Author Topic: MCLEAN at Mark, Kirkmabreck  (Read 5514 times)

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
MCLEAN at Mark, Kirkmabreck
« on: Friday 14 November 08 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone researching this family? From the Testament of Mrs. Sarah McTaggart or McLean, who died 9 August 1849 at Mark. She was married to Alexander McLean (b. Abt. 1774 - d. 12 Feb 1833, Mark). Three daughters are mentioned in the document: Jessie (b.? d. 23 Jun 1879, Mark), Mary (b. Abt. 1801 - d. 29 Nov 1892) and Sarah (b.Abt 1816 - d. 23 Jan 1866). The three daughter would inherit the estate, but only on condition that if they married, they would forfeit their share!

Amongst other assets Sarah McTaggart McLean "held one tenth share of the sheep stock and certain other effects on the Station of Bergen Opzoon in the district of New England in the Colony of New South Wales ....about 17,000 sheep of different ages .....not worth more than Pounds 5,000". 

Son John McLean seems to have gone to Australia. He died there at Port McQuarrie, New South Wales, on 1 October 1843 (b. Abt 1806).

Other children of Alexander McLean and Sarah McTaggart were:
Alexander (b. 1798 d. ?), residing at Mark in 1849
Margaret (b. Abt 1807 d.?), believed to have married
Samuel (b. Abt 1811 - 30 Mar 1877)
James (b. Abt 1814 - d. ?), Writer in Wigtown in 1848. He married Elizabeth Ronald and had children who were all born in Wigtown.

I am hoping that someone might have more information about Alexander McLean? Any history about Mark would also be appreciated  ;D  Scatza
McMurrie/McMurray, McFegan, McClune, Coltart, Shaw, McLean - Kirkcudbright; McMurray, Simpson, Adams, Mussett South Africa

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MCLEAN at Mark, Kirkmabreck
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 January 09 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scatza  :)

Just seen this.

There are three MIs that might be of interest in the Kirkyard of the old Kirkmabreck church - up in the hills. The graves are adjacent:

William McLean, Spittle, died Nov 1703, aged 80.
First son, John died Oct 1712, aged 63
Son Samuel died Jan 1755 aged 76
       his son Samuel, now of Mark, died 6 June 1779, aged 77
                    his son John died July 1750, aged 3
                    also wife Jean Gordon and children Isabell and Elis

Alex McLean died Mark 12 Feb 1833, aged 76
wife Sarah McTaggart died Mark 9 Aug 1849 aged 74

There is an attached note to this inscription:
(see also  SRO E106/20/3 Valuation Roll of 1799 where Alex McLean is owner of Mark, valued at £30)

Alex McLean, late of Mark's
Third son Samuel died 30 March 1877, aged 66
Third daughter Jessie died 23 June 1879, aged 74
Youngest daughter Sarah died 23 Jan  1886, aged 73
First daughter Mary died 29 Nov1892, aged 92

From this, it would appear that one of the McLeans listed in grave 1 is possibly Alex's father or a vey close relative.

Hope this helps

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 January 09 11:37 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage/banns showing for Alexander McClean and Sarah McTaggart on SP:

1st January 1798 Whithorn, Wigtownshire

McLean - Alexander, Esq. in Mark, Kirkmabreck and Sarah McTaggart in Drumorral

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 January 09 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Go to http://www.nls.uk/maps/counties/index.html#kirkcudbrightshire

and select   - Ainslies Map of 1797

Zoom in and Pan about  to  find the Moneypool Burn. Mark is shown to the right (East)  of this just north of Chapeltown, the old Military Road and Ballachanour

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 January 09 12:13 GMT (UK) »
The Wigtownshire Pages has a marriage entry for Susan, fifth daughter of the late Alex M'Lean, esq of Mark to a John Palmer Younghusband of Floraville, Cumberland :

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~leighann/wfp/marriages/28.html

Also - from the Old Statistical Accounts of Scotland, Mark had extensive lead deposits:

http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/scotgaz/parishes/parhistory1060.html

Gadget

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 January 09 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all this helpful information, Gadget :) All part of the loooooong mission to find my gggg grandfather Nathaniel Shaw married to Isabella McLean, parents of Isabella Shaw McMurray. Its been 8 years now ......there is no marriage record in the OPR's and only some of their children's birth records. The McLean's and Shaws in Kirkmabreck in the late 1700's contintue to elude and confuse me  ::)

Scatterling
McMurrie/McMurray, McFegan, McClune, Coltart, Shaw, McLean - Kirkcudbright; McMurray, Simpson, Adams, Mussett South Africa

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 January 09 15:59 GMT (UK) »
The Wigtownshire Pages has a marriage entry for Susan, fifth daughter of the late Alex M'Lean, esq of Mark to a John Palmer Younghusband of Floraville, Cumberland :

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~leighann/wfp/marriages/28.html

Also - from the Old Statistical Accounts of Scotland, Mark had extensive lead deposits:

http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/scotgaz/parishes/parhistory1060.html

P.S. Gadget, I forgot to add that I have followed Susan McLean and John Palmer Younghusband.   Palmer, which is most likely John's mother's MS,  led me to James Palmer who married my Isabella Shaw McMurrays' sister, Sarah McLean Shaw. Their mother was an Isabella McLean, so you can see where my interest in the Testament and the Mark McLean's in Kirkmabreck started. Then the McTaggart confused the picture again! What makes us keep doing this  :P

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 January 09 16:04 GMT (UK) »
If it's any help - or sadness - I think there is a gap in the Kirkmabreck records from late 1700s to the first decade of the 1800s - my Jean Carson's banns (1808) aren't there and they should be. Luckily I've got the one's from Kells (her husband's parish) via a film from the LDS (entries so bad that they've not been digitized/indexed by SP)

Added - do you have the Kirkmabreck MIs - I could look for Shaw if that's any good.

Gadget

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 January 09 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks ...I do have the Kirkmabreck MI's, but I did notice that Isabella's birth place is sometimes given in records as Anwoth.  I understand there was a period when there was either no minister, or an incompetent one?, and that the Anwoth Kirk did the recording for Kirkmabreck.  I had a cursory look at Anwoth MI's while there, but was focused on McMurrays at that time. Do you think .... possibly .....I overlooked someone .....I'd appreciate it if you have a moment?