Author Topic: Mere church window MIDLANE family  (Read 11887 times)

Offline SMF

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mere church window MIDLANE family
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 01 March 09 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Yes, you are right Lydia Ffinch nee Dyer, my great grandmother and wife of Revd. Matthew Mortimer Ffinch. Although I am not descended from this son, Lydia had a child Arthur John Midlane and we had wondered why the name Midlane was given to him. Indeed we are cousins!

Offline lee77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 January 10 08:02 GMT (UK) »
 Hi Judith,
I have searching this site and found the beautiful window donated by the Midlanes.

Frances Agnes Midlane  married to John Henry Coombe are my gggg/grandparents,Coombe family is the one that I decend from.

I see you live in Canberra,I live in Mildura. John and Frances's son Herbert Russell Coombe died in Wentworth NSW 30 klm away.

Regards Suzanne Burgess

Offline SMF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 January 10 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Good to hear of another cousin. I will be searching the family tree to see where you fit in. I am descended from Lydia (nee Dyer) and Matthew Ffinch and have Midlane ancestors.
Greetings from the UK, Susan

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 January 10 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Well, how nice to 'meet' you Suzanne, and to say hello again to SMF.  I haven't looked at this Board of Rootschat for a few weeks so sorry I didn't reply earlier.  I didn't know that Frances and John's son had come to Australia.

We were in UK last Setember so I was able to visit Mere church to see where our ancestors were married/baptised/buried.  I also saw the house in Mere where JJD was born and the glorious chapel where he was baptised in Greenwich.

I saw the mill in Bedhampton and the mill at Langstone (near Portsmouth) which were worked by Midlanes before John and Jane moved to West Camel (and that move has still got me intrigued - why?); the churches at Bedhampton and Warblington where some of our/their forebears lie, as well as being VERY disappointed to find that the actual church of St Mary's at Portsea where John and Jane, Jane's parents and grandparents were married has been replaced by a more modern one.

So good to hear from you.

PLease be in touch again!

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lee77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
midlane & coombe
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 January 10 08:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi judith,
I am very much a learner here so not sure what I am doing at times.
I have been looking at Julcoe's info on the Midlanes and have been adding to my tree.

I have been trying to following  Thomas Coombe and Milligan side as I don't want to get to carried away with to many names. Have you Thomas Coombe in your tree?  John and Jane are his great grandparents.

I will copy what I can and store it and then get back to it at a later date. I am very greatful for all your help.

suzanne

Offline CW4

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 24 September 10 04:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Judith, Googled my 3rd great grandfather, John Midlane (1775) and came across your posts.  I come down from John Midlane via sone John (b. abt 1810) married to Maria Jupe(?).  Their daughter, Annie Midlane (1839)  was my great grandmother.  SHe married Isaiah Charles Child.  Any info you could provide on John and Jane and / or John and Maria would really be appreciated.

Don
Fresno, Calif, formerly from Brisbane, QLD

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 September 10 08:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Don - how nice to meet you, cousin!

I have a lot of info which I am happy to pass on to you.  I will try and PM you but it sometimes doesn't work until you have 3 posts.

I haven't found much about your 3g grandfather however have Jane's parents' names -  father George Anson THOMPSON and mother Ann VIVIAN.  Jane's family appeared to have had Naval connections - mainly as administrative staff rather than sailors. 

John's family were millers and corn merchants around Bedhampton, Havant, Warblington, Emsworth (near Portsmouth).  They were quite well-off, and were a Catholic family.  (No money came down to my lot LOL).  John and Jane's first two children were baptised in Bedhampton but the others, including John Sone MIDLANE were born at West Camel, Somerset.  I would love to know why they moved - seems a long way.

After they moved to Mere they becams staunch Anglicans, with a number of the children married in Mere church and John and Jane are buried there.  The churchyard is grassed over now with hardly any headstones so I wasn't able to locate the actual graves when I visited last year.  I have to say the stained glass window is quite impressive!

I see your grandmother Annie was married in Mere church.

Will try and PM you.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline Lynn E H

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 01 May 11 11:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Judith,

I am a cousin of Don from Fresno. He managed to "find" me through Isaiah Charles Child.  Annie and Isaiah are also my great grandparents. I am off to visit the area today as we live nearby - so Stourton, Mere, Gillingham and Bourton here we come.
Lynn - Cirencester, Gloucestershire UK

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 03 May 11 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Lyn

I believe your Annie's surname was MIDLAM not Midlane.  I have researched this quite thoroughly and I believe that she was born in Middlesex, parents John MIDLAM  and Ann CARD.

Very confusing as we have two John MIDLANEs - father and son - both their wives named Jane! But I think your Annie's family came from Gillingham

You may have to make a couple more posts before you can reply to me through R'chat.  I think you have to do 3 posts before the PM system will work.

Hope you enjoy/ed your trip.  Lucky you, living in Cirencester.  We are visiting UK for a month in June and are looking forward to re-visiting some nice places.

Judith