Author Topic: john dolan 1841 census  (Read 1200 times)

Offline tallted

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
john dolan 1841 census
« on: Friday 16 April 04 15:42 BST (UK) »
I am looking for my grt.grt. grandfather john dolan. He had a son also called john in 1847.  I am trying to establish if the senior john dolan showed in the 1841 census and who else resided with him.  Also 1851 records could be very useful. As far as I am informed the son was born in Chorlton Upon Medoc? so that is probably where they resided.
Thanks
Tallted
Surnames I am Interested in:
Dolan, Banks, Chambers, Bemi, Hills, Crowe

skippy

Re:john dolan 1841 census
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 April 04 02:49 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Have you got a birth cert for john jnr (if not try 1837.com - pay per view
min pay £5.00 - 10p to view each page) also has a link for ordering certs - cost £7.00 each cert ordered online.
A certificate will confirm birth address, parentage, DOB. fathers occupation and registration/sub registration of County birth.

The Lancs 1841 census is spread over 9 discs. There is no
name index and street indexes (where they exist), are spread between districts and discs.
In other words Enumerators recorded 1/4 or 1/2 a street depending upon their brief and street bounderies and other enumerator(s) would come along and do the rest.
1/4 of the street may bound upon a different district and may possibly be noted to be within a differing township but still recorded within that township or it could have been recorded in the neighbouring township.
The enumeration pattern seems to take blocks surrounded by 'main' roads- basically a square and the bits inbetween are recorded separtely.
If you do not have a street/road name and district you are wading through 100's of enumerators pages searching for a name.

So if you want a 1841 census search then further positive details
such as a definate address needs to be known.

regards

SKIPPY

attach shows info of district census
page shows copy info recorded

Offline tallted

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 April 04 19:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply Skippy.
The John Dolan I am looking for lived at 14 Back Allen(or Allin) Street in Chorlton Upon Medoc in Manchester.  I will certainly try those pages you suggested but I do not have any real dated. I am looking for my grt grt grndfthr who had a child in 1847, so I am kind of searching around.  I am guessing he was aroung 20 + when he was born so a b date of 1827 + would be a guess only. Anyway, thanks again for your efforts on my behalf.
Ted
Surnames I am Interested in:
Dolan, Banks, Chambers, Bemi, Hills, Crowe

skippy

« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 April 04 23:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I think the district is Chorlton upon (on) Medlock. I'll have a look
and let you know of any Dolans found.

regards,

SKIPPY

skippy

« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 April 04 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Ted,

Back Allen St is listed in All Saints Enumeration District 23 (1841)
Chorlton upon Medlock.

There are no house numbers listed but a search through enumeration
pages doesn't show a John Dolan.  
The street is shown on Alan Godfrey Map no 38 - Hulme 1844 -
its on the Wilmot St Left hand side corner of Cambridge St & Chester St.

Modern day map can be viewed Multimap - grid ref SJ840975.

Have you tried Manchester Street Directories - (Archive Books.com.   -   hope I've got the address right.)
or
asked for a search of directories via rootschat and/or Lancs look ups.

Sorry could'nt find your ancestor, hope the map info may be of some help.

skippy

« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 April 04 23:33 BST (UK) »
Sorry Ted should have also told you that really poor copies of 1841 census were not scanned/fiched and are not on discs, some copies on discs are virtually illegiable - So because I couldn't find John Dolan at Back Allen St, it doesn't mean to say that he wasn't there at that time.
You just have to look for a different avenue.
Why don't you try emailing your research problems to:- Manchester City Council - Family History Archives
and  see what research suggestions on their holdings they come up with. Maybe a lonshot but.....................