Author Topic: McDonald - Urquhart & Glenmoriston  (Read 34095 times)

Offline bigmac1x

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McDonald - Urquhart & Glenmoriston
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 April 09 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hi again Anndra,
I probably should have mentioned my McDonalds. Malco(l)m Mcdonald married his second wife Mary McKenzie in Lewiston in 1820 had a Son, Murdo Mcdonald in 1821 and another Son (pretty sure) William Hughin(?) Mcdonald in 1825. Have no idea where Malcolm and Mary were from or who their Parents were. Murdo moved to the Black Isle and married Chrisitan Urquhart in 1846 and raised a family in Cullicudden. William Hughin (?) I have no idea what happened to him.
Any help with Malcolm, Mary or William (or Malcolm's frist Wife, and kids), would be appreciated.
Stephen in Toronto

Offline anndra

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 April 09 14:10 BST (UK) »
The McDonalds of U&G didn't seem to mix much with the McDonalds of Lewiston/Drumnacdrochit, or even the MCDonnells of U&G for that matter!
Have sent you an e-mail with the timeline so keep an eye out for it in case your spam filter bins it.
Good luck.
Anndra
Black,Hutton,Lyle,Ayrshire; Dickson,Berwickshire; Haig,Leitch,Clazy,Harle,Berwickshire/Roxburghshire; Low/Lowe,McLagan,Millar,Mclauchlan,Stewart,Douglass, Perthshire; MacKenzie,McAngus,McRae,Skinner,Vass,Ross-shire; McDonald,Duff,Muir, Inverness-shire; Raff,Thomson,Riach, Moray; Shiels,Monteith, East/Midlothian; Meiklejohn,Turcan,Cumming,Nasmyth,Donald, Fife.

Offline RSMACL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 April 09 13:27 BST (UK) »
I also am very interested in any information you might have on the
Malco(l)m McDonald born Glen Urquhart, who married Mary McKenzie in Lewiston, Glen Urquhart, as a WIDOWER in 1820....mentioned in message from Stephen MacDonald (who is my husband's second cousin once removed).  You mentioned to him, that you were sending an email to him, giving timeline, etc. Was this sent offline as I couldn't see it., and I don't think he has received it, as of today's date; Stephen and I are in continuous contact.
We know of two of their children, Murdoch McDonald, b.1820-1, Glen Urquhart, and William Hughin McDonald b. 1825, Petty.
Ruth MacLeod, in Australia

Offline Donald the Pier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 July 09 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hullo Anndra
Peter MacDonald was my great great great grandfather and was from Invermoriston (I'm from Invermoriston myself). I found out from an old letter that his father's name was Archibald. I know quite a lot about his son Donald MacDonald, my great great grandfather.

Here are Donald MacDonald's gravestone details.
Erected to the memory of Mary Gray who departed this life on the 5th March 1831 aged 60 years. The beloved wife of Donald MacDonald carpenter, Glenmoriston. Also of the said Donald MacDonald who died 28th November 1867 aged 82 years. She is not dead but sleepeth. Matthew ix 24 verse.

And his household details from the 1851 census
Schedule 26             
   donald    mcdonald    head    married    34    carrier    urquhart
   mary    mcdonald    wife    married    31       urquhart
   ann    mcdonald    daughter       4    scholar    urquhart
   peter    mcdonald    son       1       urquhart
   christy    gary    servant    unmarried    34    house servant    urquhart26             

I've attached Archibald's family tree. Have a look at my website for more info (www.glenmoriston.org.uk) which has got census and cemetery data or get in touch with me at sm00dmd  at uhi dot ac dot uk.

Donald MacDonald

Offline bigmac1x

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 July 09 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Donald,
Thanks for the background. I've never been able to find any connection between my Mcdonalds in Lewiston and yours in Invermoriston - and it's only  10 miles away! There's probably something but I'll bet it's many generations earlier than I've been able to get back to which is Malcom (Malcolm) who married Mary McKenzie in Lewiston in 1820 and had 2 kids there. Haven't been able to find either of their birth records so have no idea if born there or migrated from somewhere else. Don't even know if Malcom had siblings in the area.
One question for you (or anyone else who might know) - Malcom and Mary's second Son was named William Hughin Mcdonald b.1825. This is the first time I've come across a name like Hughin. Any ideas as to whether they were just being creative with Hugh or maybe Hughin was a surname of an ancestor? His birth record is attached. Strange - Mary's first name is missing (although they left a space for it).

Offline WilliamAdams89

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 10 July 10 18:22 BST (UK) »
I recently found out that William McDonald born 1848 in Glenurquhart to William McDonald & Catherine McDonald nee McDonald married Elizabeth H Robb in June of 1885, a cousin of mine. William on his marriage record is given as a widower & Elizabeth as a widow. He is also given as a seaman in the RN on HMS Clyde. Has anyone on this list any data that may be of use to me as I have been unable to find/prove his parents via census returns or find any data for William. His parents names come from his marriage record.
His parents were married, I believe, 3 July 1844 at Urquhart & Glenmoriston, data from a Scotland's People record
Bill & Rosie Adams in Sri Lanka

Offline anndra

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 11 July 10 08:07 BST (UK) »
Some time ago I timelined all of the McDonalds of Invermoriston from 1732, the first OPR record, to 1854. William and Catherine have two children recorded, Alexander 09 Sep 1840, and Eliza 30 Mar 1843. There are many years without  records but you may be able to find a family naming convention link. If you would like a copy of the .xls file drop me a pm and I'll attach it to the reply.
Black,Hutton,Lyle,Ayrshire; Dickson,Berwickshire; Haig,Leitch,Clazy,Harle,Berwickshire/Roxburghshire; Low/Lowe,McLagan,Millar,Mclauchlan,Stewart,Douglass, Perthshire; MacKenzie,McAngus,McRae,Skinner,Vass,Ross-shire; McDonald,Duff,Muir, Inverness-shire; Raff,Thomson,Riach, Moray; Shiels,Monteith, East/Midlothian; Meiklejohn,Turcan,Cumming,Nasmyth,Donald, Fife.

Offline WilliamAdams89

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 11 July 10 12:37 BST (UK) »
Dear Anndra,
Thank you for the prompt response to my query and the very kind offer of the data. I would be very pleased to have the data and I assume by PM you mean my e-mail address. It is (*)
Thank you in advance for the data. You have already given me clues to help my searching by giving me the names of Williams siblings.
Bill & Rosie in a hot & humid Sri Lanka

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline MacLost

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 24 January 11 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Dear Anndra,

I have been searching for my McDonald Ancestors in the Urquhart and Glenmoriston area of Scotland, and have been led to the Rootschat website. I realise I may be a bit late to join the party, but I noticed in one of your posts from last year that you mentioned you had catalogued all the McDonalds living in this area.

I am currently searching for an Alexander McDonald who was an Ag. Lab or Shepherd, married to Catherine Sinclair. In the 1841 Census he was listed as being resident at Blairie. By 1851 he was deceased as Catherine was living with her son. Alexander was born c.1796 and must have married Catherine prior to 1821. Together they had 7 children, Margaret (b.1821), Archibald (b.1822), Ann (b.1824), William (1829), Alexander (b.1834), Mary (b.1835) and Helen (b.1839).

I was wondering if you happened to know whether there was an OPR record for Alexander's death, and if you know if there is any further information regarding this family around this time?

Any help or information would be most grateful.

MacLost