Author Topic: Ancestor search  (Read 7303 times)

Offline Franky01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestor search
« on: Thursday 06 November 08 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I'm looking for information's about "John, Edward HUNTER - born about 1793 in YORKSHIRE (UK) and his ancestors. According to my information's, he was a sailor and married on February 10th, 1817 a Suzannah FLANAGAN-CHAPMAN in Sydney (Australia). Three of their children came to the French Polynesia and that's where my family comes from. I have the whole family tree (about 1400 entries) concernant his descendent's in Tahiti

If anyone can help me - - - -   

Thank you

Franz LAHERSTORFER

Offline liverpool lass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestor search
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 November 08 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Franky, Can't help you but just a word of advice... ypu need to remove your personal e mail details from your post. People will reply on this thread or by sending you a PM (Personal Message) through the site. Good luck
Lewis/Morgan - Carmarthenshire
Jones - Denbighshire
McCormack/McLoughlin - Liverpool
McKenzie - Liverpool/Lanarkshire/ Aus/USA/NZ
Ballantyne - Glasgow, Liverpool
Evans - Merionethshire
Turnell - Northamptonshire
Jones - Glamorgan
Wood - Nova Scotia, Mass, USA
Booth - Aus
Francis - Carmarthen
Griffiths - Glamorgan and Llanelli
Morgan - Llanelly, Pontardulais
Williams - Llanelly
Bryant ,Chesbro - Massachusetts, USA
Petrie - Connecticut, USA
Winters, Tetley,Oulds - Australia

Offline Franky01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 November 08 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liverpool Lass

Thank you for your advise. Too bad you can't help me

Kind Regards

Franky

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 November 08 01:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Franky  :)

What sort of information are you wanting?  Do you have info about the couple in Australia, for example their arrivals in the country?  Or was it just UK information that you wanted?

If you need Australian information, I suggest posting a message on the "Emigrants to Australia" board here on Rootschat where you will get plenty of help  :)

Meantime, just tell us what you already know, and what you are hoping to find.  :D

Cheers
Prue
(P.S.  Feeling very envious of your island location on this very grey day in Canberra!  ;)  )

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile

Offline Franky01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 November 08 05:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Prue,

Thank you for your interest in my family search.

The information's about John Edward HUNTER I got from three different on-line genealogy trees on "Geneanet.com". I have in my family tree about 1400 descendents of this John Edward HUNTER down to our generation, but so far I've been unable to find anything about the ancestors of this John Edward HUNTER. As he married Suzannah FLANAGAN or CHAPMAN in SYDNEY on February 10th, 1817, I'm hoping that somebody of the FLANAGAN or CHAPMAN family might have some information's about the ancestors of John Edward HUNTER.

I also have a kind of biography of John Edward HUNTER made by one of his descendents. I'll join the first part of it here as this may help to find some contacts. Here it is:

NOTE:Source: Judith Williams
John Edward Hunter

John Edward (or Edward John) Hunter was born about 1793 in Yorkshire, UK. A mariner, his thirst for adventure drew him to the new colony of Port Jackson, where he met and married nineteen-year old Susannah Flanagan Chapman in 1817. Susannah was the elder of two daughters born to Ann Marsh and her legal husband, Robert Flanagan.

Eleven of their twelve children survived their childhood years, despite voyages between Tahiti and Port Jackson, a perilous undertaking in small ships. Quite some of them married French spouses, giving an interesting new branch in their already most interesting family trees, and Thomas junior married a Tahitian woman, this branch being of even greater interest.

A search of the Archives of State (NSW) Records shows John Hunter to have been on the following vessels, either as a first class seaman, first mate, and later, master. Two microfiches, (5288 and 5289, and also micro-reels 561 and 562), showed his seagoing voyages to be on small brigs, varying from 57 tons to 108 tons with the largest one 142 tons, not very big vessels to be voyaging out on to the not always peaceful Pacific, and the sometimes turbulent Tasman Sea en route to New Zealand.

In April 1816, he sailed on the Brig Active, Master Joseph Thompson, to New Zealand and back. Several trips were made on this small 108 ton ship, with the same Master, who must have been well satisfied with this young man's seamanship. In October 1817, John sailed to Bass Straits on the Brig Endeavour, (only 57 tons!), Master Thomas Hammond, in search of oil fish, whatever they may have been! May 1818, John Hunter, First Mate, was back on the Active, sailing to both New Zealand and Otaheiti, (Tahiti). March 1819 showed him still on board the Active, the Master still Joseph Thompson, on a voyage to New Zealand. Seven months later, in August 1819, the Active made a second trip to the Land of the Long White Cloud, and noted on the ship's manifest was that John Hunter, Chief Mate, was 26 years old.

In 1820, John was Second Officer on the Governor Macquarie, a Brig of 142 tons, Master, Samuel Herring, on a voyage to Tahiti. The following year, 1821, the Governor Macquarie is shown making a another voyage to Tahiti, with a crew of 16, the Master this time being John Hunter, now about 28 years old. Again, in 1823, John was again the Master of the Governor Macquarie, on a voyage to the Society Islands.

A later entry, December 19, 1832, showed Captain and Mrs Hunter, with seven children, on board the Ulitea en route to Tahiti, and two years later, another entry had Captain Hunter Master of the Blackbird, sailing first to New Zealand, and then to Tahiti., with the notation that also on board were Mrs Hunter and family - how many children, one wonders! The Sydney Morning Herald mentioned Captain Hunter in connection with various sailings, three in 1833 and two more in 1835. The Sydney Gazette had outgoing voyages in 1837, 1838 and 1839, Captain Hunter being the master of the ship Genii, and owner of the Ulitea. A very helpful book - The Tahitiens - alas, in French! - also has John the owner of the brig Diana, 204 tons. John was an owner of a considerable amount of property

Source: Judith Williams
John Edward Hunter

If you want to look up the family tree on Geneanet and see the whole story, go to this address:

http://gw0.geneanet.org/index.php3?b=diedrebird&lang=fr;pz=brennan+matthew;nz=stone;ocz=0;p=john;n=hunter;oc=1

That's all the information's I have. Hopefully you can help me.

Anyways, it was nic to hear from you, Prue, and if you want informations about Tahiti, I'll be pleased to answer to all your questions.

Kind Regards

Franky

(Franz Laherstorfer)

PS. HUNTER is my wife's name.

Offline l2mey

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 July 10 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am trying to trace my g grandfather's history, William I Johnston, he married Louisa Hunter in Papeete Tahiti, Dec 7 1861. I have a copy of "Descendants of John Edward Hunter" I would like to find the web-site that it came from to research the information and sources. Can you help me?

Offline TiareF

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 August 22 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Franky and the other,

My name is Sabine Foucart and I was adopted by French family. But father side ( Armand Taarea), we come from Yorkshire by John Edward Hunter (1795-1852) and he was married with Suzannah Flanagan. My father history begin with Thomas Tamati Hunter and Maitiaro Mamie Raita Urua Piti. They had a daughter Raita Tera Metua Hunter and she was married with Tautoa Tehahe Marari. So I am a descendant of Hunter family. If you need a help, I use Geneat and if you want more I have a family tree.

See you, Sabine F