Author Topic: military record  (Read 698 times)

Offline moogaloo

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
military record
« on: Monday 03 November 08 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible to obtain demob papers of my grandfather Charles Young.  I have these details but don't know how to go about finding anything other than one regiment that he served in.  He apparently served in quite a few different battalions.  These are the details
British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920
about Charles Young
Name: Charles Young
Regiment or Corps: 1/Welsh Horse, 20th Rifle Brigade, Royal Welsh Fusiliers, Rifle Brigade, Labour Corps 
Regimental number: 272, 213230, 355625, 209683, 547999 

paternal - Young, Wheeler

maternal - Looney, Burns, Hartley.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: military record
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 06:54 GMT (UK) »
If he did not receive a pension - usually due to being discharged early due to injury or sickness - his papers (if they survived WW2 bombing) will be in what Ancestry call "WW1 Service Records". These are based upon microfilms which are in Kew. They have so far only published records for surnames beginning A to H.

Ancestry are giving free access to their WW1 records during November, so if you don't have his MIC in colour you should download it now. It is very interesting. Once you have it we can go through a few points.

Here is a link that with a bit of effort will tell to something about the various units he served with - http://www.1914-1918.net/menu_army.htm

The Welsh Horse are under Cavalry, then Yeomanry, for example. His papers will tell you when he transferred between each unit. Failing that you could try a post on the Great War Forum - part of 1914-1918.net - and ask experts in each of the units when the particular numbers were allocated.

Ken