Author Topic: Marriage , Toronto area  (Read 3554 times)

Offline alan w jones

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage , Toronto area
« on: Wednesday 19 November 08 07:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello ,
I am hoping to find that a  Snell married a lady called S Harrison post 1915 please . I have a photo of them together in Salvation Army in Toronto Citadel Band  and am hoping they married . I know its a bit vague but thats all I have to go on .
Hoping for help ,
Regards
Alan

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage , Toronto area
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 November 08 02:35 GMT (UK) »
The Ontario marriage database at Ancestry had no Snell-Harrison marriages. That database covers the years 1857-1924 but there are missing entries so it is possible. If you had forenames for the individuals it might be easier to find something.
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline alan w jones

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 November 08 07:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jacquie,
Thank you for reply , I am sorry to be so vague . As a last chance I guess it is possible that he names of the two lady officers on photo might just not be left to right as I imagined , in which case the lady could be Captain J LLoyd. I am sorry I can't definately give a Snell christian name either. The Snell on photo looks very much like the William Snell who married my great grans sister Sarah { nee Prout } but he looks a bit younger . I know William had 3 brothers { albeit in England unless moved out } they were Frederick , Henry and Charley .
Clutching at straws a bit I know .
Regards
Alan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 November 08 08:27 GMT (UK) »
I couldn't find any marriages except for two for William Snell. The first to Sarah Prout on 20 Apr 1908 and the second to Margaret Burgers on 20 Nov 1920. I also found a death for Sarah Prout Snell on 11 Jun 1919.

Here are the details for the marriage to Margaret Burgers:

Name: William Henry Snell
Birth Place: Crediton Devonshire Eng 
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1886 
Father Name: William Henry Snell
Mother Name: Ann Pike Snell

Spouse Name: Margaret Burgers
Spouse's Age: 39 
Spouse Estimated Birth Year: abt 1881 
Spouse Birth Place: Belfast Ireland 
Spouse Father Name: John Burgers
Spouse Mother Name: Susan Keary

Marriage Date: 20 Nov 1920
Marriage Place: York 
Marriage County: York 
Family History Library Microfilm: MS932_523

I also found a death for William and Sarah's son, William Henry who died in 1913.

Could you provide dates of birth for William's brothers? There are some Snells by those names who are on the 1911 Canada census with immigration dates between 1900 and 1911.
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford

Offline alan w jones

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 November 08 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jacquie ,
Thanks for that .
Charley was born 1897 { aged 4 on 1901 census } Frederick was born 1898  and Henry was born 1890 . I hope this helps , thanks again
Alan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 November 08 23:11 GMT (UK) »
I didn't see any Snells on the 1911 Canada that fit the ages of the three brothers. I did find that a Charles Snell (17) and Fredk G Snell (15) arrived in Canada aboard the Ausonia which sailed from Southampton on 24 April 1913  and arrived in Quebec on 7 May 1913. The passenger list indicated they were going to their married brother in Toronto.
Here's a link to the passenger list at Library and Archives Canada (passengers 11 and 12 on the page):
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e144/e003585687.jpg

Here is a link to the first page of Charles Snell's WWI Attestation Papers. They indicate he was born 29 Apr 1896 in Crediton and, interestingly, he lists his sister, Mrs. Jennie Lay/Ley of Toronto, as his next of kin. He also lists his religion as Salvation which ties into your picture:
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-119.02-e.php?image_url=http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gat3/110804a.gif&id_nbr=240743

If you would like to order a copy of Charles Snell's WWI file you can do that online at this link:
https://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/copies/secure/005010-5100-e.php
or by mail or fax:
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/contact/index-e.html

The cost depends on how many pages are in the file if I recall correctly.

Offline alan w jones

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 November 08 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jacquie,
Sorry for delay in replying , I have been away for a couple of days . It looks very likely that it could be Charles then. I will digest the info you have given me . Thank you very much , a big help .
Regards
Alan

Offline alan w jones

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 November 08 05:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jacquie,
I am wondering if for some reason Charles Snell mght have given his sister in laws name as next of kin ? William Henry Snell married my great grans sister Sarah { nee Prout } as we know in 1908. Her sister Alice Jane Ley { nee Prout } went out to Toronto in 1913, her husband being Charles Henry Ley born 1890 Ilfracombe , Devon .
There may just be a marriage between a Snell and a Ley  that I don't know of though . I guess also that Alice Jane might have been known as Jennie ? You would have thought though that Charles Snell would have given Sarah as next of kin, although she died in 1919 .
Another conundrum to think of !
Regards
Alan