Author Topic: Caldwell Hall  (Read 10970 times)

Offline patronh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Caldwell Hall
« on: Saturday 22 November 08 07:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi
In my research I keep coming up with the place name of Caudwell Hall, Ipswich. I know of Caudwell Hall Road, and wondered if there used to be a Hall and if so who owned it.

regards Patricia/
suffolk 
Spore, Quinton,
Norfolk
Rust, Powley, of Stalham and Martham. Grapes, Greenacre, Green, Glendenning, Breeze,
Berkshire
Ford, Goodall, Woolford Wilson, Smith, Marshall
Northamptonshire,
Russell, Burgess, Boys Thompson
Coventry
Barber, Beamish, Russell
London,
Casselle, Cassell, Castle.
Yorkshire
Breeze, Breze
Nantwich, Cheshire
Mason.

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Caldwell Hall
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 November 08 10:54 GMT (UK) »
if you google different spellings you have used you come up with different things!!

Thre is a Cauldwell road baptist church - IP4 5BS    or:

The Waldo Caldwell House, c. 1660 (25) was owned by Waldo Caldwell, an early American ancestor of writer Ralph Waldo Emerson. The site was also the home of Simon Bradstreet, later governor of the colony. His wife, Anne, daughter of Governor Thomas Dudley, is thought to be the “first American poetess."  and....

http://www.archive.org/stream/caldwellrecordsj00cald/caldwellrecordsj00cald_djvu.txt  says:

The name is speiled variously. In Domesday Book it is written
Caldeuuelle ; it may be likewise found — Caudwell, Cadwell, Col well,
Coldwell, Caldwall, Cauldwell, Caldwell. It was interesting to the com-
piler to notice that the invariable spelling of the name on the Ipswich
Town Records, for 200 years, was Caldwell.

Diddy

Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 November 08 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Regarding the Caldwell Hall noted by diddy miller, this is in a newer Ipswich, in Massachusetts, USA not the old one in Suffolk  ;D

No mention of a hall in Suffolk Houses by Eric Sandon.

There was an asylum in Caldwell Hall Road in the mid 1800s which of course could have been in the original hall.  Many such places were later demolished.

With a name like Caldwell Hall road there probably was a hall there at one time.

Why not email the Ipswich Society from their web site, they may be able to help further.

http://www.ipswichsociety.org.uk/

Pat ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 November 08 11:29 GMT (UK) »
OR

email David Kindred (photographer) at the East Anglian Daily Times sister newspaper, The Evening News.

It looks as though he has replied on this subject previously.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/083x/

Pat ...
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Hephzibah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 November 08 17:44 GMT (UK) »
In his 'Brief History of St John's Parish, Ipswich' Kenneth H Brown refers to the  land belonging to Cauldwell Hall Farm  and states that this had been the manor in the Middle Ages, records going back to at least the 1300s. It is also noted that Coppinger in his 'Manors of Suffolk' states that it was held by the Holbroke family from 1300 to 1370: in the early 1400s John de Cauldwelle lived there and from 1460 to 1473 Bishop James Goldwell, before becoming Bishop of Norwich is said to have lived there. later owned by Edmund Wythipoll who built Christchurch Mansion. Several other owners until 1848 when the Hall and land were put on the market and the farm ceased to exist.

Sorry can't be clearer  - in a rush to get out to see grandson swimming in the scout gala!
Hephzibah
PENDAL & variants: Suffolk; Bardwell, Tannington, Weybread, Dennington & Worlingworth
ELLINOR: Suffolk; Redgrave/ Gislingham.
GRAYSTON: Suffolk; Ipswich.
GIRLING: Suffolk; Stradbroke/Ipswich
HAWES: Suffolk; Harkstead/Holbrook/Capel St Mary/Ipswich
BECK: Co Durham; Chopwell & Northumberland; Newcastle upon Tyne.
MILLER: Cumberland; Mawbray/Hayrigg/ Silloth.
FAIRLAM: Co Durham; Allendale Cottages, Low Westwood, Milkwell Burn.
WESTGARTH: Co Durham; Bishop Auckland

Offline patronh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 November 08 00:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your response to my message.  It is good to find out about some of the history of Ipswich.

regards Patricia.
suffolk 
Spore, Quinton,
Norfolk
Rust, Powley, of Stalham and Martham. Grapes, Greenacre, Green, Glendenning, Breeze,
Berkshire
Ford, Goodall, Woolford Wilson, Smith, Marshall
Northamptonshire,
Russell, Burgess, Boys Thompson
Coventry
Barber, Beamish, Russell
London,
Casselle, Cassell, Castle.
Yorkshire
Breeze, Breze
Nantwich, Cheshire
Mason.

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 November 08 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Ken Brown has recently retired as the Local History Recorder for the St John area of Ipswich.  Unfortunately he does not have email.

His successor Andrew does have email and has taken over a lot of Ken's material. 

Of course eventually, much of a Recorder's material does find its way to the appropriate branch of the SRO.

Pat ...

Hon Recorders' Secretary
Local History Recorders
Suffolk Local History Council
www.slhc.org.uk

I have to find two more!

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 November 09 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Just noticed this thread while searching for something else. Diddy, Caldwell is spelt with a "double u" in Domesday, because at that time the letter W did not exist in the English alphabet, whilst the " u u" sound most certainly did. U was usually rendered as a V at this time and in earlier inscriptions, to complicate matters. I have noticed this usage whilst researching villages in the Doncaster ariea which end in the term "worth" I have "Brodesuuorde" for Brodsworth, and "Cusuuorde" for Cusworth etc. etc.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 December 09 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Patricia,

I have just noticed this thread and wondered if you were still interested in the ownership of this hall, particularly prior to its sale. I have some information as to the size of the property, the number of the animals on it, even the number of brewing vessels that one of the owners had prior to his demise and sale of his property.

There is also an advertisement of the final sale of the estate showing the exact nature of the fields, the names and acreage upon them-land which most likely now has been swallowed by building.

Tom