Author Topic: Mere church window MIDLANE family  (Read 11891 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Mere church window MIDLANE family
« on: Friday 07 November 08 12:12 GMT (UK) »
I believe there is a window in Mere parish church donated by the Midlane family.  If anyone is able to copy the inscription and/or describe the window I'd be very grateful.

The Midlanes were in Mere from around 1820ish to around 1880ish with Augusta MIDLANE buried 1822 (aged abt 14), her father John MIDLANE buried 1841, mother Jane MIDLANE buried 1853 and I think another daughter Mary Jane NEWMAN is there also (buried 1877).  Three of the daughters were married in the church also - Martha in 1824, Mary Jane 1826 and Theresa Caroline in 1835.

Many thanks!
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bagpuss_Janet

• RootsChat Member
  • Henry (Harry) Moon
    • View Profile
Re: Mere church window MIDLANE family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 09:13 GMT (UK) »
My parents live not too far from Mere.   I will see if I can get there, although it may not be for a few weeks as they're away at present.  :)
BALL - Kent (and a bit of Essex!)
BELL - Suffolk
BENDALL - Somerset
DARTNELL - Kent
DOWNING - Yorks
DRIVER - Kent
GROVE - Staffs
LIVERMORE - Kent (and a bit of Essex!)
LOVELL - Kent, Somerset
MINDHAM - Yorks
MOON - Berkshire, Cumbria, Kent, Lancs, Somerset, Staffs
MORELAND - Ireland, Liverpool, Essex
WALKER - Suffolk, Norfolk, Kent
WALTER - Kent

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Any time would be just fine.  I seem to remember seeing it written up in a guide book to the church but it was a long time ago that I saw it and the dteails are hazy.

If there is a guide book could you let me know and I can write to the church and see if they will sell me a copy.

Many thanks for your offer.

Judith, Canberra, Australia
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline Bagpuss_Janet

• RootsChat Member
  • Henry (Harry) Moon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 November 08 19:00 GMT (UK) »
I managed to go to Mere today!  :)

I found the plaque quite easily.  The brass inscription underneath reads thus...

To the memory of John Midlane * born in 1775 * died in 1841 * and of Jane his wife born in 1770 * and died in 1853 * (for many years resident in this parish) * //
Also to the memory of their children * George born in 1802 * died in 1883 * Martha born in 1803 * died in 1885 (wife of John Poore Commander RN) //
John Sone born in 1805 * died in 1869 * Mary Jane born in 1806 * died in 1877 (wife of Mathias newman Surgeon of this parish) Augusta born in 1808 //
died in 1822 * Theresa Caroline born in 1809 * died in 1852 (wife of John Jones Dyer of the Admiralty) * Frances Agnes born in 1811 * died 1860 (wife of //
Henry Coombe (clerk in holy orders) *** This memorial is placed AD 1888 by Maurice Wemyss their youngest son born 1814

Where I have typed // denotes a new line - but the typing is too long for this box.   :)

Then underneath, a smaller plaque reading...

In memory of the above named
"Maurice Wemyss Midlane"
Who died January 10th 1891

You can find mention of him here - http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=16698

The people in the window are (from left to right) King David, Saint Mary BV and Saint John EV

I have taken some snaps of the plaque broken down so you can read the writing, and some more of the window and some of the church. You can view my album here...

http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f235/JanetSerenaPics1/mere/

Feel free to keep and use any images as you wish.  :)
BELL - Suffolk
BENDALL - Somerset
DARTNELL - Kent
DOWNING - Yorks
DRIVER - Kent
GROVE - Staffs
LOVELL - Kent, Somerset
MINDHAM - Yorks
WALTER - Kent

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 November 08 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Oh, Janet,

THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

You have gone to so much trouble and I so appreciate it - gave me a teary moment or two.

I have a lot of information about this family and these pictures are a real bonus.  John and Jane Midlane are my 3g grandparents and their grandson, (child of John Jones DYER and Theresa Caroline MIDLANE) came to Australia in the 1880s. 

I have only been seriously looking for ancestors in the last year or so.  We were in Uk in 2005 for 7 months and would have passed Mere a few times when visiting my husband's niece in Montacute.  John Jones DYER"s mother is buried in Chicklade so I missed that too - never mind, next time......

Once again - many thanks.
Judith, Canberra, Australia

Offline Bagpuss_Janet

• RootsChat Member
  • Henry (Harry) Moon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 November 08 08:23 GMT (UK) »
You are welcome.   I love doing the whole searching and photographing thing!  :D

Do you know if any of these Midlane's are buried in Mere?  I was going to go to have a trample round the cemetery before I came home, but sadly I ran out of time.
BELL - Suffolk
BENDALL - Somerset
DARTNELL - Kent
DOWNING - Yorks
DRIVER - Kent
GROVE - Staffs
LOVELL - Kent, Somerset
MINDHAM - Yorks
WALTER - Kent

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 November 08 10:50 GMT (UK) »
It never ceases to amaze me how kind people are - but I do agree with you - the chase is exciting

The Midlanes were in Mere from around 1820ish to around 1880ish with Augusta MIDLANE buried 1822 (aged abt 14), her father John MIDLANE buried 1841, mother Jane MIDLANE buried 1853 and I think another daughter Mary Jane NEWMAN is there also (buried 1877), as well as her husband.  Three of the daughters were married in the church also - Martha in 1824, Mary Jane 1826 and Theresa Caroline in 1835.

I would love to know where Theresa Caroline is buried.  She died in Greenwich so I suppose she is there somewhere.

The Midlanes were in Bedhampton Hants until after John Sone MIDLANE was born.  They were Catholics and lived at West Camel for the birth of at least the next 3 children who were baptised in the Catholic chapel at Shepton Mallet.  Interesting that they became staunch members of the Anglican church while in Mere.  Mary Jane and her husband Matthias Newman (surgeon) lived next to The Ship Inn in Mere (or maybe two doors away).

Thanks again, J

Offline SMF

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 February 09 16:45 GMT (UK) »
I am very excited to see the link between the Midlane and the Dyer Family as I am also a descendant of John Jones Dyer and often wondered why a great uncle of mine had the second name of Midlane.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 March 09 01:59 GMT (UK) »
Then you are a cousin of mine, SMF!  So exciting!

Where are you?  I would love to talk with you.  I assume you are descended from one of JJD's daughters as his son John Midlane DYER emigrated to Australia in 1871.  Is Lydia Ffinch your ancestor as she seems, from my sketchy research to be the only sister who married?

I have a lot of information about John DYER, (John Jones' father) from his first marriage in 1791 onward, some info about John's second wife (Eliza Seager, the mother of most of his children including JJD) back to about 1760ish and about the Midlane family back to the mid 1700s, and some info on John DYER's children.  I would be very happy to share with you.

JMD lived in Victoria, had seven children who reached adulthood and he is my great grandfather - his son Ralph was my mother's father.

I'll send you my email address by a private message.  I don't think you can send me a private message until you have done a few more public posts on Rootschat, but you are very welcome to email me. 

I find Rootschat a wonderful site - so many people who help out - such as the kind lady who took the photos on this post.  I also made contact with a person who was researching John DYER's family who helped me a tremendous amount.  And now another conatact with you.

Cheers, Judith (Canberra, Australia)