Author Topic: COMPLETED Lilley family - South Shields (possibly Hebburn)  (Read 5927 times)

Offline Hebburn Lee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lilley family - South Shields (possibly Hebburn)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 15:49 BST (UK) »
I used to go out with a girl whose cousin was Lilley, the snooker player (never met him, though I still live in Hebburn).

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 17:34 BST (UK) »
Erm, thanks for sharing that. 

Would still be happy to hear from anyone who might link to the family grouping I have described.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 02 September 11 19:54 BST (UK) »
With the free access week on Ancestry, I was messing around with various family surnames, and, lo and behold, up popped this very family group on a Form 30, Canadian Ocean Arrivals!

Seems Andrew, Margaret and the children, all recorded as Lillie, headed off in 1924 to Hamilton, Ontario, with intention of settling in Canada. Address going to was that of their 'cousin', a Mr Broadbent of 143 Lottridge Street (googling the address and surname brought reference of an Ernest Broadbent and Mary Wright of said address, as witnesses to a wedding, also in 1924  http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~maryc/went1924.htm).

No sign of what became of Andrew and family after 1924 though - so methinks I need to enlist help of the Canadian board.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 February 12 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Found them!    ;D

(ps have had to shatter someone's research in the process, though, as although they were following this family group, they had unfortunately followed totally the wrong lineage for Andrew - hopefully they take it well when they receive my email).

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED Lilley family - South Shields (possibly Hebburn)
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 29 April 17 07:46 BST (UK) »
As the children mentioned at the start of this thread have both now passed away, Winnifred in 2000 at Windsor, Ontario and Robert only last month, at Fort Gratiot, Michigan, I thought I would update with a link to a fitting obituary, with picture, for Robert Lilley, son of Andrew, who lived to the grand age of 93:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/thetimesherald/obituary.aspx?pid=184573068

Offline Marytm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 29 April 17 09:11 BST (UK) »
I have just read your post. am looking into our family tree and we have Lilleys who originally came from Derbyshire (Sarah Lilley) and moved to Dudley.Sarah's brother John Thomas moved to Canada . He was married to a Caroline Mara Worthington .
Are we related? I am not sure where the connection to Canada comes from .
Marytm

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 29 April 17 09:16 BST (UK) »
The Lilley grouping of this thread were descended from a line who were un Ireland from at least the early 1800s, with no known links to Derbyshire across any of the generations.

Offline Marytm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 29 April 17 09:58 BST (UK) »
Oh that is a shame.  always find t hard to believe t when they traveled so far in those days.
s there any way of checking USA \Canadian records without paying again on a Website?
Marytm