Author Topic: DNA results - the truth will out  (Read 2996 times)

Offline Jillie42

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA results - the truth will out
« on: Wednesday 12 November 08 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Recently had my husband's paternal DNA tested by Ancestry. There were no closes matches which really came as no surprise. A couple of weeks ago we had his second cousin's paternal DNA tested.

The results came through today. The markers between them are identical. A family mystery is now solved. His "second cousin" isn't a cousin at all but an uncle. This means he wasn't my father-in-laws first cousin but his half-brother. They shared the same father.

My father-in-law was illegitimate. He never knew his father's identity which meant my husband would never know who his paternal grandfather was. He does now.
Eaton (Woughton on the Green, Doncaster and N. London), Davis(Shinfield and London), Harrington (Ireland and London), Sutcliffe (Todmorden and London), Williams, Hollingsworth (Thaxted), Lane (Rotherhithe), Fuller (Chesterton, Cambs), Dilley (who knows where????)

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: DNA results - the truth will out
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 11:18 GMT (UK) »
What fantastic news for your husband. I hope it is for the whole family.

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Wow, Jillie!  ;D ;D

Great to read such a success story of DNA testing!  Your husband must be so pleased!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Jillie42

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 12:17 GMT (UK) »
I think he's pleased. I phoned him to tell him. The results didn't really come as that much of a surprise. It's actually given us even more incentive to find details about the man in question which has proved notoriously difficult so far.

The grandfather's a bigamist and now a proved adulterer as well. I think my husband is intrigued by his newly confirmed grandfather but probably not proud but then all of us have an ancestor that's "bad" ;)

The newly acquired aunts and uncles haven't been informed yet but this was the outcome they were hoping for. My father-in-law died a couple of years ago so sadly never got the chance to know who his father was for certain, however he would I think be pleased to know has now got sibblings rather then just cousins.
Eaton (Woughton on the Green, Doncaster and N. London), Davis(Shinfield and London), Harrington (Ireland and London), Sutcliffe (Todmorden and London), Williams, Hollingsworth (Thaxted), Lane (Rotherhithe), Fuller (Chesterton, Cambs), Dilley (who knows where????)

Offline BuddysMummy

• RootsChat Member
  • Old family home in Rockhampton, Qld. Still there.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 12:21 GMT (UK) »

but then all of us have an ancestor that's "bad" ;)

And then some of us have a list of ancestors who are all "bad" in this way.

As I collect certificates I have found that we have many (very many) abnormally short pregnancies for the first borns of the families, but rarely, if ever for the subsequent children! ;D

I do hope that your husband is ok with the news. I think it can often be a bit unsettling.
Rands - Hackney. Bedfordshire.
Griffiths - Birkenhead. Queensland, Australia
Ollive/Olive - Cheshire. Birkenhead
Holt - ?Cheshire/Liverpool
Lacey - Mile End, London. Queensland, Australia
Felix (surname ), Wales, England.
Sewell - Middx. Queensland, Australia
Sapsord/ Sapsford - Middx

Offline The Geneal Geologist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jillie42 -
Good news for you. I presume the Ancestry test was for paternity rather than for genetic genealogy? The former is for "who's the father", whereas the other is to identify a common ancestor - not necessarily a father. Your original post wasn't clear.

Thanks.

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jillie42,
So good to hear that your test was successful in sorting out the family mystery - I, too, hope the news has a positive effect.
After all the bad press about DNA testing recently it is good to hear from someone for whom it has been beneficial and  worthwhile.
Great news - thanks for letting us know!
Paulene :)

Offline Jillie42

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jillie42 -
Good news for you. I presume the Ancestry test was for paternity rather than for genetic genealogy? The former is for "who's the father", whereas the other is to identify a common ancestor - not necessarily a father. Your original post wasn't clear.

Thanks.

No it was for the closest male genealogical match. There is a comparison chart which tells you how close the match is and how distant the male relative was. In several cases this has been 25 generations and approx 750 years which gives about 6 or seven mutations/differences from my husband's profile. But it is only a paternal DNA test. These cousins were supposedly only related on the "female" side so any similarities in the Y DNA test have to be on the father's/grandfathers side.

Our results which are purely father to son show a 100% match with no mutations which indicates
a very close male ancestor - in this case approx within one or two generations.

To our knowledge the "grandfather" had no brothers who are likely to be candidates for my father-in-laws father.

Offline The Geneal Geologist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 November 08 07:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the clarification, Jillie42.
Indeed a good result to get an exact match, and fortunate there was no mutations. Also for explaining the paper trail, which is an important component. If you're a member of ISOGG, they would like to receive success stories.
Best wishes to you & yours.