Author Topic: McDonald - Urquhart & Glenmoriston  (Read 34093 times)

Offline RSMACL

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McDonald - Urquhart & Glenmoriston
« Reply #18 on: Monday 14 February 11 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Further to my (and Stephen from Canada)  earlier posts re McDonalds from Lewiston, and Urquhart & Glenmoriston area, particularly of MALCOLM McDONALD, I have had a small 'breakthrough' in my research and am wondering if I am on the right track?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I have traced Malcolm McDonald : born as a twin, with John, 16 June, 1768 Tulloch, Dingwall, parents Alexander McDonald/Betty Reid; and 4 more children = Janet, Kathrine, Joseph and Jean, all born at Tulloch, Dingwall.
I then discovered MALCOLM McDONALD of Bunloit's first marriage to Janet, dau. of Wm. McDonald & Margaret Sinclair, Moy.  Janet McDonald was born 16.3.1760 Bellie parish, Fochaber.  Children of Malcolm/Janet McDonald were: 1. Grizel b. 18.4.1789 in (indecipherable - G'end?), Parish Urq/Glenm. to "Malcolm McDonald, Wright, and Janet; 2. William b.1.12.1791 in Moy, Urq/Glenm. DIED 15.3.1804, Fochaber, Bellie; 3. Isabel b. 26.6.1794 in Moy, Urq./Glenm.; 4. Barbra born 2/5/1796 in Moy, ditto;5. Ann born 18.19.1801, in Moy, ditto.   All children born in Moy but parish of Urquhart/Glenmoriston.
 Did this parish extend beyond Inverness at that time? 
I haven't been able to trace first wife Janet McDonald's death, but Malcolm remarried as a WIDOWER in Lewiston (as stated in earlier posts) to Mary McKENZIE from the Parish of Ferrintosh 1.1.1820; cannot find any definite record of her birth (IGI gives her date abt.1800 but they give her husband Malcolm's birth as c.1795).  Children of this marriage were: Murdoch (he is a confirmed definite person) b.23.1.1812, Lewiston, Urq./Glenmor.  I know his following details - such as marriage, death, kids, etc. 
Second child was William Hughin McDonald b.3.6.1825, Lewiston, ditto.   Cannot find  any further info. on him altho. there are numerous Williams who could be he.  1881 Census lists a William (58) b. c.1825, Parish of Petty, Carpenter empl. 1 girl and a Jane (74) shown as his wife!and an Ann McDonald shown as visitor.   Anyone have any suggestions please?  Ruth in Australia.

Offline JohnXXIII

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 07 March 11 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Another Glenurquhart MacDonald was John, a house carpenter, from near Borlum Bridge.  John MacDonald's daughter, Margaret married James MacKintosh, who was born in Lewiston in 1799, on 31/1/1828.  James was a Tailor in Fort Augustus at that time and later decribed 'of Bunoich'. 
Scotland: McIntosh, Wallace, McLeod, Chisolm

Offline RSMACL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 07 March 11 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, John.  To get off the topic subject completely, I notice you have McLeod and Chisholm in your tree interests.  My husband John MacLeod (McLeod) has Chisholms in his ancestry,  originally from Kiltarlity, Inverness-shire, also his McLeods date back to Isle of Raasay, and later in Inverness.  Any connections there?

Offline JohnXXIII

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 07 March 11 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Donald,
One question for you (or anyone else who might know) - Malcom and Mary's second Son was named William Hughin Mcdonald b.1825. This is the first time I've come across a name like Hughin. Any ideas as to whether they were just being creative with Hugh or maybe Hughin was a surname of an ancestor?

I think Ewen is the gaelic form of Hugh, so perhaps this is a hybrid.  There were a few 'Hugh MacKenzies' around Glenurquhart.   My relative Isabella McIntosh (of Lewiston)  married a Hugh MacKenzie in the Glen in 1827.   The Hughin may come from the MacKenzie side of the family.

John Mc

Offline JohnXXIII

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 07 March 11 21:49 GMT (UK) »
My husband John MacLeod (McLeod) has Chisholms in his ancestry,  originally from Kiltarlity, Inverness-shire, also his McLeods date back to Isle of Raasay, and later in Inverness.  Any connections there?

My McLeod connection is one of my enduring mysteries, details on the link below,
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~johnmc46lc/William1.html

Your reply was rapid.  thanks John

Offline rhodamackenzie1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 07 April 12 21:04 BST (UK) »
In reply to Maclost,

re Alexander MacDonald and Catherine Sinclair - I've just been researching this line for my Dad's cousin - her direct line leads to them through their son Archibald b1822.

Cheers, Rhoda

Offline msmx

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anndra,

Are you still around?  I live in Australia and my name is Malcolm McDonald.

I believe am descended from Archibald Peter McDonald and Isabella Elizabeth Muir both born around 1790 and lived in the Glenmoriston area ?

I would be very interested in your timelining (xls file) of MacDonalds in U&G, but cannot PM before doing 3 posts!!!

Regards,
Malcolm McDonald

Offline Chris_RiverRaisin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 23 August 18 18:35 BST (UK) »
I have identified nine veterans of the Revolutionary War named McDonell who settled in Canada who may have been born in Glenmoriston.

They all gave written evidence to the Loyalist Claims Commission for property they had left behind in the Mohawk, Delaware and Susquehanna valleys of New York province.

We have quite a lot of information on their descendants here in Canada.

But there is almost nothing about their ancestry, which was clearly in Glenmoriston -- around Inverwick, Dundreggan and Tomachraiskie.

A father of at least one of these emigrants may have been a William McDonald, but that's the only indication we have so far.

Many of the them inter-married with Grants from Glenmoriston, who were also part of the three or more voyages -- two in 1773 (including the Pearl), one in 1774 -- that brought them to America, then later (starting in 1775 for some, as late as 1784 for others) to Canada.

They were almost certainly farmers on the wades of Aonach and Duldreggan.  One or more may have been sons of Alexander McDonald/McDonell, who held the tack of Dalchreichart or Duldreggan up to the '45, was one of the Seven (or Eight) Men of Glenmoriston, and died in 1751.

One of them may be John McDonald/McDonell, alias Campbell, another of the Eight Men, who apparently emigrated to America in the period 1773-75.

This John McDonald/McDonell apparently married Elspy Grant.  He may have been born as early as 1715. (John McDonell of Ballroom -- see below -- clearly describes himself as too old to serve in the British army during the revolutionary war.)

The dates of birth would likely have been between 1725 and 1755.

Here are the names and identifiers, as we have them:

John McDonell of Dolegreggen (definitely Dundreggan)
John McDonell of Inveroucht (probably Inverwick)
John McDonell of Tomachraiskie
John McDonell of Baldrom
John McDonell of Auchingleen (possibly Achlain)
Hugh McDonell (1750-1836) of Glenmoriston
-- this Hugh McDonell married a daughter of Alexander McSorley Cameron, also of Glenmoriston
Duncan McDonell of Glenmoriston (indicated on claim)
Roderick McDonell (1742-1809) of Glenmoriston (indicated on claim; gravestone reads "a native of Glenmorisson"; died on May 11th 1809)
Donald McDonell of Glenmoriston (indicated on claim)

Anndra, would your database have any birth or baptism information for these farmers, or the names of their parents?  I would be hugely grateful for any assistance you can provide.

Offline Chris_RiverRaisin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 03 September 18 17:11 BST (UK) »
These McDonells of Glenmoriston were obviously related to several branches of the Grant family that also settled in Glengarry, Canada.

At least two of these settlers (and possibly several more) were children of Angus/Aeneas Grant (1702-79), of Duldreggan.

Others were children of John Grant (born 1707), of Craskie.

At the same a son of Patrick Grant (1701-86), 7th of Glenmoriston, was (starting 1792) a member of the Legislative and Executive Councils of the Province of Upper Canada.

Another famous figure, Big John 'the Robber' Grant, who returned from exile in Bermuda, was apparently also a loyalist, though he may have died before reaching Upper Canada.

These were all close relatives of Black Peter/Patrick Grant of Glenmoriston -- one the famous Eight Men who protected the Pretender.

A daughter of either Aeneas Grant of Duldreggan or of John Grant of Craskie was apparently married to John Macdonald of Dulreichart, who was the leader of this group of Eight Men of Glenmoriston.

John Macdonald of Dulreichart apparently also emigrated to America in 1774-75, and it is possible that he or his children were among the original settlers after 1784 in Charlottenburgh Township, Glengarry County, Upper Canada.

In other words, the Grants of Glenmoriston