Author Topic: LLANIDLOES, Montgomeryshire  (Read 3341 times)

Offline kishtu

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LLANIDLOES, Montgomeryshire
« on: Friday 07 November 08 07:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi guys

With lots of hunting I finally end up here.  I'm searching for information on John Morris, born 1824 in LLANIDLOES, Montgomeryshire.  The only information I have on him is that he was discharged from the army after being convicted for rape in 1848, in Winchester.  He was then sent to Western Australia in 1850.  I found his discharge records and have ordered them.  Now my final search is to find family, birth records etc.  I keep drawing a blank at census records as they only seem to start at 1841.  His marraige certificate says his father was John Morris. 

I've done all the relevent searches for convict records, army records and so on.

If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.

Kish
Terrell, Mitchell, Morris and Wagstaff

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: LLANIDLOES, Montgomeryshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 November 08 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I've checked my Montgomeryshire baptism records and can only find one John Morris that fits some of your description but the baptism was in Tregynon (to the north of Newtown) rather than Llanidloes. It might be that his parents were not of the established church and his baptism would therefore not be recorded in the parish records.

I'll give the details just in case:

2 May 1824, Tregynon John Morris s/o John Morris and Elizabeth. Father's occupation was labourer and they lived at Kil haul, Tregynon.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline kishtu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 November 08 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gadget

This could be him.  He did call 2 of his children Elizabethand a son John. 

I can now look for census records with father and mother name.  He probably called his children after his sibling too, so that might help me too.

Kish

Offline kishtu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 December 08 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget

I have just recieved John Morris's army records from Wales.  His place of birth is Llanidloes or county near by.  It said he enlisted into the army at the age of 17 yrs and 10 mths on 24th September 1844 so he would have been born around November 1826.  He was discharged in 1850 for riotous conduct in his lodgings(maybe he had girls in is room hehehehehe) and bought in by file of the guards sober.  There is no mention of the "rape" in 1848 in his records. 

It also said on the records that he was a sailor as his occupation.  On his convict records he is listed as a soldier and sawyer???

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 December 08 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi again  :)

So the 1824 one isn't likely to be him then  :-\ 

I think his baptism must have either not been entered or his family were non-conformists  :(

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline kishtu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 December 08 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget

Sorry for my ignorance but what does non-coformist mean?

John was a very naughty man while in the army, he was found drunk on 1 occassion lol and refusing to give his name.

Thanks for your help

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 December 08 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I missed a vital n!

Non-conformist means that they did not belong to the established Anglican Church. It's these records that are the main source of information on baptisms, marriages and burials before official registration began in 1837.

Records do exist for other religious groups but are very patchy or missing.

Gadget

Offline kishtu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 January 09 01:19 GMT (UK) »
hi Gadget,

After going through the records I received fro the Nation Archives, I have come to the conclusion that thiese records are possibly not the ones I am looking for.

The birth dates are wrong and his convict records say he was trialed in 1848.  the dicharge papers say 1850.  He was on a ship to Australia when he was supposed to have signed the discharge papers.

So I guess its back to square one on this one. 

I am unable to find anything on his convictions of rape on the Nation Archives sit either. 

Kish

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 January 09 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kish

It might be best to work on the Australian end. Do you have any death/marriage information that might give his parents' names?

We could then look again at the Montgomeryshire records, if relevant.

Gadget