Author Topic: Huntingdonshire Militia  (Read 3940 times)

Offline JANICE BRUCE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Huntingdonshire Militia
« on: Sunday 16 November 08 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Does anyone have any information on the Huntingdoneshire Militia and why a private soldier in this militia would have been in Pembrokeshire, South Wales c. 1804.  His name was Joseph Morris and he married a local girl Jane Rees in this year, and remained in Pembrokeshire for the rest of his life.  He wasn't even born in Huntingdonshire, but Northamptonshire c. 1784.

I would be very grateful for any information about the militia or possible sources of information.

Thanks.

Janice

Offline swell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Huntingdonshire Militia
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 December 08 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Janice,
I can't help much with details of the Huntingdonshire Militia, but I can tell you that members of the Militia were embodied ( that is called up to serve at various places around the UK to allow the regular army to be sent overseas to fight, etc.)
Your relative would have been sent with his unit to garrison a military establishment may be from about 1803 to 1814/16.
He obviously found the area or someone worth staying on for when his Militia days were done with.
You may have some success by contacting the Huntingdon Record Office for details of their Militia.
Good Luck
Ed.

Offline swell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 December 08 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Janice

Just a little more about the Huntingdonshire Militia.
They were formed about 1641 and in 1881 the Huntingdon Militia Regiment were to become the 5th Battalion, The King's Royal Rifle Corps.
I have a book about the UK Militia, dated 1908 which states that there are no records available of the embodied periods and services of the Huntingdonshire Regiment.
At least you do know that around 1804 they were in Pembroke and as you may know Pembrokeshire was the area that saw the last invasion of the British mainland in 1797 by the French.

Ed.

Offline JANICE BRUCE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 December 08 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ed,

Thank you for your response to my post.  I have already contacted the Huntingdonshire Record Office, but unfortunately they were unable to supply any information on the Militia. 

As Joseph Morris was born in Northamptonshire I am assuming that Militia's did not just confine their recruitment to one County or region?

Thanks.

Janice