Author Topic: BRADLEY/McGOWAN family Australia  (Read 22810 times)

Offline gmoore4380

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BRADLEY/McGOWAN family Australia
« Reply #45 on: Monday 24 July 17 07:11 BST (UK) »
Sorry it's just way back near the beginning of this post it said mums name and in brackets that she was deceased. I was also told that from a lady that turns out to be my cousin on mums side. I was only going by what I was told but i'm more than happy to take my posts down. My partner put the original comment up so when she gets home I will get her to take them off as well (I don't know how to sign in to hers). May I ask how I delete my comments on here please i'm new to this site

Hi there,

Your cousin on your mum's side and you share at least one grandparent.  You need to consider searching for that grandparent or their siblings.   

Back in the 1960s relinquishing mothers  in NSW were often harassed into giving up their babies.  Sometimes these mums were banished from their families.  Sometimes these mums' families came to assume that lack of contact meant they were no longer living and sometimes those aunts/uncles had children (your first cousins) who may have overheard and mis-understood adult conversations, afterall 'as though she is dead' is very different from 'we went to her funeral'.    The NSW Adoption laws from that era were restrictive and harsh.  Plus, the wages for any female were much lower than any male wage as this was before 'equal pay for equal work of equal value'.  Social security payments in that era did not help support single mums either, and this was before the introduction of the Federal Family Court.   

Today's NSW Adoption laws are very different and there's various organisations that are available to help find information for both relinquishing parents and for their offspring.   BUT those NSW laws still provide for the expectation of personal privacy to the relinquishing mum, her offspring, her offspring's father, and their respective extended family members, as well as the family who adopted you.

I cannot find anything in my offline NSW resources to support the notion that your relinquishing mum is no longer living, and from the information that is still displayed on this thread I am concerned that her expectation to privacy may be infringed as in NSW any living person's name is part of their identifying data, so it is subject to privacy and sensitivity considerations.  (Her name, her probable address as per say Ancestry's uploaded 1970s electoral rolls - these infringe her personal privacy, and your own info - that also infringes her personal privacy) 

If you are seeking medical history about your maternal line, then your maternal cousins should be able to help, but I would urge them to do so offline or by personal message.   If you are seeking contact with your biological living relatives, then you should be seeking assistance from the organisations dedicated to those efforts, as RChat is about helping with research about our deceased ancestors. 

From our HOW TO thread, :   http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=368728.0
RootsChat - Our Policy on Living Persons.

Here on RootsChat we are very concerned that the privacy and security of the living is protected. For this reason we do not allow searches for living persons. Although we fully understand you would like recent information to add to your tree, or that you may wish to make contact with birth families, relatives you lost contact with when they immigrated to Australia, missing family or friends, we are afraid we are unable to assist you.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience this causes you but we are sure you will appreciate the reasons for this.

Please See:- http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,142443.0.html

My wishes for you include every positive thought for you to find your birth family, and I urge you to contact your local organisations with the training and the experienced staff to work with you towards that goal.

JM

Ok thanks for your help i will take my posts down i have no way of finding my grandparents because i don't know any details at all. I only have my files from before i was adopted, my medical history, my adoption details. I will contact somewhere to see if i can get some help. When i was told mum was deceased i thought i would have been able to search this way but as i said i was only knew to this site so i didn't know i was doing anything wrong. Thanks to everyone that has tried to help me i really appreciate it

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 07:36 BST (UK) »
When you read back through the thread, you will notice at reply #8 from May 2010, there’s mention of Thomas McGOWAN and Elsie May Marjorie CHAPE.   

Have you obtained any NSW BDM documentation about them? 

The names of their children should be on their death registrations.   If this were my family I would be seeking a copy of these documents as they are not subject to restricted access (their deaths occurred more than 30 years ago). 

From NSW BDM online index for deaths, I can see
Elsie’s death was at Walgett NSW in 1958.  She was buried  in Walgett General Cemetery, and sadly there’s a baby’s burial in 1958 which when you check back with the NSW BDM online index suggests baby was stillborn.  Elsie’s registration is #5883, and baby is #5772. 
Also at Walgett Cemetery Anglican, but for 1950 is Colin Victor MCGOWAN, and from NSW  BDM online with #13565, his parents were Thomas Andrew and Elsie May Marjorie MCGOWAN.   

Thomas Andrew MCGOWAN’s 1964 death was registered Dubbo, #15709. 

From NSW Electoral Rolls
NSW electoral roll 1949 CASTLEREAGH, polling Walgett
Elsie May Marjorie MCGOWAN, Flemington Station, home duties
Thomas Andrew MCGOWAN, Flemington Station, boundary rider

Same info  NSW ER’s 1953 and 1958, GWYDIR, polling Walgett
Elsie May Marjorie MCGOWAN, Flemington Station, home duties
Thomas Andrew MCGOWAN, Flemington Station, boundary rider

NSW BDM online indexes 
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/family-history.aspx
OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTIONS are cheaper option, but if you are seeking legal certified copy, official transcriptions may not be suitable.
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/family-history.aspx#transcription

Australian Cemeteries Index
http://www.austcemindex.com/

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Emu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 08:17 BST (UK) »
Hi to those who have posted on this family who are related and not related. I have sent some of this info to the person who is looking for his Mum via personal message. Here's a bit more for those who want to know more on the family regards Thomas and Elsie McGowan (nee Chape) married Walgett NSW 4th Jan 1946.
Elsie died 26/02/58 during child birth. After Elsie's death during childbirth (child was still born) Thomas hired a nanny to care for his children and despite this, sadly the children were removed by the General Minister from Thomas McGowan on 11th March 1960. The children were separated and never saw their father again.
Elsie's parent's Celia Nina Anne Chape died  1937 and Robert John Chape died 1949.
for those who are tracing the family of the following....James McGowan(Ireland - convict from Longford) and spouse Ellen Crampton (from Edinburgh Scotland) and one of their children
James McGowan and his de facto Eliza Weatherall. Please contact me via personal message and I can fill you in on  some of the BDM as passed on to me(please note I do not have all BDM info) and other info on the above names, such as our convict James from Ireland. However I cannot pass on other info  of living persons who have traced this tree who have posted on this message board.
My connection to this family is on my father's side Christian Edward Egan
My grandmother Mona Egan (nee Bradley)
My gr. grandmother Agnes Bradley (Nee MCGOWAN)
thank you
Emu ;D

Bradley-Birmingham.ENG. Evans-Staffordshire ENG. Egan-Dublin IREL. McVeigh-Co.Armagh,IREL.Kuchler & Fehringer-Mannheim GERMANY.McGowan - Longford IRELAND. Evans - Welshpool WALES. Frenden-Stockholm, SWEDEN. Kimmorley, London ENG.

Offline Black Swan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emu my name is Betty Bradley, Winnifred was my grandmother.

Offline LBCF06

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 16 September 18 10:46 BST (UK) »
Is the Danny you mentioned here real name Daniel? I’m now VERY interested in this research[/quote]
Tanya, I am back again - just had a free moment. You may  already have  some of this info.....James McGowan was born 1854 in Singleton He was Labourer and boundary rider. He married Eliza Weatherall  in Bullamon QLD. He died 12 Sept 1922 in Mungindi NSW. Eliza died 11 Aug 1925 in Mungindi. The children were Herbert, George, Agnes (my Gr Gran) Ellen, James, Maggie, Danny, Eliza (married George Knox)  John, Tommy and Rhonda (married Robert Fing) The Tommy mentioned here was born 1901 according to what I have in my docs. from Goondiwindi.
    One of the Bradley's also married a Knox - well she had child to him, so i found out - not sure about the marriage as yet. I have found a fair bit on the Bradley side.  According to what I have here, it states parents of James were Father: James McGowan and Mother: Ellen Crampton. There's a few other McGowan's listed here as well of the above named McGowans's.  I don't know where James McGowan father also named James came from - that's what I am to find out. Do you named any rellies around in Roma of the McGowan side. I am in contact with  family from Roma (they are not McGowan's tho) and they may know more on this side
   I will be back tomorrow and read my docs again properly in case I missed something
       Cheers! Lesley                     P.S I am from Caloundra Sunshine Coast

Offline Aaron Hazelton

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 02:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tanya/Slave

My dad was Kevin McGowan Son of Thomas McGowan ! If you have any Information on the McGowan family can you please reply

Offline WilMorgan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 19 July 22 09:41 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if you have the reference number to the Police report with Eliza Rogers/Weatherall.

Cheers  :)

Offline beeanchor1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 22 July 22 14:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Emu,

are you able to email me at biancaharman00@gmail.com in relation to Eliza McGowan, mother of Thomas A McGowan, and grandmother of Rhonda, and my great-grandmother please? I cannot open your message from 2017.

Yours sincerely

Bianca