Author Topic: Jane QUINN, possibly of Beleek  (Read 8834 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jane QUINN, possibly of Beleek
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 October 15 23:06 BST (UK) »
I note your comment " Patrick Quinn wasn't listed as officially in the police.  ", but does that cover the English, Northern Irish AND Eireann police forces?  Beleek is right on the border so there's every possibility they originated in Eire.

There was no Northern Ireland and Southern Ireland in Patrick Quinn's time- all Ireland was part of the U.K. It was the custom for policemen not to be posted in the county of their birth and if married/upon marriage not to be posted in the county where their wife was born. So, if Jane Quinn was born in Fermanagh it's likely that both her parents were born, and possibly married, elsewhere.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline nigelo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 October 15 23:37 BST (UK) »
There was no Northern Ireland and Southern Ireland in Patrick Quinn's time- all Ireland was part of the U.K. It was the custom for policemen not to be posted in the county of their birth and if married/upon marriage not to be posted in the county where their wife was born. So, if Jane Quinn was born in Fermanagh it's likely that both her parents were born, and possibly married, elsewhere.
Thanks. That's useful background I wasn't ware of.
OSBORNE, WAGHORN, LEDGER, DRURY, SMITHERMAN, TYLER, HUMPHREY, RABBITT, STAPLEY, BATT, WENMAN, SANDS, BUSS, QUINN, GARNETT

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 18 October 15 23:48 BST (UK) »
There's lots of information online if you google 'history of ric in ireland', etc.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/royal-irish-constabulary/

Not sure what the comment "Patrick Quinn wasn't listed as officially in the police" means but hopefully Debbie will expand on that.

Offline Debbie Roberts

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 19 October 15 07:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Nigel

I realise Susan was born to jane and Charles in 1865 prior to their wedding in 1866.  I thought on the 1861 it says Charles and Elizabeth, with their 3 children aged 4 and 2 years and 1 month.  Also funny that Charles and Jane didn't marry til 1866 - maybe he was still legally married to Elizabeth in 1865 but she died the following year enabling him to marry Jane - who knows.

Offline nigelo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 19 October 15 23:23 BST (UK) »
I thought on the 1861 it says Charles and Elizabeth, with their 3 children aged 4 and 2 years and 1 month.
No, not unless you are looking at a different census page to me. Just Charles and Elizabeth, living in High Street, Tonbridge. They do have a lodger (my assumption - actual relationship not recorded) "William Thomas, unmarried, 46yrs, Labourer, born Croydon".
If you do have a different census page let me know. We should sort out the correct one.
OSBORNE, WAGHORN, LEDGER, DRURY, SMITHERMAN, TYLER, HUMPHREY, RABBITT, STAPLEY, BATT, WENMAN, SANDS, BUSS, QUINN, GARNETT

Offline Debbie Roberts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 07:29 BST (UK) »
Morning Nigel - it was from something I saw at the weekend which I thought said Charles and Elizabeth were living in st Giles, Westminster with their 3 children - I'll try and find it but I must have got it wrong if they were in tonbridge high street.

Offline Debbie Roberts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 23:38 BST (UK) »
Had Nigel. This girl is what I had seen in your notes:

th … - View Family
Find marriage registration

by: Nigel Osborne
Note: 22/1/2007 - Looked at 1856 St Giles 1b/397 Charles Smithem & Elizabeth May. Then found them (plus children aged 4,2,& 1mth) on 1861 census at St Martins in the Fields, Westminster.

Offline Debbie Roberts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jane QUINN, possibly of Beleeky
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 23:44 BST (UK) »
Sorry predictive text gone a bit strange at the moment. 

Re Patrick Quinn not being officially in the police I remember talking to someone in Belfast years ago who looked him up in belleek area but there was no trace.  I may have who it was on my family tree maker notes but my PC takes so long to boot up I don't use it any more - I must invest in a new one some time!  He thought maybe he was a private detective . . .

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 22:44 BST (UK) »
It's quite possible that even if Jane was born in Belleek that her father Patrick Quinn wasn't in the police there but elsewhere.