Author Topic: McDonald - Urquhart & Glenmoriston  (Read 34077 times)

Offline kfrye173

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McDonald - Urquhart & Glenmoriston
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 20 June 21 19:57 BST (UK) »
That's unfortunate, It is a hard case to make to someone who knows their history already and wouldn't necessarily see the benefit of such and expensive exercise.  If you ever get the chance to speak to them, please let them know that there are a number of us who would gladly pool some  money needed to help cover the cost of the test.  All we would need is their spit.  Hate to see a missed opportunity to validate the lineage and look for that mythical SNP mutation that might show a distinction between the Craskie and Duldreggan lines or just validate the closeness of the GM Grants. 

Offline young1451

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 20 June 21 22:23 BST (UK) »
Who you are, is unknown to me. The Peter Grant of Isle of Skye, fathered John Grant of Lachine [near Montreal] d. 1817; and several others, prior to marrying Janet Duldraeggan Grant 1736 1766, mother of Peter Grant of Lachine [and 4 others].
Honourable Alexander Grant of L'Orignal [Ontario], served Parliament Upper Canada, hence the Honourable, and one of his 2 tombstones at CASSBURN Cemetery [also located L'Orignal] says Judge, though he was more likely a Justice of the Peace [as was his father, John Duldraeggan Grant 1737 1802].
What interest do you have in my family ?            J.

Offline young1451

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 20 June 21 22:36 BST (UK) »
Sorry Mr Frye. My comment was to another.
As to your advice about spitting in a cup !!! These folks are my Friends, Cousins, Neighbours, and quite capable of making their own decisions on their probable heritage.

Offline kfrye173

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 20 June 21 22:55 BST (UK) »
Spit is still pretty offensive, I agree.  I just checked the FTDNA site re: Grant Surname DNA and it appears there are a couple different SNPs associated with Craskie and Dundreggan, meaning it appears that someone from Duldreggan  (or more) have completed the test, The site makes it anonymous, so hard to know who, but the addition of Duldreggan to the description of DNA takers is new. 

The SNP mutation appeared to have happened in about 100 years ago, so outside of our range for the Craskie Duldreggan test.  Not a lot of other mutations are noted in the last 1000 years (either not tested for or a very stable Y chromosome).  Here is a couple snippets from the site that are of interest:

The Descendants of the Clan Chiefs and related septs.

Those of you who are indeed genetically related to the Clan Chiefs can be found in Group A and its subgroups (see the Y-DNA Results link at the top of the homepage for DNA groupings).  Several known Chiefly descendants have been tested, and the following Chiefly families are now represented within the Project (with family specific SNPs noted where possible):

Z17274 & Z21133 positive & DYS620=8:

Freuchie
Corriemonie (R-A578)
Shuglie (R-A578)
Glenmoriston (R-A1226 & R-A1227)
Craskie/Duldreggen (R-A1226 & R-A1227)
Blairfindy (Longueuil)
Kilgraston

It is a testament to the homogeneity of the GM lineage (Craskie and Duldreggan inclusive) that they all share the same SNP mutations.     

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 21 June 21 00:29 BST (UK) »
I don't know you either.  I have a few Grant's in my line 4 different unrelated families all via marriage.  And on my maternal side two UEL's hence I have strong interest in colonial history including HBC and the fur trade as kin from Skye and the Orkney's did 2 terms with them.

So no idea where Peter Grant from Skye came from...too bad.

https://images.findagrave.com/photos/2016/347/137186260_1481659177.jpg its a memorial erected by his friends.
https://www.ontariocourts.ca/en/formerjudges
http://www.biographi.ca/en/bio/grant_alexander_5E.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Grant_(Upper_Canada_politician)

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline young1451

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 21 June 21 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Don. That Memorial photo you sent is for a different Honourable Alexander Grant, not the one from L'Orignal. Go to FindAGrave website, find Cassburn Cemetery in Ontario, lookup all GRANT, there he is. My guy ran  Trading Post on Ottawa River called Duldraeggan Hall. His friend John MacDonell Jr. of Scotus had Trading Post downriver near Pointe Fortune, and this John's brother was Miles McDonell of Scotus, 1st Governor of Assiniboia [Manitoba] and member of HBC. The other guys were NorWesters, as were Peter Grant of Isle of Skye's sons Peter Jr. and Donald/ Duncan Grant, and their half brother John Grant of Lachine was biggest Shipper of Trading Goods, on St Lawrence and Ottawa Rivers. 
Much history here, but you have to know your Grant. Cheers      .

Offline young1451

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 21 June 21 11:00 BST (UK) »
Simon Fraser Jr. the Canadian Explorer's mother was Issabella Duldraeggan Grant, a sister of my John Duldraeggan Grant 1737 1802, making Simon Jr and Honourable Alexander Grant of L'Orignal, 1st cousins, and they married McDonell sisters [daughters of Allen McDonell of Matilda Twp.].
I think I already mentioned that the Grant and McDonell, intermarried  a lot.   

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Monday 21 June 21 12:05 BST (UK) »
Try Patrick Grant, Peter interchangeable!

Bests,
Skoosh.

Offline young1451

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 07 September 21 15:56 BST (UK) »
Hi DonM. I think the guy you mentioned previously, is better known to me as Commodore Alexander Grant b. abt. 1734. He would be a 1st cousin of my Hannah Grant 1717 1802, wife of Aeneas/ Angus Grant of Duldraeggan 1702 1779. He would have been close in age to Hannah's kids and probably lived near them. As mentioned, Peter Grant of Isle of Skye had fathered several illegitimate kids before marrying Janet Duldraeggan Grant 1736 1766, and John Grant of Lachine d. 1817 was one of them and probably raised at Duldraeggan with Janet's kids who were his half siblings.This Commodore Alexander Grant was a very prominent Shipper on the St Lawrence and Great Lakes, and probably gave John Grant of Lachine [who he definitely regarded as family] his start in Shipping [after the Commodore got more involved in politics], John became the most prominent Shipper, and his half brothers Peter and Donald Grant of Lachine were prominent NorWesters. J.