Author Topic: Blog: "Nothing But Bad Times"  (Read 53348 times)

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Blog: "Nothing But Bad Times"
« Reply #270 on: Wednesday 03 December 08 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Those are but a few of the pictures I have...unfortunately some are ack in my home and I won't be able to post them until Christmas time.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JJbeech

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: Wednesday 03 December 08 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi raeybo! ;D
What a sad, sad story beautifully, beautifully told!
Can i just add i LOVED the way you have slowly cropped your avitar, so as we got to know more about this amazing woman, she appeared to come closer and closer to us!! ;D
Sheer genius!!

BTW: you been in touch with a publisher yet??? :P

TC: XXX

jj

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: Wednesday 03 December 08 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt:
Just wanted to say Thank you for letting us learn about your family.. Thanks for putting on the pictures nice to see the faces of the people we have been reading about. You have made your family very proud..

Cheers
Anne
Yorkshire - Thompson. Savage, Morris, Richardson, Frankish, Mintoft, Myers, Barker, Hotchkiss
Shropshire - Hotchkiss
Derbyshire - Hardwick, Barker, Marples
Lancashire - Winstanley, Morton

Offline jethorp

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandad Jimmy Whitehead. Sprinkled with pixie dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: Wednesday 03 December 08 22:46 GMT (UK) »
You young man are a credit to all your family I am sure they are so so proud of you Thank you for the story and the photos.Have a wonderful family christmas Matt.
Buckley: from Saddleworth. Nield: from Oldham,Whitehead:from Oldham,Kenworthy:from Oldham, Heaton; from Oldham & Mossley,Dyson: from Oldham,Sykes; from Oldham, Durkin; from Oldham/Ireland.Lucas; from, East Lulworth Dorset South Shields.Harvey; from South Shields/Oldham. Swan/Swann; from Oldham and the Midlands McNeeny; Ireland/oldham lancashire.
Furmage; Dorset. Marks; Dorset. Biles: Dorset. Milberry: Farnham Surrey.Shorts: Dorset. Shorts: Dorset.

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: Thursday 04 December 08 06:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi

It makes me want to do the same on a smaller scale for my gt grandmother Ann Lee 1848-1940

There are a couple of the unknowns but they could be incorporated into the story.  However the story would not have such drama and the real tragedy was in the months after her death

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: Thursday 04 December 08 06:14 GMT (UK) »
P.S.

Many many thanks for all this
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: Thursday 04 December 08 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Matt I would just like to add my name to your admiration list ... you certainly have a talent for pulling the dates and family stories together into a compelling read. I didn't even need a bookmark, there it was each time almost top of my unread list. The continuing tragedies in their lives was a very sad tale though sensitively portrayed ... well done ... and great to see the photographs also.

You can be well proud ... definitely makes my efforts and scrappy jottings look a bit pathetic...

:) mare

Offline prophetess

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: Thursday 04 December 08 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt,
Nice to see , the photo's, there certainly something to treasure,
you have quite a fanclub here, and I am sure we are all going to miss your blog,

Well done Matt, I Truly am proud to have you as my friend
ORKNEY
FLETT, CLOUSTON,  WHISHART, SCOTT, BRUCE,
ABERDEEN AREA:THOMSON, ROSIE, CHAFFEY, ALLAN,               
GLASGOW;STEWART,  SPENCE,  DOUGLAS, BLACK , KEAYS(KEYS), MITCHELL,    JOHNSTON,  FLETT,  ALLAN, CALLAGHAN, JENKS,FINLAY,SMELLIE,TYSON

MORAYSHIRE: ALLAN, INNES, MCPHAIL, MATHEWS, STEWART, MCKENZIE, MCLEAN, PLOWMAN, MASSON, 
IRELAND:DOUGLAS,BLACK,McAULAY,KEAYS,TWEED,MITCHELL,
 ENGLAND: JENKS, WALKER,BALDWIN, HURST,PHILLIPS, CHAFFEY, ROBERTSON, ALLAN;JOHNSON, AMEY,Corston,Race

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: Thursday 04 December 08 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Fascinating to see the photos, thanks Matt!

I must say I think that Ellen, Nellie and Henry certainly have a twinkle in their eyes, and what a gorgeous baby Daniel is! It is amazing that Mary Ann kept her dark hair - specially after such a hard life.

Well, I am looking forward to the next installment of the story. Now you've got this far, you can't really stop till you get to the present day. Got to get it all written down, so the BBC can get cracking on that TV series - Nothing But Bad Times! Excellent title by the way!  ;)