Author Topic: Muirhead Cottage & Wheatlands Cottage, Denny  (Read 4905 times)

Offline LiliinTO

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Muirhead Cottage & Wheatlands Cottage, Denny
« on: Monday 03 November 08 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi!

Hoping that someone might help me in locating Muirhead Cottage and Wheatlands Cottage in Denny.

William Adie Kennedy, a carter, was living there in October 1844 when he married Elizabeth Wilson who was living at Wheatlands Cottage.

Any information at all would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lili
Researching the descendants of John Eddie Kennedy & Jean Burns of Falkirk, Denny and Kilsyth.  They were married 15 Feb 1822 in Cumbernault, Dunbarton, Scotland.  They had 12 children - 4 died young, 2 followed their husbands to Australia and 6 came to Canada with them in 1852/3.  Any help at all is appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline Billy Anderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Muirhead Cottage & Wheatlands Cottage, Denny
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lili, I have just viewed Muirhead cottage , Denny on Google earth.
It is not a great close up but you get an idea of its location and obviously still standing!<google earth.com>,good luck ,Billy.
Anderson=Glasgow, Denny,Bathgate,Kilsyth.
=USA  Alameda,New York,Boston,Illinois.
Binning= Bathgate
Miller=Kilsyth
Black, McIntyre=Ise of Lismore
Donald=Enzie
MacDonald=Denny.
Lymburner=Denny
Wright=West Lothian
Greenhorn= Blantyre,LKS.

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Any chance of a link or a Map Reference Billy?

I know the name Wheatlands but the Wheatlands I know is in Bonnybridge?

Anne

Offline LiliinTO

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Ann,

I suspect you may be right about the Wheatlands I am looking for being in Bonnybridge... 
Assuming is always dangerous but Bonnybridge would have been within the Parish of Denny...
Here is a detail of the 1844 notation of the calling of the banns.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Lili
Researching the descendants of John Eddie Kennedy & Jean Burns of Falkirk, Denny and Kilsyth.  They were married 15 Feb 1822 in Cumbernault, Dunbarton, Scotland.  They had 12 children - 4 died young, 2 followed their husbands to Australia and 6 came to Canada with them in 1852/3.  Any help at all is appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lili,

Yes, Bonnybridge, Haggs, Longcroft, Dennyloanhead & Dunipace all fell within Denny Parish.

Where did you get the 'Cottage' part? I didn't see that mentioned on the Proclamation of Banns you posted. There are lots of little cottages dotted all over the place so the chances are, if it definately was Wheatlands/Muirhead Cottages, they'll still exist although may not have the same names.

The is a Burial Record of an Agnes Addie buried in August 1846 in Dennyloanhead Churchyard. She died of Fever but there's no stone, neither is there any other information i.e. age, single, married etc.

There is also a gravestone in Denny Cemetery to a Margaret Kennedy (wife of James Risk) which says she too is buried in Dennyloanhead Churchyard. She died 28th June 1860 aged 29, cause unknown) but she's not listed on the Burial Records and again, there's no stone.

Whether or not either of these ladies are any relation to your families - time will tell!

Wheatlands (House) was owned by the Ure family.

Anne

Offline Billy Anderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne, sorry no link or grid reference,
 I could not work out how to forward them!!
I just typed in Google earth web site,.
Typed in Muirhead cottage, Denny and up it came.
As you zoom in from Space! Muirhead cottage is North west of Heads of Muir.
Sorry about the vagueness i suppose it is a bit like Rootschat meets the Amazing Race!,Billy.
Anderson=Glasgow, Denny,Bathgate,Kilsyth.
=USA  Alameda,New York,Boston,Illinois.
Binning= Bathgate
Miller=Kilsyth
Black, McIntyre=Ise of Lismore
Donald=Enzie
MacDonald=Denny.
Lymburner=Denny
Wright=West Lothian
Greenhorn= Blantyre,LKS.

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 November 08 00:05 GMT (UK) »
OK Billy!

I found them both on Google Earth but I can't figure out how to use it either, so I switched over to 'LiveSearch' (which I find much more user or should I say 'numpty' friendly)

Anyway, both cottages are still very much there. I know the people who live in Muirhead Cottage and used to know the people in Wheatlands Cottage - they sold it on a couple of years ago.

The Map References are as follows:

Muirhead Cottage - NS 817 809
Wheatlands Cottage - NS 811 809

If you use Multimap and key in the above references, then use the aerial view, hopefully, the map shown should show the cottages right in the middle. I would add links but they're horrendously long and I'm not sure that they'd work.

Lili - one way round the links not working is if you send me your personal e-mail by PM, I can forward them to you that way.
(Don't add your personal e-mail to the Public Boards!)

Anne

Offline Aussiewoo

• RootsChat Extra
  • My ancestor was in a witness protection programme
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 January 09 10:41 GMT (UK) »
My husband's grandmother, Jessie Robertina CLARK was born (illegitimate) at Muirhead Cottage on 3 Mar 1882, as per her birth index. Her mother was Elizabeth CLARK, a domestic servant. Do you know if Muirhead Cottage was always a private home and if so how would I find out who lived there at the time.
TIA
Aussiewoo
Australia
Lindsay, Kay, Clark, Campbell, Bashford, Mann

Offline Aussiewoo

• RootsChat Extra
  • My ancestor was in a witness protection programme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 June 19 23:56 BST (UK) »
Since my last post regarding my husband's family, I have discovered that my his 2nd great grandparents, Alexander Clark and Janet McNie lived in Muirhead Cottage from about 1869 until at least 1922. Alexander was a gamekeeper. Their 3 youngest children were born there in 1869, 1873 & 1879. Alexander and Janet died there 1895 and 1922 resp. Elizabeth Clark (1st great grandmother) was married there in 1884 to a Robert Wilson.
Lindsay, Kay, Clark, Campbell, Bashford, Mann