Author Topic: Ritchie - Scots Irish  (Read 5492 times)

Offline TF13

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Emain Macha
    • View Profile
Re: Ritchie - Scots Irish
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 November 08 12:41 GMT (UK) »
there is a maghera village and parish not far from castlewellan. maybe dunmore was the name of a house.

tony

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 November 08 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Mystery solved.

Magherahamlet Presbyterian Church founded c1826 (1st minister 1831 Rev. Thomas Clarke).

Photo on this page:
www.lissara.com/downpresbytery.htm

And this page explains how Dunmore fits:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/PHOTOSwords/MagherahamletAll.htm
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 November 08 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Ros Davies keeps it simple and has plenty of Ritchies listed
Magherahamlet
(now part of Dromara parish)
20:35/48  Magherahamlet Seceeding Presbyterian Church in Drumgavelin townland
on the road between Seaforde & Dromara. This Meeting House began under the Secession Synod and was built in 1830 by private subscription.
Records- baptisms from 1831 & marriages from 1832. The graveyard near the church is small with mainly modern gravestones, gravestone inscriptions available UHF Vol 9; email me Ros davies for a gravestone look-up or pay per view gravestone inscriptons on www.irishgenealogy.ie   References;V12 p 63, 66, 67 OSM ; GIC; MIs; POD 
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline helenar

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 November 08 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Here is another option for gravestones go to history for headstones and you can compare what is available

http://www.ancestryireland.com/index.php

Helena

Offline jillian ann

• RootsChat Extra
  • James Thomas Ritchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 25 November 08 08:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all very much for your help on this one, I did find the church and matched the Rev Thomas Clarke to the Baptism record, so I'm sure it is the right church.

Just to clarify: I need to look for Drumgavelin townland -
Parish District : Magherahamlet
County Down

If I can associate the area with weavers then I think I would have cracked it.

Sadly, I have not been able to find any baptism records for the rest of the children but they were born before Daniel, so maybe in a different Presbyterian church in that area. I shall keep looking  :)

Thank you all for your interest.

Jill

Ritchie:  Pendelton/Salford/ haslingden/Ireland
Samuell/Samwell:  Tottenham/Newton Heath
Turner: Wray Head Drigg Cumbria
Smith: Oxfordshire/Ireland
Scott: Great Oakley Essex/Westminster

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 25 November 08 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Daniel's baptism is one of the earlier ones in the church so older siblings nearly had to have been baptised elsewhere.
Drumgavlin townland is in Dromara (civil) Parish.
There would have been weavers all over the area. In early 1800s weaving would have been done at home.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 November 08 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Could the 2nd entry be your Daniel Ritchey from Ros Davies Co Down website
John RITCHIE . Dromara area part executor in the will of James McKenny of Drinn who d. 2 Apr 1901 PRONI wills
William RITCHIE . Dromara  son of Daniel Ritchie ; married Margaret Patterson 8 Dec 1854 CR

looking for an earlier Presbyterian church, however I don’t know the area so a wild guess using Ros davies again might be
1st Dromara Presbyterian Church
in Ardtannagh townland on the road between Dromara and Banbridge
Records from 1763, for records see Batch # C700041 on www.familysearch.org; graveyard attached, oldest gravestone 1769; gravestone inscriptions Vol 19 UHF; email me Ros Davies for a gravestone look-up

For the earlier records I think I would keep an eye on the nearest Church of Ireland church to Dunmore as sometimes other denominations were included  in some records so Ros davies again
Magherahamlet Dromara  . once a parish & a townland; Church of Ireland here; Glebe house in Drumgavelin ;means ‘plain of the plague-cemetery’; school here V12 p 63, 66 OSM:BH; HMP  so I found
Magherahamlet Church of Ireland
on the road between Ballynahinch & Castlewellan on the western shore of McAuley's Lough
The original medieval church was at Templemoyle in Dunmore townland. This present church was built to serve tourists visiting at nearby Spa. It was built in 1816 at a cost of £500 from Board of First Fruits and enlarged in 1870.
Some records destroyed in Dublin but PRONI has births, deaths & marriages 1823- 1862; Graveyard attached ,gravestones UHF Vol 9; oldest stone 1822; email me Ros Davies for a gravestone look-up or pay per view gravestone inscriptons on www.irishgenealogy.ie
 References;V12 p 63, 66, 67 OSM; DR: V 9 MIs; GIC; DR 21/6/2006L
 good luck, Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline jillian ann

• RootsChat Extra
  • James Thomas Ritchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 26 November 08 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Jim, many thanks for the information. I took a look at Ros Davies Co Down website but I cannot place the John entry even though Daniel had a son John but he was born in Haslingden, Rawtenstall, Manchester. Daniel also had a son William ( my grt grandfather) but he was not born until 1864/65 again in Manchester, they could be cousins of Daniel or related in someway. O I also noticed in the 1861 census for Rawtenstall that there is a John Ritchie living with Daniels parents Robert and Sarah but he is down as a lodger, so maybe he is Daniels brother, he is about the same age and a weaver as well.   I shall have to keep them in mind.  Really good site. So thanks for that. :-*

I also looked at family.org with that batch number, but no Ritchie/Ritchey there.

I did notice the church that was built for the spa tourists, so maybe I might get lucky there.

I have a feeling that Daniels family left Ireland during the famine years, but the earliest record I have for Daniel being in Manchester England is 1853 marriage cert. He married a Bridget Turner from Cumbria and it looks like his first child was born in Scotland 9 mths later  :o, I was hoping to find him on 1851 census somewhere maybe with the rest of the family. To no avail.... I shall have to keep looking.

Many thanks for your interest.

regards Jill
Ritchie:  Pendelton/Salford/ haslingden/Ireland
Samuell/Samwell:  Tottenham/Newton Heath
Turner: Wray Head Drigg Cumbria
Smith: Oxfordshire/Ireland
Scott: Great Oakley Essex/Westminster

Offline Robert C

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 22 June 20 15:44 BST (UK) »
The Wightman family still live on Dunmore Road which is quite near Magherahamlet Presbyterian and Magherahamlet (C of Ireland) Parish churches. The Wightmans have Business premises on the Dunmore Road.