Author Topic: TAGG/TEGG 1861 lookup please  (Read 7289 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: TAGG/TEGG 1861 lookup please
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Just to let you know - you can discount Sonning. I have the PRs on an Oxon FHS CD. There are a couple of later Teggs (no Taggs as such) in the baptisms but nothing around the time you're looking.

Jill

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you - it is always good to know where not to look!  Just to add to my research could you let  me know who the later Teggs are?

Thanks

Gill
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 13 November 08 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gill,

Those later Tegg baptisms in Sonning:

1828 31 Aug Sarah Tegg d/o Thomas & Rebecca of Burrow, labourer
1830 4 Jul Eliza Tegg d/o    - ditto -
1833 21 Jul Emma Tegg d/o - ditto -  but 'of Sonning'
1836 8 May Ann Tegg d/o    - ditto - but 'of Burrow' again.

Good luck!

Jill

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline pulpfiction

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 May 09 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hi ,My names Mark Tegg and ive been doing our family tree.I have traced my relatives back to Waltham st Lawrence but seem to have got stuck.I have been wondering if the surname changed and we came from Hurst but im not sure.If you have any info that can help me it would be gratefully received.Many thanks. Mark

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 07 May 09 14:26 BST (UK) »
Yes, the name does change and yes some of the Teggs from Waltham St Lawrence came from Hurst - who are your ancestors?

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline pulpfiction

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 07 May 09 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hi there,my relatives are James Tegg 1829/Alice sharp 1835 .I think there parents are James Tegg/tagg 1799 and Sarah Anderson 1800 who may have came from Hurst.So far there seems to have been alot of James and Sarahs.Many Thanks Mark Tegg

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 07 May 09 22:54 BST (UK) »

I have a James Tegg bp 1830, Hurst, son of Bethia Low and William Tagg. 

I also have James Tegg born 1830 Waltham  St Lawrence  married to Alice Sharp.  Parents James Tegg born 1801 Hurst, and Sarah (maiden name unknown).

I think James Tegg born 1801 was the son of another James Tegg or Tague born 1764 Chievely (see below) and Sarah Jordan.

James Teague married Sarah Jordan, who came from Bucklebury, in October 1797 in Hurst and James and Sarah Tagg then baptised James, Sarah who died in 1801, John who died in 1808, William, Alice, another Sarah, Elizabeth and another John.  James Snr died in 1827 age 62. 

James Tague was apparently baptised in Chievely, Berkshire  in September 1764,  was the son of James Tague and Jenny Deacon who had married at Chievely in 1756. 

Other researches have suggested that this last James Tague is also the James Tegg who was baptised in 1721 at Pangbourne, Berkshire, son of William Tegge and Elizabeth Burgess.

I am not sure that this is actually my branch and I have not thoroughly checked it so far.  I have been playing around with it because I think there is a link to mine somewhere and I am hoping to find it - my branch is more likely to be descended from John and Martha Tagg of Hurst but my Thomas Tagg, who says he was born in Hurst sometime between 1790 and 1796, does not appear on the Hurst records or indeed anywhere else so far as I can see!

There is quite a lot of the family tree for the Taggs/Teggs of Bucklebury, Chievely etc. in the public trees on ancestry.com.

I also suspect that somewhere there is a link to the Taggs of Thames Ditton and East Molesey/Kingston but I haven't found it yet.

My Taggs moved from Hurst to Bagshot, then to White Waltham and on to Ealing.

I have more information if you want it - let me know what you have and I can fill in gaps if I have anything.

Gill

Offline tj_

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 08 May 09 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Don't know if this helps but one of my gt. grandmother's maiden name was Tagg. According to her birth certificate, her parents were John & Elizabeth (nee Clifford) Tagg.

John was born c.1832 Waltham St. Lawrence. Died 31 March 1882 White Waltham.

But that's about all I've got on the Tagg's so far - I must admit I'm not having much luck with that line.

Tim
Andrews - Middlesex/Surrey
Meads - Berks/Bucks
Silver - Hampshire
Hyman - Middlesex/Somerset
Knight - Wraysbury, Bucks
Tagg (Tegg) - Bucks
Baldwin - Hampshire & Berks/Oxfordshire
Harmes - Middlesex

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 08 May 09 18:01 BST (UK) »
That's interesting because I have John Tagg  born 1832 Waltham St Lawrence as married to Elizabeth Wells with children Sarah, George, Louisa, William, Thomas and Alfred.  Are either Sarah or Louisa your gt grandmother? I have John as another son of James Tegg/Tagg and Sarah (Anderson).  Therefore a brother of the James being looked for by Mark.