Author Topic: Kosky's to England from Poland spelt Blachskosky???  (Read 11653 times)

Offline ash213

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kosky's to England from Poland spelt Blachskosky???
« Reply #18 on: Monday 10 November 08 13:38 GMT (UK) »
ok, ive ordered the marrage certificate, hopefully it will help!

Offline ash213

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 10 November 08 13:50 GMT (UK) »
my father says Joseph Kosky comes from a place called Photz in Russia.

anyone know anythuing about this place ?

thanks

Offline KerryEL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 10 November 08 15:17 GMT (UK) »
The Joseph Kosky previously mentioned birth whitechapel 1897 is my gt gt grandfather. The birth cert says he was born at 134 Brick Lane and His parents were Barnett Kosky and Yetta Kliman he also had a brother born in 1905 named Jack.  I do not think the mentioned marriage is connected to my gt gt grandads birth, my gt gt grandad was sent to a workhouse in 1909 and later became known as Sydney kosky and married Rosa Wollard 20/12/1930, going onto have 2 children Margaret and Richard - margaret is my nan.  But as read you have said your Joseph kosky came from Russia, just don't want you to go searching if it may not be your relative.  My gt gt grandad died noted as sydney koski (yes, spelling change!!) in 1959 and is sadly still missed by my nan xx

Offline ash213

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 10 November 08 15:35 GMT (UK) »
The Joseph Kosky previously mentioned birth whitechapel 1897 is my gt gt grandfather. The birth cert says he was born at 134 Brick Lane and His parents were Barnett Kosky and Yetta Kliman he also had a brother born in 1905 named Jack.  I do not think the mentioned marriage is connected to my gt gt grandads birth, my gt gt grandad was sent to a workhouse in 1909 and later became known as Sydney kosky and married Rosa Wollard 20/12/1930, going onto have 2 children Margaret and Richard - margaret is my nan.  But as read you have said your Joseph kosky came from Russia, just don't want you to go searching if it may not be your relative.  My gt gt grandad died noted as sydney koski (yes, spelling change!!) in 1959 and is sadly still missed by my nan xx

This is getting interesting and complicated.  Well Joseph and Annie Kosky married and had two children - Cyril and Arthur.  Arthur took up the Kaye name later in life- I dont know why, maybe due to Joseph and Annie divorcing ? Can we find a divorce record for the couple ? If they did then Joseph may have re-married ?
I think it's Joseph's parents that are from Russia.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 10 November 08 15:41 GMT (UK) »
It looks likely that your respective Josephs are different people. Bear in mind that there were no fewer than three marriages of men called Joseph Kosky in East London in 1917 alone (per FreeBMD).

Ash213, in your first post which started this thread you said that your great-grandparents came from Russia or Poland.  If that is the case one would not expect to see (your) Joseph or Annie's births in England.

The change of name from Kosky to Kaye may well have been an attempt to Anglicise the name.  I wouldn't assume that a divorce was involved.

Anna :)
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 10 November 08 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Can't help noticing this from the National Archives:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATLN=6&CATID=5110345&j=1

A relative perhaps? Note the spelling of the original Russian name: Blaschkofsky

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline KerryEL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 10 November 08 15:46 GMT (UK) »
My Joseph's parents are Barnett Kosky and Yetta Kliman, they came to england from Poland in 1895, Barnett's father was also Barnett (!) and they were from the slask area of poland, but JOseph's father barnett has bankruptcy records 1910 - 1914 which he is listed as an Austrian Jew, which threw us into a confused state, but as explained by Berlin Bob,  Poland was divided back then so he can still be polish but actually be an austrian jew, so did russia come into that equation??   i can see that there is time within the dates for Joseph and Annie to divorce and for him to re marry, I agree there, Joseph and Rosa's marriage cert says that in 1930 Jospeh's father Barnett was decesed, but... me and my mum have had many discussions over this... and as said Joseph and his brother were put into a work house around 1909, so did they actualy know their parents after that?, was his father just presumed to be dead?  Sorry i'm waffling on and my relatives might not have any significance to you at all!!  When you get the marriage for Joseph and Annie, please let me know what it says, my gt gt grandad may have a secret!! x

Offline KerryEL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 10 November 08 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I meant that Joseph is my gt grandfather... me and my mum have done so much family searching recently i got confused!! x

Offline ash213

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 10 November 08 15:56 GMT (UK) »
I will read all this later and try and work out a few things.

One thing for certain im sure that marriage i talked about earlier IS from my family although the Joseph Kosky may not be the one im looking for, which could make sense as I said my Joseph Kosky may be from Poland therefore wouldnt be on that record right ?

Anyone know the place, PHOTZ. I cant find anything at all.

Thanks.