Author Topic: James Wilson, Battersea  (Read 35813 times)

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Wilson, Battersea
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 15 March 09 18:27 GMT (UK) »
hi jan.i am so busy but just looked in.i have been finding wilsons mentioned up in scotlandlately.i wonder if yours came from scotland in the beginning?i am hoping to be in touch with some faa soon and i will as them what they know of early scottish travellers.
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline moogester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 17 July 09 16:45 BST (UK) »
I've managed to find out a bit more about my Wilsons, but need help again please!!  I still don't know James (1845) wife Sarah's maiden name, but I have managed to track down James (1804) wife's which was Jane Sowden (b 1804 Kirby Moorside, Yorks).  I can find no marriage records for either couple and no parents for the wives or James the elder.  I am looking for:

James Wilson (b 1804 Oldham, Yorks) parents
Jane Sowden (b 1804, Kirby Moorside, Yorks) parents
Where and when they were married (eldest son John born c1837, Sunderland so presumably sometime before that)
1841 census entry
James Wilson (b 1845 Mansfield, Notts) birth entry
1851 census
Sarah ? (born 1855, Greenwich) birth and parents
1871 and 1881 census entries for James and Sarah.
Death dates for James and Jane (1804) which I believe were in Kent

I have all the other censuses, but the records listed above I haven't been able to find despite intensive research!  This board was extremely helpful last time and I would be very grateful for any info anyone has!!

Offline Ginnybegood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 31 August 09 00:27 BST (UK) »
I am still searching but have a possible lead and will have to order a birth certificate which will hopefully answer my query about Florence  she married in 1939 at aldershot ( see my previous post)
Terry.Turner.Donovan .Nutton. Wilson. Mctigue

Offline neilpms

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 07 September 09 13:28 BST (UK) »
There seems to be too many names and coincidences/places on this thread for me to ignore

My GG grandmother was a Sarah Wilson born about 1822 in Frensham (Farnham) to John and Sarah Wilson, John was a "Chair bottomer" from East Acton

Sarah married my GG Grandfather, Mark Parker, born Ash near Farnham in 1819, Father Mark, Mother Elizabeth, both described in Parish reocrds as Travellers.

Mark and Sarah were also travellers living in vans, they turned up in census records until 1881 on Epsom Downs, Putney Heath, Barking and eventually Frimley where according to the local paper in 1882, Sarah drunk herself to death after a binge session at The Rose & Thistle Public House.

Also, wherever i find Parkers in the census records there always seems to be a family of Penfolds travelling around with them.

I also have a Charlotte Guess or Guest from East Peckham marrying into the family

Could John Wilson be related in any way to the Wilsons from Battersea and farnham?

any help would be appreciated

Neil

Offline moogester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 10 September 09 15:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil,  I've  had a look at what information I have about  the Wilsons and I can't find a connection with the Parkers.   As travellers it's hard  to pin down an area (although  my Wilsons did  settle in Battersea after 1901).  It could be just  coincidence they were in  Farnham on the 1871 where your ancestors originated.  I'm still researching this line, if I come across any Parkers  I'll let you know.

Offline girlflorida

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 09 January 10 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I am new to the Ancestry thing, but just found this info.

I am the Grandaughter of Thomas Penfold and Jane ( nee Harvey ) Penfold
They had 2 sons, Thomas and Belcher, the latter being my Father.
Both sons were born in the caravan site in Battersea

I have traced Thomas parents, Christopher and Patience and Christophers father, John.
Also, Jane was born in Suffolk, her parents were frederick and Eliza Harvey and she had a twin brother Edward.
I am learning more as I go along.

I do remember the tales my Father told or when he was a boy, going from racecourse to racecourse with the horses. a far cry from when I was a child ! 
 Cheers
Gaye Vogel ( nee Penfold

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 09 January 10 22:47 GMT (UK) »
I have Wilsons, I wondered if they were connected to the current Wilson funfair but cant find a connection.  Anyway, I have John Wilson born 1833 in Sunderland, Tyne & Wear who married Patience and was an earthenware hawker. They were in Kent by 1855 and had 7 children that I know of. Think they were deceased by 1911, but in 1901 they were in 'caravans' on the High Brooms Road.  Their youngest child Charity is my interest, she married into the Roberts gypsies. Does this ring a bell with anyone?  Ps, the eldest sons middle name was Farr, which MAY have been another surname in the family.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline moogester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 18 February 10 11:22 GMT (UK) »
I have Wilsons, I wondered if they were connected to the current Wilson funfair but cant find a connection.  Anyway, I have John Wilson born 1833 in Sunderland, Tyne & Wear who married Patience and was an earthenware hawker. They were in Kent by 1855 and had 7 children that I know of. Think they were deceased by 1911, but in 1901 they were in 'caravans' on the High Brooms Road.  Their youngest child Charity is my interest, she married into the Roberts gypsies. Does this ring a bell with anyone?  Ps, the eldest sons middle name was Farr, which MAY have been another surname in the family.

Hi, we have a match!  My James Wilson was your John Wilson's brother!  John died in Thanet, Kent 1908 and Patience on 21 April 1911 in Southborough, Kent.  She appears on the 1911 census living by herself in a caravan next door to her daughter Jane and son George Beaney at  High Broom Road Southborough, Kent. 

Offline origins

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 18 February 10 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi moogester.

I have Jane Sowden baptised 1809 Kirkbymoorside, daughter of Jeremiah and Jane.  Would be the sister of Esther Sowden born 1794 Holme upon Spalding moor.  Esther married James Swales my e x great grandparents, all travelling people, hawkers.

Val
Rodgers; Smith; Banks; Lawson; Mead; Horseley; Firth: Whitby, Lythe,Loftus, North Yorkshire.
Harker,Swales, Stephenson: Stokesley, Stockton,  South Bank, Middlesbrough Yorkshire.
Tapp, Nosworthy: Devon & Middlesex, London