Author Topic: Preston Road Workhouse Tynemouth,Completed  (Read 3115 times)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Preston Road Workhouse Tynemouth,Completed
« on: Thursday 06 November 08 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello,does anyone know if a person dies in the workhouse would they be buried in the nearest cemetry,as posted in my Riddle lookup, my greatgrandmother Ann/Annie Riddle died in the Preston Road workhouse on the 30th Dec 1933, I know there is a large cemetry in Preston Road, I was in the North East yesterday,sadly I got the news today,I cant travel back just yet,but Iwould like to pay my respects,sadly Gillian :(
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline nort

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Preston Road Workhouse Tynemouth,
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 November 08 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Try this they may be able to help you if you give them the details.http://www.northtyneside.gov.uk/browse.shtml?p_subjectCategory=403

Steve
Northumberland-Brown,Mitchell,Pattison,Clough,Gleghorn,Roseby,Sanderson,Southern,Elliott,Gray,Green,Dobson,Bell
Durham/Northumberland-Mellanby
Cornwall-Chenhall,Bodinner
Fife-Mitchell,Gourlay,Dryburgh

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 November 08 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Steve,I will get in touch with them and ask if they will look in the buriels book,here in Furness these are very accesable you just go and ask at the office and they let you look.I dont know if this will continue, as I have seen the ones for 1870 and they hold vital info, but are deteriating due to age,Gillian
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Justina

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 November 08 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gillian.  I live just 15 minutes away from the Preston Road.  I will see if there is a burial listed for your Great Grandmother. 
Let me know if you need any other info from the local library as I study there often.

Justina.
Davidson Gray Scott Treeby Tandy

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 November 08 04:40 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Justina,her address was 7 Middle Street North Shields,her father was Charles,she also lived at Front Street and North Street,,yes I would like some info if you can,is North st the same as North Terrace,I have found two soldiers William Riddle killed in action 5th June 1917,and Charles William killed 1st July 1916,cheers Gillian

Offline OurAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Preston Road Workhouse Tynemouth,Completed
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 November 21 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Radcliffe, Did you find your Ancestor ?
I was looking for info on Tynemouth Workhouse and saw your post, the name Ann Riddle jumped out at me because I have her name as a person buried in Preston Cemetery with one of mine, I have recorded the location and info on the graves   using GPS and uploaded it  on another site.  I am not sure if I am allowed to name other sites?
The North Tyneside Council provided the following information
"CON-F-9766

Edith Rebecca Johnson
Burial took place on 30th March 1903
Aged 56 years
Edith Johnson
Burial took place on 27th March 1907
Aged 57 years
 Ann Riddle
Burial took place on 2nd January 1933
Aged 36 years

Grave space CON-F-9766 has not been purchased and no memorial has been erected."
This means that our ancestors did not have money to pay for a grave space or to put up a headstone. They did not have any say in where they were buried and whose body their grave space was shared with. Our ancestors are  buried together, 3 ladies who may have had no connection with each other but its possible they were neighbours or distantly related.
North Tyneside Council will likely send you a map of the cemetery if you are still looking. I have at least 6 in there and 4 are in unmarked graves, the council know who is buried where and will put flags in for you so you can find them. You are not looking for a headstone, many graves in this cemetery are unmarked and just grassy mounds.

Johnson, Coleman, Graham, Dixon, Thewlis

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 November 21 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you .yes I visit the grave from time to time when I am in the North East

Offline OurAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 November 21 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for letting me know. I am glad you were able to visit Ann's grave.
Johnson, Coleman, Graham, Dixon, Thewlis