Author Topic: Jacoleum  (Read 4600 times)

Offline Ruscombe

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Jacoleum
« on: Friday 04 February 05 19:44 GMT (UK) »
A cousin in the USA has come across a birth or baptismal record of an ancestor born in Wexford with the forename of Jacoleum.   Has anyone come across this name before or have any idea of its origin and meaning.

Durney Liverpool and Ireland
Bowden Liverpool

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Jacoleum
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 January 06 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ruscombe,

I have read this query several times and my mind for some peculiar reason thought "surname". I have just noticed that Jacoleum is the forename. It may help cast some light on this interesting query if you would post the family surname. I feel it may be a misspelling - possibly a French name like Jacques but the "leum" added to Jaco has me puzzled. The thought has struck me that the cleric who completed the Baptismal record had overindulged the previous night and misheard the child's parents say the three words "Jack or Liam".

I hope others will now have second thoughts and make some suggestions

Best Wishes, Christopher 

Offline Ruscombe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 January 06 19:33 GMT (UK) »
 Hello Christopher

I like your sense of humour  :)   However, I dont think it feasible the parents would have given the Cleric a choice.   The family name if it helps is DURNEY.

Cheers.

Bob.
Bowden Liverpool

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 January 06 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Could it be badly written Latin - Jacobus (James) ?
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 August 06 23:36 BST (UK) »
Hiya Bob,

When was this ancestor Jacoleum Durney in Wexford?
I had a look at Griffiths Valuation for the county. There was a John Durney there in 1853.

Chris

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 August 06 07:56 BST (UK) »
Baptisms were often written in Latin - Jacobus (James) is the best I can think of. I suppose when handwritten the 'b' could look like 'le' and the 'us' look like 'um' - do you think?
There are a couplf James Durneys on Family Search submitted by church members.
best wishes
heywood

Offline Ruscombe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 August 06 17:18 BST (UK) »
Chris and Heywood.    Have not been active in my research for some time due to illness.  However, your posts have motivated me to have a look in my files and this is what I have on Jacoleum.
COUNTY WEXFORD BIRTHS Baptismal Data provided by Wexford Heritage Centre August 2003.
Record of children born to James Dorney and Mary Browne  Baptised in the RC Parish of Bangor
Name.       Baptised     Address     Sponsor          Sponsor         Church Registry

Elenor       19 Dec 1844 Hilltown    John Molloy    Margaret Doyle 02 Pge 52 05
Catherine  07 Feb 1845     "          N/A                  N/A                   01 Pge 62 02
John          03 Mar 1849     "          N/A                  N/A                   01 Pge 79 12
Jacoleum   05 Sep 1853     "         James McGrath Cath Sweeney 01 Pge 84 11
Christopher 7 Jun 1858     "         Michael Dorney Mary Moran      01 Pge 112 07
William       09 May 1860   "         David Walsh      Marg Doran      01 Pge 120 13
James        03 Feb 1863    "        William Lacey     Maria Dorney    01 Pge 131 12

I am inclined to think Heywood has hit the nail on the head with Jacobus (James)   and that he may have died hence the name being given to James in 1863.   Note the use of the old name of Dorney.

Many thanks and best regards to you both.

Bob.

Bowden Liverpool

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 August 06 18:08 BST (UK) »
That's good- I can't really see it being anything else but you never know- best to wait until you ever get anything else.
best wishes in your renewed interest!
heywood

Offline simplyelkay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 January 20 07:22 GMT (UK) »
From a very old posting in this thread the following information was obtained that is about Durney/Dorney family births in Wexford:

COUNTY WEXFORD BIRTHS Baptismal Data provided by Wexford Heritage Centre August 2003.
Record of children born to James Dorney and Mary Browne  Baptised in the RC Parish of Bangor
Name.       Baptised     Address     Sponsor          Sponsor         Church Registry

Elenor       19 Dec 1844 Hilltown    John Molloy    Margaret Doyle 02 Pge 52 05
Catherine  07 Feb 1845     "          N/A                  N/A                   01 Pge 62 02
John          03 Mar 1849     "          N/A                  N/A                   01 Pge 79 12
Jacoleum   05 Sep 1853     "         James McGrath Cath Sweeney 01 Pge 84 11
Christopher 7 Jun 1858     "         Michael Dorney Mary Moran      01 Pge 112 07
William       09 May 1860   "         David Walsh      Marg Doran      01 Pge 120 13
James        03 Feb 1863    "        William Lacey     Maria Dorney    01 Pge 131 12

I am specifically trying to find details on John Durney/Dorney baptised 3/3/1849 and although I have volume, page number and line details I just cannot find the entry.

Would anyone be able to assist in posting the actual page?

Thanks in advance)
Lesley Kelly (my grandmother was a Durney