Author Topic: Cassells surname  (Read 6207 times)

Offline goof

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Cassells surname
« on: Friday 07 November 08 15:48 GMT (UK) »
My maternal great-grandmother Mary Ann Cassells was married in 1872 in St.Michael's Church, Limerick and I have a copy of the marriage certificate to David Seaman, an English soldier stationed at New Barracks, Limerick. Mary lived in Mallow Street at the time of her wedding. Her father was John Cassells. However the church archivist says there is no record of her birth/christening. Where do I now start in trying to find her birth? The England census of 1881 states she was born in Limerick in 1855.
Geoff.Charge
Charge, Gray, McCorry. Essex,Suffolk, Ireland (Armagh)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cassells surname
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 November 08 17:37 GMT (UK) »
It's quite possible that her baptism took place in another church either in that area or father away. As civil registration of births began 1864 there will be no birth certificate for her.
What is listed on the marriage certificate as her father's occupation?- if he had a military connection the family could have moved around quite a bit.

Will have this thread moved out of Irish Resources and to Limerick board.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline goof

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 November 08 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately her marriage certificate does not state her father's
occupation. I will try looking elsewhere for her baptism.
Geoff.Charge

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 November 08 22:39 GMT (UK) »
I had a look on www.irish-roots.net - and theres no Baptism records for a Mary Cassells in Co. Limerick around 1855, these are the results for the rest of the country (includes soundex matches):

Cassels    Mary    1853    Co. Leitrim   
Cassills    Mary    1853    Co. Cavan   
Castles    Mary    1854    Co. Meath   
Cassells    Mary    1855    Co. Armagh   
Cassells    Mary    1855    Co. Armagh   
Cassells    Mary    1856    Co. Westmeath   
Cassells    Mary Anne    1859    Co. Leitrim

(the site contains parish transcripts, the  index search is free, to view a records costs €5)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline goof

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 November 08 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane, I have looked at the 1855 birth in Armagh. It could be her, see my post on the Armagh board.
Geoff.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 November 08 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Chrissy Hamlin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 19:46 BST (UK) »
Hello to all

I am currently researching the Seaman Family in Essex on behalf of my partner Karl Seaman. I believe that he may be a direct descendant of Elisha Seaman who would have been his 3 x Great Grandfather. David Seaman and Mary Cassells from Limerick would therefore have been his 2 x great grandparents. 

My partner's great grandfather was William George Seaman, born 20 March 1890 in St Osyth, Tendring, Essex and I think he was possibly the son of Mary Cassells and David Seaman.

William George Seaman married Lydia Ruth Woodward in 1915 and their son Francis William Seaman (1918 - 1970) was my partners Grandfather. Francis William Seaman married Ivy Beecham in 1938 in Billericay, Essex and they had 2 children - William John Seaman ( 1938 - 1986) who was my partner's father, and Doreen Sylvia Seaman ( Married name LEE).

If anyone can corroborate this information for me as correct, I would be most grateful.

I would also be very interested in any information other members have on Elisha Seaman and his family, David Seaman and Mary Cassels and her family.

I would be happy to share my research on the Seaman Family with other descendants and to assist others. I have been an amateur genealogist for over 30 years and I currently live in Brentwood Essex, so I can supply local history information about the various places, villages and areas in Essex that the Seaman family lived in.

Chrissy Hamlin

Offline goof

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hullo Chrissy - I have much information on the Seaman family including Elisha. Mary Cassells was my great grandmother, her mother was Catherine McCorry born 1837 from Analoist in County Armagh.
I can confirm William being born in St.Osyth in 1890.
Not sure how to let you have it all the paperwork. I live in Burnham-on-Crouch, how is it best to contact each other outside of this website?
Regards from
Geoff.Charge

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 August 17 00:30 BST (UK) »
When Chrissy has made another post you should be able to Private Message each other and exchange email address'.