Author Topic: Broome Park Mansion, & Ravenleigh, Betchworth  (Read 10736 times)

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 4 generations of Prestidge, 1835-1985
    • View Profile
Broome Park Mansion, & Ravenleigh, Betchworth
« on: Saturday 08 November 08 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi.

I am trying to find out a bit of history on these two houses, would like to know if they are still standing, and if they are the original homes.

My great-grandfather appears to have lived in the Lodge of Broome Park Mansion, in 1901 census, when it was owned by  Gen. Feilding.  His wife worked as a dom serv at Ravenleigh, before they got married.

Any info would be much appreciated.
All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Offline erica lyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Broome Park Mansion, & Ravenleigh, Betchworth
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Daisy Loo,

Both still exist.  Broome Park is a nursing home.  There is information to be found on Broome Park by googling esp. if you also search for Sir Benjamin Brodie, he lived there before Fielding.  Nothing on Ravenleigh, but I drive past it every day so now I'm curious, I'll see if can find anything out.

There is a book about Broome Park: www.surreygardentrust.co.uk/publications/
VALLER - Hampshire/Surrey; MONK - Surrey

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for answering!  Is the nursing home the original building?  I did google Broome Park, and yes, found out about Sir Benjamin.  I was after pictures really!  As for Ravenleigh, my ancestor actually lived in that, as a servant, so would love to find out who owns it now, and loads of info!

I have realized how lucky I am, that this particular branch of my family, have worked in some fabulous houses, and I have found many of them to be still standing.  It's amazing.  Any additional info would be fantastic.  Thanks again!

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, that link didn't work, but I'll google it again.

Offline erica lyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 November 08 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I missed out an 's', its: www.surreygardenstrust.co.uk/publications/  :-[
VALLER - Hampshire/Surrey; MONK - Surrey

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 November 08 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I got it this time!  Looks like quite a good book.  Thanks for that.

Offline Ricker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 January 09 16:22 GMT (UK) »
I have a 7 page property auction sales brochure of Broome Park, Betchworth Surrey dated 23 March 1920. Broome Park was purchased at that time by John A Lloyd, a local businessman and distant relation.

The brochure describes the property as a fine old Georgian House, with 19 bed and dressing rooms, 4 bathrooms, 5 elegant reception rooms, billiard room and mens servants bedrooms.

The property of 56 acres included 2 lodges, stabling, garage, farmery and 3 cottages.

There is a beautiful surveyors map of the estate, as well as several photographs.
Hope this may be of interest.
Ricker

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 January 09 21:00 GMT (UK) »
oh my!  Is your name Santa by any chance????  I would live to see the rest!  How would I got about that?  Especially photos! My Great-great grandfather lived in one of the Lodges during the time that it was owned by Col. Fielding...this was in 1901 I think...I wonder if it was the Fieldings that were selling it by Auction in 1920.

Thank you so much...I got the first page of the Auction...thanks...

Can I be so cheeky and ask how you got hold of this?

Daisy...

Offline Ricker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 January 09 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Daisy Loo
The brochure is a family heirloom of some sentimental value, given to my mother who I understand stayed there as a guest of Hilda Lloyd the wife of John Lloyd, her great aunt. Their son Dick Lloyd was my god-father who trained as a doctor and emigrated to Canada. I lost touch with him some 40 years ago, but our family has wonderful memories of and sentimental connections with the Lloyd family. I am sure their heirs will be around somewhere and will probably have more records.

The photos in the brochure are mainly of the grounds, with an extensive description of the accommodation in the house.

There is no mention of Col Fielding in the brochure, but the name sort of rings a bell in my mind - I was very young at the time!

If you can find out how to contact me directly we can talk more about the brochure.
Regards
Ricker