Author Topic: 1861 Theddlethorpe St Helens Lookup - CHATTERTON  (Read 4256 times)

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Theddlethorpe St Helens Lookup - CHATTERTON
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joshua,

I can see you have also e-mailed me, so I will respond to that as well, and e-mail a proper tree.

But in short I descend from Charles Chatterton & Susannah Neal as follows...
The 7th of their 12 children - Charles Chatterton (1826-1891) who married Editha Ann Cole
The 1st of their 6 children - Thomas Chatterton (1848-1889) who married Maria Dunham
The 2nd of their 8 children - Thomas Ephraim Chatterton (1876-1944) who married Edith Booth
The 3rd of their 7 children - Annie Elizabeth Chatterton (1901-1999) who married James Fulton Rutherford - Annie Elizabeth Chatterton is the family member that came to Australia
The 1st of their 2 children - Shirley Pamelia Rutherford (1929-2002) who married Harold Lancefield Watts
The 1st of their 4 children - Lesley Kristine Watts who married Philip Ross Clark
The 2nd of their 3 children...that's where I fit in....

I am happy to look at your tree on My Heritage if you like to see if you are on the right track. I have been researching this family for many years and have fairly well confirmed information on the line back into the 1600s and late 1500s. Luckily for us, they left wills ;)

Charles Chatterton was born in Louth in 1794, but he married Susannah Neal in Little Cawthorpe. The couple then raised their family in Legbourne, then Little Cawthorpe, and by the 1850s were living in Theddlethorpe. I don't think you will ever be able to find the exact house that they lived in in any of these villages, the records of the time just state the village as the address/location for events. He was a farmer, and talks about his land/houses in his will in 1861, but nothing specific enough to be able to pin down an exact location I'm afraid. He farmed 74 acres in Theddlethorpe.

In answer to your query about John Chatterton (1817-1901), I have followed him in the census until 1901 and then have the burial in Theddlethorpe on 23 April 1901...which I presume you have also found. I don't have a photo of his gravestone though, or a copy of his death certificate.

I have photos of my great grandmother Annie Elizabeth Chatterton and her siblings and her mother, but no photos of her father. So I can't help there I am afraid. Also not many stories further back than her grandfather Thomas Chatterton who moved from Lincolnshire to Sheffield in Yorkshire.

I hope that helps sort things out a little for you....there are a LOT of Chattertons and they can get confusing ;)

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline JKeijsers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 08:49 GMT (UK) »
That is so helpful!!!!!!!!! I will ask more questions, but It is quite late a night here, so i will wait until tomorrow.

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 08:56 GMT (UK) »
No worries, sleep tight...I'm just about to sit down to my dinner here in Oz  ;)
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill