Author Topic: James Wilson, Battersea  (Read 35817 times)

Offline moogester

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Wilson, Battersea
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 18 February 10 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Rebekah.  I can expand on Patience and George's family.  Along with Charity and Esther they also had: Lena, Genty, Lottie, George, Apsey, William, Marion and Patience.  I'll have a scour through my tree and see what else I can come up with. 

I've been in touch with a few descendants of John and Patience, one of whom didn't know the family were travellers.  She thought is was great but said her mother was a bit of a snob and would have been horrified  ;D

Kim

Offline origins

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 19 February 10 04:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi moogester,

Had a look at Kirby Moorside on IGI.  I found the marriage your talking about for Jeremiah and Mary Swales.   But the baptism record for Jane Souden (Sowden) says father Jeremiah and mother Ann Steel.  Am wondering if you have the correct info.   Has the dates you stated.

Val
Rodgers; Smith; Banks; Lawson; Mead; Horseley; Firth: Whitby, Lythe,Loftus, North Yorkshire.
Harker,Swales, Stephenson: Stokesley, Stockton,  South Bank, Middlesbrough Yorkshire.
Tapp, Nosworthy: Devon & Middlesex, London

Offline moogester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 19 February 10 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Val,

Don't know what I've been looking at, but I've checked IGI again and Jane's parents are Jeremiah and Ann Steel, which you said!  Which would make Esther her sister!  I got there in the end  :-[  Lots of corrections on my tree now I think.

Kim

Offline origins

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 19 February 10 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kim,

My Esther's parents were Jeremiah and Jane, so not the sister of your Jane if her mother was Ann Steel.  There seem to be quite a few Jeremiahs. 

Saw on this board that there is a Steel family that were travellers, wonder if  Ann Steel was part of that family.    Couldn't find a marriage for Jeremiah Sowden and Ann Steel.  Good luck!!!!

Val
Rodgers; Smith; Banks; Lawson; Mead; Horseley; Firth: Whitby, Lythe,Loftus, North Yorkshire.
Harker,Swales, Stephenson: Stokesley, Stockton,  South Bank, Middlesbrough Yorkshire.
Tapp, Nosworthy: Devon & Middlesex, London

Offline moogester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 19 February 10 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Val  :)

Offline moogester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 26 February 10 13:19 GMT (UK) »
More help needed please - this time for James' wife, Sarah.

I applied for what I had thought was their marriage certificate, but found it was not the right one.  Now I'm stuck.  I have lots of clues for Sarah, but I cannot find a marriage and therefore her maiden name  :-\

Sarah (no middle name mentioned anywhere) was born according to the 1891, 1901, 1911 censuses and death register between 1851 and 1857.

She was born in Greenwich, but the 1911 census has Woolwich crossed out and replaced with Greenwich so I'm assuming this is the registration district and not the actual birth location.

The 1911 also states James and Sarah  had been married for 31 years.

The Wilson family were travelling in the the South East of England (mainly London, Kent and Sussex) but I cannot locate James and Sarah's marriage.

I really have hit a brick wall with this one and would be grateful for any suggestions.

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 26 February 10 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Many gypsies just didnt marry, I have this problem with a lot of mine.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline moogester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 27 February 10 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Many gypsies just didnt marry, I have this problem with a lot of mine.

I'm begining to wonder if this was the case.  None of their children have birth certificates so that's a real possibility.  Oh well, I guess Sarah might have to stay a mystery!

Kim

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 29 March 10 12:14 BST (UK) »
Just viewed 1911 census, John Wilson 1833 had died in 1908 BUT his widow Patience Wilson nee Hylton was in a caravan on High Brooms Rd, Tonbridge - just as they had been 10 years previously. Also in a caravan nearby was 60 yr old widdowed Jane Beeney and her son George.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).