Author Topic: Jane Utterson lookup please  (Read 16410 times)

Offline Linda Kerse

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Utterson lookup please
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 20 August 17 17:23 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon ,
thrilled to have found this site.
my husband' s great grandmother was Elizabeth Kerse,  daughter of James Kerse and Agnes Waugh. I would love to hear about her siblings including Jane, Andrew, Mary and Ellen. I know that a sister, Charlotte, went to Canada and there are descendants in Ottawa and Vancouver, but I have little information  on the other siblings ! Regards
Linda Kerse

Offline raephilli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 20 August 17 18:05 BST (UK) »
My grandmother was Mary Kerse. I have quite a bit of family history mostly researched by my brother in Canada.
Her first husband was killed in the 1st WW and she subsequently remarried an Andrew Kerr.
If there is any specific info I can help with I'd be happy to help.
My mother was born in 1918 whilst my gran was working at The Hirsel.

Offline Linda Kerse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 21 August 17 08:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your prompt response. If you can give me as much information about Mary, Andrew, Janet and Ellen - dates and information on marriages, children and grandchildren. I have pieced together information  on Elizabeth (husband's  great-grandmother), John, Jane and Charlotte, the last three having moved overseas. But I am struggling with the others.  My late father-in-law, Frederick Roy Kerse, spoke of such pride that his ancestors had worked in service at the Hersel.

Offline raephilli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 21 August 17 10:38 BST (UK) »
Sorry if you've rec'd multiple messages. I really find this Roots site difficult to navigate.
My email is  hephilli@gmail.com  - if you would like to use that, I'll be able to provide quite a bit of info.
Rae phillips

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 29 October 17 01:46 GMT (UK) »
You might also keep in mind possible spelling variation.  I have Utterson records that were indexed as Outterson.  Kerse is sometimes confused with Ker, Kerr, etc.
Clezie (Clazie, Clezy, Clazy, Clazey, Claise, etc.), Lockhart, Heiser, Schwab, Tomon, Zarnowski, Megert, Iseli

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 30 October 17 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Kerse is a common name in the scottish borders - a family of gamekeepers and fishermen on and around the Teviot and the Tweed rivers - especially the ancrum/crailing/kelso areas - my cousin in off the infamous Robert Kerse - will have a look through some of the info I got for her and see in James shows up - Robert had a large family.

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 02 November 17 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Just thought you might be interested in the fact Jane Utterstone had a paternity case against Philip Russell Docherty lance corporal royal Scots in 1917 - child born 1916 at haddington sheriff court - Jane was a widow and living 42 west end tweedmouth - if you go to Maxwell ancesty website you can get access to the record for a small fee

Offline KevB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 30 November 20 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Just thought you might be interested in the fact Jane Utterstone had a paternity case against Philip Russell Docherty lance corporal royal Scots in 1917 - child born 1916 at haddington sheriff court - Jane was a widow and living 42 west end tweedmouth - if you go to Maxwell ancesty website you can get access to the record for a small fee

A very belated thanks for this tipoff... I have found the record in question: (https://www.scottishindexes.com/courtentry.aspx?courtid=40039055) Can anyone look at the record and relay the info on the judgement or proceedings?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 30 November 20 17:50 GMT (UK) »
A very belated thanks for this tipoff... I have found the record in question: (https://www.scottishindexes.com/courtentry.aspx?courtid=40039055) Can anyone look at the record and relay the info on the judgement or proceedings?
Anyone and everyone can look at it, including yourself, but Scottish Indexes is not a subscription site so anyone and everyone would either have to pay their fee (£5) to get the full documents from there, or go to the National Records of Scotland to view them in person. The National Records of Scotland search rooms are currently closed because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.