Author Topic: Hill family of Larne, Hillmount and Ballymena  (Read 25464 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hill family of Larne, Hillmount and Ballymena
« Reply #72 on: Sunday 08 January 17 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Emily is listed in the burial register as 'teacher' so perhaps she was buried in plot of family she lived with or worked for.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Monday 16 January 17 03:22 GMT (UK) »
Some of these people may tie into the Hill family that we are researching at some point in time, so I will document them here:

From PRONI Wills:

Hugh Alfred Anderson of Coleraine, Londonderry, died 1933, probate to Lizzie Anderson, wife,
Minnie Evelyn McNeill, married woman,  Charles Richard Anderson, solicitor, Arthur Reginald Anderson, draper, and Robert Findlay Steedman, secretary.

Arthur Reginald Anderson, died 1947, of "Spring Gardens", Coleraine, retired draper, probate to John McNeill, retired chief inspector of county, Thomas Knox Caldwell, county agricultural officer, and James Richard Jackson, veterinary surgeon.

Arthur Forde Trevor Darley Hill, died 1938, of 5 Flat Thornhill, Malone RD., Belfast, probate to Eric Desmond Hume Darley Hill, bank official.

Samuel Whiteford Hill, M.D. of Pound Street, Larne, died 1929 in Birmingham, England, probate granted to William Smyth, farmer.

Margaret McNeill, died 1923 of Hillmount, Larne, probate to John Guthrie McNeill, Esq. and Lucy Edith Kirkpatrick, married woman, and William Walsh Williams, solicitor,

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 11:20 GMT (UK) »
I just remembered that John Finlay (c. 1835-1907) of Glenmona Lodge, Cushendun, flax merchant, was married, according to his son, to a Miss Annie Hill,  who died 6 Jan. 1876;  he m. secondly in 1877 to Harriett Elizabeth Lepper, a dau of William Harper Lepper and his Macaulay wife.  Harriet Lepper was a niece of John's first wife.

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 09:59 BST (UK) »
http://coquitlamites.blogspot.com/2013/07/henry-emerson.html

1.  William Emerson m. Sarah Arbuthnot
2.  Eliza Emerson b. abt. 1790
2.  George Emerson, b. abt. 1792
2.  Arbuthnot Emerson, b . abt. 1802 m. Mary Hill of Hillmount
3.  George Hill Emerson, b. 1828; m. 1851 Anne Jane Macaulay, dau of Capt. George Macaulay and Jane Hill of Hillmount.
4.  Arbuthnot Macauley Emerson m. 1 Eliza Susanna Kent; m. 2 Emily Hill--See website above for part of this family's story.
2.  James Emerson (Sir James Emerson-Tennent);  m. Letitia Tennent, dau of William Tennent, Esq. of Belfast.

I am interested in the above Emily Hill's parentage.  Was she a blood relation of her husband?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 11:35 BST (UK) »
It is difficult to follow the layout of the above family. Are you saying that Arbuthnot Macauley Emercon who married twice was the son of George Hill Emerson & Anne Jane Macaulay?

There is an online tree with more details on William Emerson's family-
https://gw.geneanet.org/belfast8?lang=en&n=emerson&oc=0&p=arbuthnot

According to the link you posted above, 2nd wife Emily was English (and eldest daughter born in England) so not sure why you think details of Emily might be found in Ireland. Does the marriage certificate not list her marital status and father's name and occupation?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 11:37 BST (UK) »
Sure enough, marriage was in England not Ireland-

July/Sept.1885 Lambeth district (volume 1d page 633)- Arbuthnot Macaulay EMERSON on same page as Emily HILL

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 16:27 BST (UK) »
Daughter Florence Emily's birth registration shows mother's maiden name as Hill-
EMERSON, FLORENCE  EMILY   (HILL)
GRO Reference: 1887  D Quarter in READING  Volume 02C  Page 341

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Monday 20 August 18 03:35 BST (UK) »
Hi, Aghadowey,
Yes, Arbuthnot was the son of George Hill Emerson and Anne Jane Macaulay.  From what I have read in a letter that can be found on the PRONI website, George also had difficulties in life  as there is a letter from Sir James Tennent telling his son, William (later Sir William Emerson-Tennent) to avoid having any contact with his cousin, George.

I really didn't believe that the details for Emily could be found in England.  I am just curious whether some members of the Hill family had moved to England as Arbuthnot Emerson had done.  As this family is of no relation to mine, I have really no interest in spending money for a marriage certificate.  In my case, I am just basically a Macaulay researcher who is interested in the Macaulays who are originally from Ardincaple (Ardencaple), Scotland.

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Monday 20 August 18 14:35 BST (UK) »
This thread runs and runs!

I see that in November Pablo mentioned Glenmona Lodge.  That had previously belonged (or was leased) to Michael Harrison (1769-1846) whose memorial is in the little church in Cushendun that he had contributed to the building of.  His sister Margaret (b. 1770) married David Hill, merchant, of Larne -- a branch of the Hills that has been mentioned only briefly in the thread (in spite of the subject line).

I've found only one child of that marriage: Lt Hugh Harrison Hill was baptized in Larne in June 1805 and died at Sehore in India in 1830 on his way to take leave.  I imagine he had been granted sick leave from the 40th Native Infantry.

Can anyone enlarge on that?  I know quite a lot about the Harrisons of Ballymena but would like to know where David Hill fits in and whether he had other children.

Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds