Author Topic: Grosvenor st Oldham  (Read 6540 times)

Offline MISS MARPLES

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grosvenor st Oldham
« on: Monday 10 November 08 14:42 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother Margaret Mason b 1886 gave birth to my mother   Sabina Mason in 1908 in Oldham Lancashire out of wedlock, on my mother birth cert   place of birth says 8, Grosvenor st Oldham, my mother said that she and my grandmother were took in by nuns in a convent, ,can any one tell me if the address she was born at could have been a convent as it is not the same address  as were she lived  which says on birth cert  Rochdale rd Oldham, any help appreciated Regards MM ???
AITKEN/AITKIN, BELL, BUSHBY, RITSON.  CLEAR, CLEWORTH, BATE, HAMBLEY, MASON, WELSH/ WALSH, BRADY, LAMB.

Offline Jo New

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Grosvenor st Oldham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 November 08 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi MM
have just Google Earth 8 Grosvenor st , Oldham , which brought it up as 8 Grosvenor st Rochdale ( bouldarys must of changed) , and the address is part of a row of terrace houses as far as i can see

hope this helps a bit more

Jo
UK Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MISS MARPLES

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 November 08 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jo,I will try to find who lived there at the time it could  have been a relation ,at least i now know it wasnt a convent ,thanks again for your time .MM :)
AITKEN/AITKIN, BELL, BUSHBY, RITSON.  CLEAR, CLEWORTH, BATE, HAMBLEY, MASON, WELSH/ WALSH, BRADY, LAMB.

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 November 08 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I can tell you that at 8 Grosvenor Street, Oldham in the 1901 census was a Robert Barker aged 62 who was a Lodging House Keeper.  So no help there apart from it definitely wasn`t a convent then ;D

Regards,
Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 November 08 22:48 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather used to tell me about Grosvenor Street Ragged School which I am fairly sure was just behind Rochdale Road.
However looking at the district description- still near to Rochdale Road (which is a long road  ;D) but not where I thought it was. It seemed to be more towards the Town Centre.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LancsLass

• I am sorry but my emails address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • All Census information is Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 November 08 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi...There was a Convent in Oldham, just off Manchester Rd..In 1907 the Sisters of the Convent of Mercy bought Werneth Grange on Grange Ave. Not sure if they were a Teaching order of a nursing order but there was a Nursing home in the area close by...
LL.
Scott,Hampshire,Kidger,Iles/Isles,Buckley,Winterbottom,Broadbent.Davenport,Lancashire,Yorkshire.
Eastwood, Eckersley, Newton,Partington,Forth, Smethurst,Stalker,Simpson,Oldham,Lancashire Lancashire.
Manning,Dobson,Bramwell,Sims/Syms,Cheshire,Staffordshire,Lancashire,Devon,Guernsey,Channel Islands.
Mallalieu/Mellodew. Ashton-u-Lyne/Saddleworth.

Offline MISS MARPLES

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 November 08 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to you all for the info and your time , I have tried to find who lived there in 1908 but no joy, thanks LL maybe that was the convent  you mentioned, I  will keep looking  kind regards MM :)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 February 09 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
just got notification that this topic has been split into 'two or more topics' but not sure what that means. ???
However, I hope that now the 1911 census is published, that you have found some more info MM. Mind you, I have just had a quick look and can't find her as Sabina Mason  :-\
best wishes
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gaille

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 February 09 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi...There was a Convent in Oldham, just off Manchester Rd..In 1907 the Sisters of the Convent of Mercy bought Werneth Grange on Grange Ave. Not sure if they were a Teaching order of a nursing order but there was a Nursing home in the area close by...
LL.

I think you are thinking of "Woodfield" on Manchester Rd?  (I was born there in 1966)
(it wasnt run by Nuns when I was born tho)

It was up at the top near where the Fire station used to be?

Gaille

Manchester – Bate(s) / Bebbington / Coppock or Coppart / Evans / Mitchell / Prince / Smith

Cheshire Latchford – Bibby / Savage / Smith.
Cheshire Macclesfield,  Bollington & Rainow – Childs / Flint / Mc'rea
Cheshire Crewe – Bate(s) / Bebbington
Shropshire Wellington, Wobwell – Smith
Walsall Midds – Smith
Norfolk - Childs / Hanwell / Smith

Also looking for:
Mc'Rea/McCrea – Ireland to Cheshire

And
any relatives of Margaret Bibby married to Thomas Smith all over country