Author Topic: James Wilson, Battersea  (Read 27919 times)

Offline moogester

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Wilson, Battersea
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 18 February 10 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi origins,

I have the same birth and baptism dates for Jane Sowden (1809), but a different mother.  I have her mother as Mary Swales!  This is according to the IGI index, but I could be wrong!

Offline origins

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 18 February 10 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi moogester,

Sorry I should have looked more closeley, Jane 1809 was d/o Jeremiah and Ann Steel.!!!!!     So confusing.   Maybe your Jane isn't the sister of Esther.  Funnily no Jane Sowden 1804 comes up in Kirkby moorside.  Sure you have the right date.   

Val
Rodgers; Smith; Banks; Lawson; Mead; Horseley; Firth: Whitby, Lythe,Loftus, North Yorkshire.
Harker,Swales, Stephenson: Stokesley, Stockton,  South Bank, Middlesbrough Yorkshire.
Tapp, Nosworthy: Devon & Middlesex, London

Offline moogester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 18 February 10 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Val,

Jane was born 23 Sep 1809 and baptised 1 Oct 1809 in Kirkby Moorside, it was her husband James Wilson that was born c1804 in Oldham.  It must be a coincidence there were two Jane Sowdens born in the same year and same place both with Jeremiah as their father.  My Jeremiah married Mary Swales 15 Oct 1808 in Kirkby Moorside, so they couldn't have been your Esther's parents.  How confusing!

Kim

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 18 February 10 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Moogester, sorry I only just read the new posts...when you say we have a match did you mean with me or someone else?  Ive been trying to find Johns family for ages!  His daughter Charity married Billy 'Jockey' Wilson, (my great great grandads brother) they were in a vardo on the 1911 census in wales. Im now in touch with Jockey & Charity's great grandaughter.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline moogester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 18 February 10 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rebekah

I did mean you, but you've confused me now (not hard!!) 

I have John Wilson born c1837 in Sunderland (my great, great grandfather's brother)  who married Patience Hylton.  Their daughter Charity born 1875, married William Roberts.  Was your Billy 'Jockey' Wilson originally a Roberts but took Charity's surname Wilson?

Kim

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 18 February 10 16:52 GMT (UK) »
No no no, me being a dinlow!!  Billy (Jockey) was a Roberts sorry!!   Definately not a Wilson.  (Doh...)  I have his kids/grandkids etc if you need them.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 18 February 10 17:00 GMT (UK) »
PS, I was born in Mansfield and lived there for 16 yrs!

Offline moogester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 18 February 10 17:05 GMT (UK) »
This lot definitely are confusing.  Charity's sister Jane married Henry James Beaney who I'm told changed his name to Wilson to save confusion over hop picking wages with another Henry Beaney, so a name change would not have been out of character!

I've got their kids and the 1911 census, but I'd love their grandchildren too.  Is there anything I might have you need?

BTW the photos I posted near the beginning of the thread are of John's brother James and his wife.

James eventually settled in Battersea and his family and their wives and children appear on the 1911 census living in the same street.  Ironic really for a traveller, but my great gran lived in that same house until the late 60s, then moved about a mile down the road where she lived until she died in 1991.  I was brought up in Battersea, but now live in Kent

Kim

Kim

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 18 February 10 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Kim
I havent looked at the other pages on this thread yet, but will do. Oh my Lord, I cant believe you have a pic of James!!  Well Charity and Billy/Jockey had kids Patience, Selina, Samson, John, Henry, Charity and Absalom.  Patience married George Beeney and had Charity and Esther. Henry married Lydia Emmett (gypsy) and had Lena, Abraham, Henry, William, Lydia, Ezekiel and John. Ezekiel was known as Cia.  Abraham is still alive!  and is known as punchy as he was a fighter.  Im in touch with his daughter and granddaughters. Abraham married into the Rossiter family.