Author Topic: Adam PRITTIE - Nenagh Co TIP to Ontario  (Read 14270 times)

Offline nortybaby

• RootsChat Member
  • Dawn Spillane - 1927 - 2000
    • View Profile
Re: Adam PRITTIE - Nenagh Co TIP to Ontario
« Reply #18 on: Friday 28 November 08 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi karenb,

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply - it's been a big week. Anyhoo, I know they had my Mary, but they also had a son John, who I believe either went to Canada with them or maybe a little after. There was also a Bridget(found in Griffith's) who may be in the mix as well.

As far as I understand it John had a son who he named Adam Francis (possibly named after Francis Aldborough who may or may not have been Adam senior's brother or father).

I'm sorry, I don't know which order John and Mary were born. This bunch are just about doing my head in but I'm determined to figure them out! So, I really appreciate the tips and help you have given me. What I really need to do is get a look at Burke's Peerage (I have been told there is mention of Adam in there)- currently trying to get an inter-library loan but proving difficult as I live in the country.

Cheers,
Julie
NORTON/KNOCKTON/KNOCKTER - Ireland to Goulburn/Young/Cootamundra NSW Australia
KEATING - Waterford Ireland, Melbourne then Steels Creek & Yarra Glen Victoria / Sydney NSW Australia
RYAN - Silvermines, Nenagh, Co Tipp, IRL, Melbourne then Steels Creek & Yarra Glen Vic Australia
SPILLANE - Limerick, Ireland, Melbourne Australia
GAUNT - England, Melbourne Australia
EGAN - Ballingarry, IRL - Goulburn, Australia
CROKE - Ballingarry, IRL - Goulburn, Australia
PRITTIE - IRL & Canada

Offline karenb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 29 November 08 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie,

I have 2 editions of Burke's peerage and there is no Adam mentioned.  One is published 1836 and the other in the 1880s.

I have a book on the Tipperary gentry with a chapter on the Prittie family.  It notes the lack of sons in the family and that each generation had only one son and one had two.

The only 2nd son was Richard Prittie who was a younger brother of Henry Prittie. He married an heiress in Wexford and lived for some time in Dublin.  I have the name of his wife somewhere but haven't been able to track any children.  It would be fairly certain, however, that he would have also inherited land near Kilboy, Silvermines from his father (although he ended up living in Wexford).  He may have passed these lands on to a son.

I can't find much more about him but no "Henry's" had an Adam.

If you send pm me your email address I can send you  a copy of my Dunally listing from Burke's and can also scan the pages about the Pritties from my gentry book.  It might take a day or two though.

Karen
Perry - Tipperary, Wiltshire & Ontario
Gibbs - Buckinghamshire & Ontario
Cowan - Tipperary & Ontario
Bell - Glenavy, Ireland & Ontario
Drury - England & Ontario
Ritchie - Scotland & Ontario
Glover - Ireland, Edinburgh & Thorah/Brock Twp. Ontario

Offline nortybaby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 30 November 08 05:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi karen,

Have pm'd you - thank you very much for your offer. Much appreciated!!!

Cheers,
Julie
KEATING - Waterford Ireland, Melbourne then Steels Creek & Yarra Glen Victoria / Sydney NSW Australia
RYAN - Silvermines, Nenagh, Co Tipp, IRL, Melbourne then Steels Creek & Yarra Glen Vic Australia
PRITTIE - IRL & Canada

Offline tr1957nyc

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 17 July 09 02:27 BST (UK) »
My wife's family is all descended from George Thomas PRETTY, born Chicago, IL to  Thomas Alexander PRETTIE.  Their name is spelled PRETTIE on George's birth certificate, George changed it after his father died and he joined the US Merchant Marine. Thomas has a brother, Adam (born 3-17-1874 Ottawa, son of John and Margaret (Manning?) PRETTIE died 12-23-1932) both are named as steamfitters on the 1910 US Federal census for Chicago, Cook County, IL.  My wife's cousins and I strongly believe there is a family tie to Adam and Mary PRETTIE of Drummond. 

Adam was a soldier in the Napoleonic Wars, that is how he came to be part of the 1819 Richmond Settlement.  See http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~crossroads/barry/99th_regiment.html for some excellent military and Canadian colonial history.  Adam was a private, that is how he came to have 100 acres.  This link (http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~onlanark/Land_Property/landgrt6.htm) has a specific additional land grant of 58 acres for him bringing him to 158 acres total.

Adam Prettie, emigrant, Drummond, C7, whole of Lot 27?, 58 acres, and C5, whole of Lot 27, 100 acres, total 158 acres, located Oct. 14, 1819, settling duties performed.

I continue to hope to help my in-laws to find their roots in Canada and perhaps Ireland so I will be looking in on this thread from time to time to see what else I can contribute to this discussion and just maybe learn the connection of Adam and Thomas' parents John and Margaret to the right Ontario Prettie family!

Offline James Waddell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 14 March 14 13:49 GMT (UK) »
if I could figure out how to post I might be able to participate.

I am related to the CASWELLs and would like to asist with some of the possibilities for ADAM.

1. have the original census been reviewed
-my cursory review has the parents living with a son or grandson.

2. there is a Naval Captain involved rather then a regimental Capt. of Foot

3. Adams birthdat and certainly my Grand Aunts are not correct in 'OUR CASWELL Relattives by Shirley Mayse (of New Zealand when she put this amazing bit of deduction together

4 I believe I have some plausible results for JOHN CASWELL (Married a PALATINE; CORNEAL/Corneille Cornelius)

Sincerely

James Waddell
Sudbury Ontario

Online sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi James,

Welcome to RootsChat :)

I am sorry but tr1957nyc email address has stopped working and we have been unable to get a message to him with your reply, done a search but no postings since 2012. :'(

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 19 March 14 02:17 GMT (UK) »
Try this link.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0yiq/

Maybe they still go on there?

Janice

Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Online sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 19 March 14 09:08 GMT (UK) »
They were online yesterday :D, perhaps someone could let  tr1957nyc know that we are trying to contact him about his notifications not working?

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nortybaby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 20 March 14 05:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi James,

Thanks for your reply. I'd love to find out more about Adam. I got a wee bit cranky with him (as he is as slippery a fish as I've found so far) in my research, so haven't done a lot lately. I'll get out what I have and see what I've got. Maybe, between us, we might be able to get a bit further. Will get back to you soon as I can.

Cheers,
Julie

PS: Welcome to Rootschat - it's a marvellous site with a lot of wonderful folk always willing to help!!!   :D :D :D
PRITTIE - IRL & Canada