Author Topic: Sullivan  (Read 3832 times)

Offline morminor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Sullivan
« on: Sunday 16 November 08 11:10 GMT (UK) »
I have Ellen Mary Sullivan as my great grandmother!!

Yes another mystery lady of my family as I no history her either!!

She marryed on 29 May 1870 at Amberley? North Canterbury to David McNamara son of Bernard and Catherine McNamara from County Down, Ireland they arrived on Blue Jacket in 1866. 

Ellen and David lived in Bellcairn for most of there married lived they celebrated there golden wedding anniversay.  They moved to Christchurch before they died and are buried at brackenfield catholic cemetery.

They on a few clue I have on Ellen Mary Sullivan are that she is from Ireland.
And when named here youngest son she used a family name for him that was William Ambrose Brown

This is all I have go on in this case please help me!
Ireland[Armagh]:Price.:Darkley:Robinson.[Down]:Moore,Lundy,Lunday,McNamara.:Drumore:Quinn.[Kerry]:Kilflyn:Lynch,Hayes.:Cahirleheen:Lounie,Barrett.[Dongel]:Boyle,O'Donnell.[Tyrone]:McCrenor.[?]:Sullivan. New Zealand[Canterbury]:Bellcairn:McNamara.:Methven: McCrenor,Quinn.:Kerrytown:Lynch,Barrett.[Otago]:Oamaru:Robinson,Boyle. USA[Mass]:Eager,Hayes.:Vermont:Hayes. Canada[Ontanio]:Price.:Orillia:Robinson. Australia[New South Wales]:Price,Robinson.

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sullivan
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 November 08 18:50 GMT (UK) »
HI
1. Newspaper reports of the marriage for parents names and you have date, so does cert have no family info?
A Later David Mcnamara
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~ashleigh/1870-1908/1900.May.Star.Christchurch.BMD.html in that region.

2. An ellen Sullivan arrives 1865 http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&srpos=18&cl=search&d=DSC18650216.2.5.1&e=-------en--11----2%22ellen+sullivan%22-all but sadly there are many Ellen sullivans on the indexes.

BYe
Althea

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 November 08 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Have you details of this:

Taken from the war census

Surname   MCNAMARA
Given Name   William Ambrose Brown
Category   Second Reserves
Last NZ Address   The Deans Amberley Christchurch
Occupation   Shepherd
Classification   D

Cheers
KHP :)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 November 08 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Have you already the marriage details of William?

McNAMARA William Ambrose Brown
Date 1914
Folio 4603
Spouse CONNELL  Hanora
Further enquiries to NZSG Brides & Grooms Collection

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 November 08 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Classification D = Reservists who have three children.  So this should help in looking for births of children. 

Cheers

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 November 08 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Wonder if this could be a son of William Ambrose Brown McNamara ....  Ambrose Brown McNamara - the age fits with a couple of years from marriage:

Christchurch cemetery link

http://librarydata.christchurch.org.nz/Cemeteries/interment.asp?surname=mcnamara&firstname=&year1=&year2=

Cheers

PS:  William Ambrose Brown McNamara is there as well,  and his wife Honora

Offline newbe_nz

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 November 08 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Wonder if this could be a son of William Ambrose Brown McNamara ....  Ambrose Brown McNamara - the age fits with a couple of years from marriage:

Christchurch cemetery link

http://librarydata.christchurch.org.nz/Cemeteries/interment.asp?surname=mcnamara&firstname=&year1=&year2=

Cheers

PS:  William Ambrose Brown McNamara is there as well,  and his wife Honora

Hi there,

I can go down to the cemetery and see if there isa a headstone form them if you like. If one is there I will take a photo of it for you.

Let me know please

Newbe
Purcell, - Limerick - Ireland,Australia, Westland, NZ
Coppell  - England 1734 to now, New Zealand - 1853 to now
Buckby - England, Australia, New Zealand - 1630 to now
Smith New Zealand
Parker -England - New Zealand  - 1800 to now
Lilley,Lillie, Lilly  - England -New Zealand - 1800 to now
Dykins - Wales, England, New Zealand -  1752 to now
Reynolds, England- 1800 to now
Newdick -Norfolk and Suffolk England , Australia, New Zealand - 1700 to now

Offline Brian McNamara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 February 15 21:40 GMT (UK) »
I am a grandson of William Ambrose Brown McNamara, born in 1882, whose parents were David McNamara and Ellen Sullivan. Grandad Will married Honora Connell and had six children of whom my father was the eldest.

All my brothers are with me at the moment visiting. One tells me that our Aunt Lucy's story was that David came in from Australia, having jumped ship. We have records which show that Ellen Sullivan arrived in NZ either on the "Glenmark" or the "Matako". The info on the 'Matako" comes from an obituary in the Christchurch Press 22/9/1937.

Info re the 'Glenmark' comes from a note written on a copy of that obituary written by a daughter of Jack McNamara, Erica Hopkinson, who was David and Ellen's second son. According to cousin Erica, Ellen arrived on 21 January 1865 having embarked on the 'Glenmark' in the UK on 29 October 1864. Ellen came from County Waterford.

Like you, we have not found an entry point for David or Ellen. I have found in an Irish Census the fact that a Bernard McNamara and a Catherine Quinn both lived in the same road in County Down near Downpatrick which fits too well not be taken very seriously as referring to our great great grandparents who emigrated on the 'Bluejacket' in 1866.

Offline New Zealander

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 00:02 GMT (UK) »
A rank outsider most likely. 

I realize also that there are many Ellen Sullivan's who can be found in Irish records .. births, baptisms etc.  However the information may be of use.

My great grandfather X 3 was John Sullivan baptized in St Coleman's Cathedral in Queenstown (now known as Cobh) in County Cork, Ireland on 28.10.1838. He also had a sister Ellen Sullivan baptized in the same Cathedral on 23.02.1840.

County Waterford is right next door to County Cork and no great distance from Cobh.

When visiting Cobh (Queenstown)Ireland in 2013 I have viewed the actual record for both persons in the St Coleman's Parish Record Office in Cobh and also have a copy of it.  As well I have a baptism certificate for John Sullivan.

I do not have any further knowledge of Ellen Sullivan.

Alex G
Glasgow .. Glennie/Bryce, Aberdeenshire .. Glennie/ Grassick,
Clackmannanshire .. Bryce/Miller
Arbroath .. Spink
Oxfordshire .. Green
Cornwall .. Vincent

Ireland (Cobh) .. Sullivan

New Zealand .. Glennie/Bryce/Grassick/Spink/Palmer

Chatham Islands .. Rewai

Australia .. Glennie/Ross/Lusk