Author Topic: COMPLETED (sort of) : Scrutton Street, EC2  (Read 6101 times)

Offline Aulus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The black sheep: Florence Stevenson née Hampson
    • View Profile
COMPLETED (sort of) : Scrutton Street, EC2
« on: Wednesday 19 November 08 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know how Scrutton Street got its name?

I have Scrutton ancestors who lived in that vague area in the 19th century.  None of my lot (so far identified) are likely to have had a street named after them, but it would be interesting to know if there might be a connection somewhere out of the limbs of the tree.
Lancashire: Stevenson, Wild, Holden, Jepson
Worcs/Staffs: Steventon, Smith
East London & Suffolk: Guest, Scrutton
East London: Palfreman (prev Tyneside), Bissell, Collis, Dearlove, Ettridge
Herts: Camac, Collis, Mason, Dorrington, Siggens
Marylebone & Sussex: Cole
London & Huntingdonshire: Freeman
Bowland: Marsden, Noble
Shropshire: Guest

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Scrutton Street, EC2
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 November 08 11:00 GMT (UK) »
It appears that Scrutton Street (it's in Shoreditch) was formerly called Chapel Street and the name was changed sometime between 1871 and 1880.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 November 08 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Times indicates that it was renamed Scrutton Street in 1878 (or rather, Chapel-Street and New North-street were combined and renumbered as Scrutton Street) - the Metropolitan Board of Works were in charge of renaming/renumbering streets and there might be some records of where they got the names from?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Aulus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 November 08 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shaun and Jorose.

Presumably the records of the Metropolitan Board of Works are at either London Metropolitan Archives or Westminster Archives?

Neither are somewhere I can get to particularly easily, so I'll have to post a lookup request.

Offline Aulus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 February 09 03:00 GMT (UK) »
A couple of Scrutton-related contacts in the last week or so has brought the news that there was a Scrutton family involved in shipping, and who owned land/propert in East London, so that's presumably where the name of the street came from.

All ;) I need to do now is work out if/how they're related to my Scruttons!

Offline Keithjwilletts

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED (sort of) : Scrutton Street, EC2
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 November 11 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm descended from Scruttons who were  Suffolkmariners  (Ipswich)  and went to London in the mid 1850's. One branch became immensley rich in shipping but my lot were their poor cousins. I met Tony Scrutton a few years ago who showed me a book published about the wealthy Scruttons and these are presumably who the street is names after. I am unsure how they fitted in with my family ( descended from George Scrutton born 1791). Does anyone have any information on the Scruttons who were ships chandlers in London docks in the late 1800's?

Offline Aulus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 November 11 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello Keith

Mine are the poor Scruttons too.  But I think another branch of poor Suffolk Scrutton mariners to your branch of poor Suffolk Scrutton mariners, as I don't have a George born 1791 in my tree!  Mine tend to be more Falkenham than Ipswich based (not that they're far apart).

My contemporary to your George is Jeremiah Scrutton, born 7 April 1794 Falkenham who moved to London, presumably in the 1830s (his second marriage was to Harriet Gardner 4 Nov 1838 at Holborn St Andrew's.  Jeremiah's second son, William Scrutton (25/3/1841-10/10/1904), who was variously a cellarman, a dock labourer and a wine porter, is my great-great grandfather.

I managed to pick up a copy of the book about the wealthy Scruttons (The History of the Scruttons by AE Jeffrey) a few years ago, which was quite lucky as it appears not to have been published as such, but printed for private circulation.  The wealthy Scruttons descend, according to that book, from Robert Scrutton (1730-1809), a tailor in Ipswich.

According to the tree printed in that book, Robert Scrutton's  youngest son James Scrutton (1768-1804) moved to London in 1783 and was one of the founders of a stockbroking company, Ellis, Scrutton & Co.  He married Susannah Urquhart (1769-1823): the Urquharts were in shipping.  They had a son Thomas Scrutton (1799-1867), whence all the Scruttons through the 19th & 20th centuries to run the shipping businesses.

Offline Keithjwilletts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Aulus. Tony Scrutton had researched (on paper) all of the Scruttons back to the 1400's and sketchily before. They all originate in the Felixstowe area and he speculated that they were perhaps Dutch in origin ( just across the North sea). My Scruttons originate in the village of Stutton (coincidence or what?) on the Shotley peninsnula. However, they must have known their connections to the rich Scruttons, as they were day hired dock workers in the London docks but seem to have got favourable treatment because they were 'family'. My Uncle John led one of the last big dock strikes in the 1950's and got himeslef on the front page of the Daily Mirror - I think the Scruttons were always quite vocal !!

Offline cps13

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 22:43 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Aulus. Tony Scrutton had researched (on paper) all of the Scruttons back to the 1400's and sketchily before. They all originate in the Felixstowe area and he speculated that they were perhaps Dutch in origin ( just across the North sea). My Scruttons originate in the village of Stutton (coincidence or what?) on the Shotley peninsnula. However, they must have known their connections to the rich Scruttons, as they were day hired dock workers in the London docks but seem to have got favourable treatment because they were 'family'. My Uncle John led one of the last big dock strikes in the 1950's and got himeslef on the front page of the Daily Mirror - I think the Scruttons were always quite vocal !!

Hi,

I have recently started looking into my family history and found that my great, great grandmother (Emma Elizabeth Scrutton) was born in Stutton and wondered if there is any connection?

Thanks