Author Topic: Ox Close, in the Parish of Bakewell. Help please!  (Read 10007 times)

Offline copperbeech5

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ox Close, in the Parish of Bakewell. Help please!
« on: Wednesday 05 November 08 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to locate where Ox Close was during  the 1650 -1750S.  I know it was Derbyshire, and I believe it was around Baslow, Hassop area. 

Any help trying to locate this place would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Copperbeech5
Hutchinson - Nottingham.
Rowland - Nottingham.
Parkin - Co Durham/Nottingham.
Gardiner/Gardner/Gardener - Co Durham.
Drake - Derbyshire/Lincolnshire/Sussex/London?
Leighton - Derbyshire.

Offline sougher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ox Close, Baslow area? Help please!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 November 08 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Copperbeech 5,

I know of the existance of three Ox Close's.   One was a farm somewhere in the NW of Derbyshire I would have to dig much deeper to remember where this was, but I think it was on the Nottingham/Newhaven Turnpike (constructed in the mid 1700's - from memory) somewhere around the Alfreton area.   The second one is an Oxclose wood near to Haddon Hall south of Bakewell.  If you take the A6 north to Rowsley follow the road which bends sharply for Bakewell, carry on to the dual carriage way (Picory Corner) just before the Haddon Hall car park.  On the left at Picory Corner is the road to Stanton, Alport and Youlgreave, carry on along this road and on the right before you reach a bridge (on the left) called Hawleys Bridge which goes up to Stanton and Winster, there is a wood fringing the road, this is Oxclose wood, it's before you reach the quarry entrance.   There is also a lead mine to the N W of Matlock called the Oxclose lead mine which dates back to about the mid 1500's which I know was worked extensively in the 1600's.   I think the one that fits the area where you require could be the one near Picory Corner (I don't think I have the correct spelling for this).   In what connection do you want Oxclose for?

Kind regards,
Margaret

Offline copperbeech5

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ox Close, Baslow area? Help please!
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 November 08 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Dear Margaret,

Firstly thank you so much for your reply, and help in this matter.

I am posing this question on a friends behalf, so please bear with me!

My friend had 4or5 Wills where Ox Close is mentioned, with a property called "Lower House, Ox Close, in the parish of Bakewell."  The Wills are spread over  the period of 1600 -1700.  The Family concerned was from Baslow, and were the Marsden family.  I believe that they were farmers, and they had 2 butchers shops in Baslow.

Lower House (there was also an Upper House in existence) Ox Close was handed down over several generations in the families Wills.

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards,
Copperbeech5
Hutchinson - Nottingham.
Rowland - Nottingham.
Leighton - Derbyshire.

Offline sougher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ox Close, in the Parish of Bakewell. Help please!
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 November 08 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Copperbeech5,

I unearthed my old OS map for Bakewell, Sheet SK 26 1:25 000 First Series and found that the location of the Oxclose Wood (beneath which flows a sough called Black sough or Oxclose sough - a sough [pronouned "suff"] was a drainage level driven from the nearest river i.e. the River Lathkill to dewater local lead mines) although it's name is not shewn on the map it is within the township of Upper and Nether Haddon, which lies within the parish of Bakewell.   Baslow is not far away and was in Bakewell parish.  If you look at the website for British History Online www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50721 you will find a lot of information about Bakewell, it's early history and what villages and townships made up it's parish.

I found that there is a Bakewell and District Historical Society which has been producing a regular Journal for years now, a complete set of which are at Bakewell Library and can be referred to.   I couldn't find an address for you to contact them, but I found out that the Old House Museum, Cunningham Place, Bakewell had been restored by them and given to them by the previous owners.  The museum is now closed, only being open from March to October annually.   However, there is an email address for you to possibly contact them.  info@oldhousemuseum.org.uk for further information.   Perhaps one of the members may know more about Oxclose in the township of Nether Haddon if you were to send an enquiry, or if that isn't it perhaps they could advise on an alternative location.

Finally can I suggest if you are within travelling distance of Derbyshire Record Office at Matlock to book an appointment and request to view (if they are available), Bakewell Hearth Tax Assessments (this tax was imposed from 1662-1689);  Bakewell Enclosure Awards and map (1700's) and finally Bakewell Tithe Map and Schedule (Tithe map surveys are from the late 1830's to the 1850's).   These are a good source of information of family names, field names and who owned what etc. etc.   Forgive me sending you this information if you are already aquainted with it, but in the past these documents have helped me.

I am interested in Bakewell because many of my ancestors (KEELING/FOGG/HOWARD) came from this area, and also because I am very interested in the Peak District's lead mining history.

I hope that you are successful in finding out the information you are seeking.   If I can be of further help please let me know.

Kind regards,

Margaret (no longer living in Derbyshire, exiled in Hampshire!)

Offline copperbeech5

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 November 08 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Dear Margaret,

Thank you very much once again.  I am not around much tonight, but will confir with my friend, and get back to you!

Thank you for your help,
Copperbeech5
Hutchinson - Nottingham.
Rowland - Nottingham.
Leighton - Derbyshire.

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 November 08 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
There is a transcript of the Baslow Tithe Award 1841:-
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Baslow/BubnellTithe48.html

Ox Close/meadow x3 mentined.  Ox Close is a very common name for a piece of Land, and as you will
see both of these in 1841 were owned by the Duke of Rutland.

You may get a result by searching:-
http://www.a2a.org.uk/
Restrict your search to Derbyshire, enter the names in the wills i.e. "Thomas Marsden".

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline copperbeech5

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 November 08 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Spendlove,

Thank you so much for you help, and the links you enclose, I have printed them off and will pass them on to my friend!

All help always much appreciated.

Kind wishes,
Copperbeech5
Hutchinson - Nottingham.
Rowland - Nottingham.
Leighton - Derbyshire.

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 November 08 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I´ve always thought of it being just north of Chatsworth but I would love if it were pinned down properly.
Here is a bit of a rental agreement - very badly transcribed my me :-)  Since it specifically refers to Byflatt as west of the river I've guessing that Ox Close was east of the Derwent. I suppose Chatsworth Archives would be the place to know.

And in the yeare of our Lord God 1695 Betweene the Most Noble William Duke of Devonshire of the one part. And Robert Marsden and Edmund Marsdenof Chatsworth in the County of Derby Husbandmen of the other part Witnesseth that the said William Duke of Devonshire as well for and in consideration of the Summe of forty two pounds of lawful English money to him in hand payd at or before the sealing and delivery of these presents by way of a ffine or Income as allso for and in consideracon of the Rent and Covenant hereafter in these present mentioned expressed and reserved hath demised set and to farme letten and by these presents doth demise set and to farme let unto the said Robert Marsden and Edmund Marsden their Exectors and Administrators all that the Tenement or ffarme parcell of the Demeane of the Mannor of Chatsworth in the County of Derby and now in their own possession with the Housing there unto belonging and allso the severall parcells of Arrable Meadow and Pasture grounds there with all now used and enjoyed and hereafter named That is to say the great Ox pasture now divided into thirteene parts the Hough and streames alias Byflatt now in former parcells And also one other parcell of land called Bestly together with a parcell of land lying west of the River Darwen and commonly called the Byflatt 
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 November 08 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Had a  second thought - in the Marsden memoirs book it says that The Higher House of Oxclose was a farm behind where the kitchen gardens of Chatsworth are (or were I suppose, in 1914) The house was pulled down and rebuilt and the land added on to the park land. So there you have it .
Hope that helps.
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk