Author Topic: James Wilson, Battersea  (Read 27894 times)

Offline KLVG

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Wilson, Battersea
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 19 August 12 15:07 BST (UK) »
Dear Gambier;

I was interested to note your connection to Timothy Squire. I am a descendant of Timothy Squire and Mary Wells through their son James Squire (transported to Australia in 1785 on the Charlotte).

I would appreciate any information that you could provide me of the Squires pre 1785.

Sincerely, Karen

Offline James Donohoe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 15 September 12 03:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I descend from James Squire, first feet arrival in Aust. 1788, his daughter Sarah (Lucas), then Martha Lucas (Goodin), John Andrew Goodin, Mary Emily Goodin (Egan), Kathleen Clare Egan (Donohoe) then me (two more generations after me).
The family myths claim James Squire as a Gypsy as you have discussed.
I have just published "Captain Bligh's Petticoat Mutiny" (on Kindle DP) about the overthrow of William Bligh ("Bounty" Bligh) by the NSW Corps on 26.01.1808. It was James Squire who started the ball rolling against Bligh and he is the focus of my book together with the identity and backgound on hundreds of other people subjected to Bligh's extensive abuses here. James Squire was among the first to challenge Bligh! I am also writing the history of James Squire's families in Australia since 1788 and even earlier. This work indexes in family order his known descendants. I expect that there are 20,000 descendants but only located 4,000 so far. Keen to learn more about this fascinating character.  James Hugh Donohoe

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline amandas123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 25 March 13 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Val,

Jane was born 23 Sep 1809 and baptised 1 Oct 1809 in Kirkby Moorside, it was her husband James Wilson that was born c1804 in Oldham.  It must be a coincidence there were two Jane Sowdens born in the same year and same place both with Jeremiah as their father.  My Jeremiah married Mary Swales 15 Oct 1808 in Kirkby Moorside, so they couldn't have been your Esther's parents.  How confusing!

Kim

Dear Val and Kim

I am wondering whether you have got a birth record or anything else of the Jeremiah Sowden you identify as marrying Mary Swales in 1808 Kirbymoorside.  

At first I thought he remarried to Mary after death of his first wife Jane but now am doubting that as we have found birth and death records of Jeremiah 1755 - 1835 and Jane 1752 - 1835.  They both died in Kirbymoorside in the same year so he couldn't have remarried unless we've got the wrong dead couple or he was a bigamist.

So I have to assume there is a son Jeremiah born sometime around 1780-90 who goes on to marry Mary Swales.  But I can't find any record of this mysterious son except in the marriage in 1809 which does not indicate his age. If correct this Jeremiah would have been the brother of Esther Sowden (Swales). 

As for the Jane Souden confusion.  I have worked it out like this BUT am willing to be pointed out wrong!

John Sowden (born about 1730)

his children:
1. unnamed boy Sawdon on 5th Feb 1758 Bridlington - your man!
2. Jeremiah 1755 - 1835 (dates recorded on death record) and goes on to marry Jane (Swailes) - they have a son, the missing Jeremiah in about 1780 who marries Mary Swales.  They also have Esther.

Your man - unnamed Sawdon boy goes on to have (big guess here)
1. Jeremiah in about 1779 who marries Anne Steel (1789 - 1871) no marriage record. 

Jeremiah Sowden and Anne Steel go on to have
1. Jeremiah Sowden about 1810 who marries Ann Argreement recorded 1830 in Whitby
2. Jane Souden (Sowden) 23 Sep 1809 in Kirbymoorside who marries James Wilson...

By my reckoning Jane Souden (Wilson) is a cousin to Esther and neice to Jeremiah Sowden (1755 - 1835) and Jane (Swailes 1752 - 1835)

The other confusion - Jeremaih and Mary Swales:
So mystery Jeremiah born about 1780 marries Mary Swales in Kirbymoorside in 1808 as recorded. They go on to have a Jeremiah (b 1815 in Whitby) plus other children.  Jeremiah 1815 Whitby goes on to marry Mary Ann Gibbins in 1855 (York) when he is 40 and she 30 and they have one child only - Mary Ann in 1862. 

This is a late marriage and so I assume Jeremiah's first wife dies but cant find any prior marriage or previous children which would probably be around 1833 (when he was 18).    Of course this earlier  marriage could be to Ann Argreement who I have married above to another Jeremiah b around 1810 and I can't remember the reason I dismissed this - probably dates not matching or something.  But looking at it now - it would work.  She is recorded as being 20 at marriage in 1830 so born in 1809. 2 death records of Ann Sowden her married name - 1847 and 1845 in Brid.

Phew!  Hope this is clear!  Got a feeling it isn't. 

I sat with bits of paper and worked it out like a jigsaw.  BUT not sure - logic does not always apply in these cases and especially with missing records. 

Offline amandas123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 25 March 13 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Val - I know you have the same info as me!  Question directed at Kim but other info for both.
Amanda

Offline moogester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Amanda, I'd forgotten all about this thread!  I haven't worked on this branch of my tree for ages, so it's going to take me time to re familiarise myself with it.  I do recall it was an absolute nightmare to find some records though.  I'd stick with the information you've researched, when I get a chance I'll have a look and try to work out how I came to the conclusions I did!  Good luck!
Kim

Offline amandas123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Dear Kim
Take my schema as a guide only.  Most was guesswork and with throwing in the odd person with no birth records existing but guessing that they must have existed!  Am always open to new interpretations.  ;)

Amanda

Offline moogester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 12:59 GMT (UK) »
lol Amanda, very much like my method of research for this branch of the family!!  Kim

Offline paultheastronomer

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 06 August 19 19:47 BST (UK) »
Dear moogester (Kim),

I am a direct descendant of James Wilson (who is being discussed in this thread). Please make contact with me. I believe we have a lot to verify and discuss. You can reach me through my website: paulanthonywilson.com

Kind Regards,

Paul