Author Topic: Ship Owners - Bishopwearmouth  (Read 5761 times)

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Ship Owners - Bishopwearmouth
« on: Thursday 20 November 08 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks,

I am looking for information on the owners of the brig "Stephen Watson", of Sunderland, built in 1838 and weighing 219 tons.  According to newspaper reports she ran aground at Gunfleet Sand on the 13th December 1863.  Apparently bound for London carrying coal.  The brig was insured through Lloyds at £1400.

One newspaper gives the owners as Messrs. A. Watson and S. Grieves.  Whilst a second gives Alexander WATERS as owner.  One or both reports may be correct as ownership was in 64ths.  Alexander WATERS (my 3x gt grandfather) was also a master mariner, living most of his married life at East Cross Street, Bishopwearmouth.

From other postings it may, or may not, be useful to say that one of his daughters was Phoebe Thompson WATERS.

Any further information, or where to hunt for it in in Sunderland, would be welcome.

Regards

Mike

HANDS, HANDES, HANNS, HANNES, HANNE, HANNON (Yardley to Bromsgrove)
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
WATERS, Thurzo, Sutherland> Bishopswearmouth, Durham
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA
JAKENS, BIRD, CRAPPER Bury, HIGGINBOTHAM, HORRIDGE, CUNDIFF, Lancs
LEO, Galway/Tipperary, & CARROLL, Carlow Ireland

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Owners - Bishopwearmouth
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 November 08 09:17 GMT (UK) »
I found a lot about the boats owned by my ancestor in Middlesbrough at Kew.  It was many years ago now and I cannot remember the exact source.   I went to look at the Lloyd's Master Mariner's list (very informative) and this was an offshoot. 
Found the reference now - scrappy bits of paper are so useful! Lloyds Register of Shipping Mercantile Navy List      It was only a couple of tug boats - one was a paddle steamer - but there were several references.  Another source is Turnbulls Shipping registers - the local record office will know who holds those.  When I was doing this 20 years ago there was a local man who was very interested in shipping research.
Andrea

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 November 08 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Andrea

Duly noted.  Turnbulls Shipping Register is a new one for me.

Mike
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA

Offline Inicky

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 November 08 21:07 GMT (UK) »
there are masses of shipping things at Tyne and Wear archives. i think they were labelled under Lloyds something

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 November 08 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Inicky

Mike
GARDNER, Solihull;

Offline Inicky

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 November 08 21:52 GMT (UK) »
was alexander born in scotland ? i found an alexander waters in bishopwearmouth born scotland and a ship owner married to a isabella

Offline Inicky

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 November 08 22:02 GMT (UK) »
in 1841 census it shows him as a master mariner - born 1799. 

his name shows as Alexr Waters aged 42 born about 1799 in Scotland living in the Civil Parish of Bishop Wearmouth  Easington (North Division)   Durham

Registration district:    Sunderland
Sub registration district:    Bishop Wearmouth North

people living in the home in 1841 west side east cross street.

Alexr Waters    42
Isah Waters    40
Ann Waters    15
Elear Jane Waters    10
Isabella Waters    8
Pheobe Waters    6
Eliza Waters    4
Alexander Waters    2

P.S. I will be going to Tyne and Wear archives in about two weeks if you want me to have a look.  i cant promise anything and i will have to ask the guy how to get the info but if you say exactly what it is you want i will ask :)

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 November 08 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Inicky,

Yes that him.  I have his census details and some trade directory information already.

I am interested in anything to do with The Brig 'Stephen Watson'  The Official Number is O.N. 2661  Signal Code letters H.Q.C.K. recorded in 1857.  MN List (and therefore in others)
First registered Sunderland and,  240 t. sail  157._1838  This could be either her port number in 1838,  or the 157th. day in 1838
Could you please check/clarify with Sunderland archives the above information?

They should also have the Ship Transaction Documents which they should have on fiche.  They record a ship's owners during the period of her registration in that port, and can prove useful for further research into the life of a ship.
These fiche were issued by the Registrar to those port museums and/or libraries that wanted them, a few years ago.

Any other information on Captain WATERS would be most welcome.

I will gladly reimburse any expenses.
Many thanks in advance

Mike

PS  Just for information

Eleanor Jane WATERS married the Rev. Richard CHEW
Phoebe Thomson WATERS married the Rev. Arthur HANDS
Ann WATERS married Captain John Clifton McGregor
Eliza Mitchell WATERS married Captain Adam McDonald
GARDNER, Solihull;

Offline No-one

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 July 09 13:07 BST (UK) »
Dear Mike

One of my ancestors, Andrew Lovegreen, was a seaman on the Stephen Watson and in 1849 he died on board during a voyage from Sunderland to Petersburgh.

His widow subsequently petitioned Trinity House for a pension, and as part of the paperwork there is a recommendation of support from the ship's master, Robert Greeves, supported by the ship's owner Alex Waters, dated 11 December 1849. The owners of the ship are stated to be Messrs Waters and Greeves.

It seems that both men owned the ship, but that Mr Greeves also doubled as the ship's master at that time.

I hope that this helps clarify your ancestor's role.

With best wishe

Moni
LOFTUS Durham
LOVEGREEN Sunderland and Durham
ARMSTRONG Hexhamshire and Consett
LEATHEARD Northumberland and Durham
RICHARDSON Durham