Author Topic: Frank Elwood  (Read 1806 times)

Offline Doncam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frank Elwood
« on: Tuesday 04 November 08 07:44 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find any info on Frank Elwood who was born about 1845 in Galway- this info was on one of his children's birth certificate after he came to Australia and had a family before dying in 1907 alledgedly aged 66 but his death certificate stated he was from Dublin! Confusion reigns.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frank Elwood
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 07:53 GMT (UK) »
Civil registration of births in Ireland started in 1864 so there will be no birth certificate for Frank Elwood.
Who was the informant on his death certificate? the information there is only what the informant gave and may not be accurate.
When and where did Frank marry? As he would have supplied the information on that certificate there's a better chance that it's accurate.
Is there any sort of obituary in the local newspaper when he died? what about a gravestone or cemetery records? often these will mention place of origin in Ireland, how long in Australia, etc.
To find any records of him in Ireland, like baptism, you need to know his religion and where his family lived (parish if not townland, not just county).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Doncam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Frank Elwood
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 08:45 GMT (UK) »
If only -I can  find no record of his marriage either under his name or his 'spouses' name. On his death certificate the informant was an authorised agent and was not are a relative.The info also stated 'Parents names and occupation not known' but cited ' born in Dublin - 14 years in Victoria'.
The ages of his children are shown and by checking their birth certificates I came up with only one mention of the father's place of birth - Galway.
Hence my confusion.