Author Topic: Please help - Looking for Caseys who owned a mill in the mid-1800's  (Read 21303 times)

Offline caseyhagan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Please help - Looking for Caseys who owned a mill in the mid-1800's
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 18:31 GMT (UK) »
To TF13:
Thanks so much for the link to the miller website.  I've written to them and am anxious to hear if they will be able to help by providing a list of some sort.

To Murphy:
I appreciate the link to the Slater's directory.  I will start on that and see where it leads me.  You know, I'm also a Murphy!  My grandmother Alice Murphy married Peter Casey's son, Thomas.  Alice's mother was a Dunn.  I have no idea where they were from either, except for notes that my grandmother said HER parents used to mention Clonmell and Tipperarry.  There are WAY too many Murphys for me to trace them down, I'm afraid.
Casey, Murphy, Dunn, Ryan, Cooney, Carroll, Morgan, McCarron

Offline diavalos

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Offline diavalos

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have just been reading with interest your search for the Casey family in Ireland. I too am searching for Caseys. My husbands  Great Grandfather was James Casey from County Mayoh. He was born circa 1843. He married Catherine Keough from Dublin in Blackpool Lancashire England in 1865. I have their marriage certificate and his father was Edward Casey, he was a farrier. according to the certificate. I have no information of James whereabouts before the wedding. but he is on the  1871 census in Blackpool. I do not know if he came to England with Catherine or if he had brothers and sisters who came with him. Or if the family split and went seperate ways. Maybe to America. My husband however remembers seeing photos when he was a child of relatives in America although he does not know what the relationship was. As you probably have already discovered find ancestors in Ireland is needle in a haystack stuff, buti believe there were a number of Caseys in Mayoh. It would be interesting if this was the same Edward Casey as yours.
Regards Joyce

Offline caseyhagan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi to another Joyce!

Yes, it would indeed be something if our Edward turned out to be one and the same.  As for finding an ancestor in Ireland, it is darned near impossible!
I do know that my Elizabeth Casey, whose father was Edward Casey, was born in Ireland anywhere from 1845 to 1852, depending upon which census you believe.  I don't understand if they actually just lied about their age, or if they truly couldn't remember and just guessed.  My aunt, though, used to say the Irish always lied about their age.  If true, they probably did so out of necessity either to be old enough to work, or to naturalize or for whatever  reason.

Also, I believe time and dates were just not relevant or important to people who were just trying to survive each day.  It must have been so awful.  Imagine leaving your homeland, your family and friends and never being able to see them again, sailing in horrific conditions, going to unknown shores.  Unbelievable.

Anyway, let's keep sharing whatever information we can find.  I'm going to keep researching until I hit the wall.

Joyce

Offline GAJM

• I have turned off all notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Caseyhagan this could be totally unrelated but from Search for Missing Friends: Irish Immigrant Advertisements placed in The Boston Pilot 1831-1920

19 November 1859 BRIDGET FLANAGAN Ten Dollars Reward.OF BRIDGET FLANAGAN, Corgown, parish Kilglass [co. Roscommon], who sailed from Liverpool on the 9th of August last, and landed in New York on the 25th of September. Please address her cousin, Peter Casey, Cincinnati, Ohio Volume IV: 1857 - 1860 

Offline caseyhagan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 13 November 08 03:24 GMT (UK) »
Oh wow, Murphy, that really could be relevant.  It's so strange because it seems like I'm constantly being led to Roscommon.  I found a Petrum Casey christened in Strokestown, Roscommon, Ireland in 1834, parents Patritii and Annae Casey.  I understand that Latin was commonly used for these records.
Before that, I came across a Peter Casey, age 20, who came to US in 1854.  The passenger list said he was from Roscommon, bound for Ohio.  The times and age make more sense than the information handed down.  He HAD to be born around that time to naturalize when he did.
Please tell me about this Search for Missing Friends.  It really does sound quite promising and I will pursue it immediately.
Also, would it make logistical sense for Caseys from Roscommon to have relatives (cousins, in-laws) in possibly Leitrim,  Monaghan or Fermanagh?  Would they be close enough for people to have met and married at that time?  I've found that usually if you find one relative, you find more very nearby.
Again, I can't thank you enough for your help.

Joyce

Offline GAJM

• I have turned off all notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 13 November 08 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello caseyhagan,

The search for missing friends is available on NEHGS  which I signed  up to recently as I was doing alot of research in Massachusetts.

I have had a look at your information above and at the moment the only one I found that could be possibly related is the ad I found above.

I could have another look later on.

Also I had a case before where I knew two families were together related but ended up they werent from the same place in Ireland that one of them had married into the other family could be something to keep in mind.

Offline caseyhagan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 13 November 08 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that information.  Yes, I guess I shouldn't assume that they lived near each other in Ireland.  From the info you gave me, I searched the ships passenger lists for Sept 25, 1859, and only 1 ship arrived that day, a steamship named Kangaroo.  She wasn't on it, and I doubt that was her intended ship as it could make the return trip in 2 weeks' time.  Apparently, Bridget was to be sailing for about 6 weeks.  I also checked every ship for 5 days before and after without any luck.  There were apparently several terrible storms (hurricanes) around that time so that may have affected the schedules.
Also, I couldn't find any Flanagans in Corgowan in Griffith's Valuation, but there was one Casey.  There are many Flanagans found in Kilglass Parish, however, just not in that small town.
So you see, you've given me much to search for.  You know, I was near tears last night thinking of the desperation these folks must have gone through, not being able to get in touch with loved ones, maybe never knowing what became of them.  It puts today's problems into better perspective.  At least we have mobile phones!
Joyce

Offline caseyhagan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 23 November 08 01:02 GMT (UK) »
I've written to the web address for Mills and Millers of Ireland over a week ago, but have received no response.

I did a search today and came up with a book entitled "The Millers & The Mills of Ireland (1700-1900)" by William Hogg.  It is on readireland.ie and costs 55 euros, which is quite prohibitive.  It supposedly contains the only national mill record providing details of sites and names of millers and proprietors of the 19th century, which could possibly help me a good deal. 

I was wondering if anyone on this board might have access to it, i.e., in a library or collection of some sort that might be available to the public.  I really can't afford to spend nearly $80 at this time for a book that may or may not have any information I can use.  Or, maybe someone could suggest where I might purchase a second-hand copy.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Joyce