Author Topic: Burial - CHAPMAN - Kelshall  (Read 977 times)

Offline trish140660

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Burial - CHAPMAN - Kelshall
« on: Thursday 20 November 08 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Is there anyone out there who could check for a burial record in Kelshall parish records.  Looking for the death of Samuel Chapman who was born in Kelshall in approx 1819. We have him on the 1851 census but then we lose him completely. His son James Gibbons Chapman is living with grandparents on the 1861 census in Kelshall. Samuels wife Charlotte died in london in 1852 shortly after James was born and we believe he probably returned to Kelshall with his son and wonder if he died between then  and 1861 because we cannot find him on the 1861 census at all.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Kelshall
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 November 08 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Any record of his death from 1837 onwards should be on the GRO index (or freebmd) 

There is a death on freebmd in 1860 in Herts but no ages are shown on the index for that period so it's n/k whether it could be him

The registration district is Hertford which did not cover the Kelsall area

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline trish140660

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 November 08 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Part of the problem is that Chapman is such a common name.  I have ordered 3 death certs and none has come back as my Samuel which is why i am hoping that someone can check the parish records for me. Kelshall was, and still is, a very tiny village and most of the Chapmans that lived there are in our family tree.

Maybe i need to convince other half that he really does need a weekend away to Herfordshire. ;)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 November 08 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

I've just looked it up on Genuki and Hitchin registration district included Kelsall
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
Re: Burial - CHAPMAN - Kelshall
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 November 08 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish

I have checked the Herts Burial Index (which is not complete) but there is no sign of a burial for Samuel I'm afraid.  Perhaps someone who is going to HALS might be able to check the Kelshall registers for you.

Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline petercornish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 November 08 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish,

I will gladly search the Kelshall PRs for a possible burial on my next visit to HALS.       However, have you discounted the Samuel CHAPMAN age 51 born Herts shown in the 1871 census as visiting the home of George CHAPMAN, (age 30 also born Herts)  at 10 Queens Place, Islington under ref. RG10/303 F.66 P.56.?   Reference to IGI and previous census returns makes it a possibility.

Just a thought.

Regards   ...   Peter
Census information is Crown Copyright http:/www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline petercornish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 November 08 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish,

I searched the Kelshall PRs from 1851 and the seventh Chapman entry I found was for a Samuel CHAPMAN, age 52, buried on 24Aug1871.

Here's hoping.

Regards   ...   Peter
Census information is Crown Copyright http:/www.nationalarchives.gov.uk