Author Topic: WW1 poem from BC to England  (Read 5853 times)

Offline Rossdal3

• RootsChat Veteran
  • The 3 Lions
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 poem from BC to England
« Reply #18 on: Monday 01 December 08 03:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi JJ,

I sent the poem from another email address, which has automatically reduced the size. I sent from my Hotmail address, so maybe check your "junk mail" as well!!

This is the message that came with the poem:

"A souvenir of the Great W. War. Poem composed by me the Hon president of the G.W.V.A. of B.C. and sent to France to cheer up the Boys after Armistice Day 11th Nov 1918.”  By Mrs W Holdsworth.  I wonder who she was?  Certainly not the wife of the person I posted about originally, who was JW Holdsworth.  Faulty memory on my part, as I realised once I rechecked the details!

regards,
Jill
Holdsworth
Gill
Stead
Pawson
Holmes
Craven
Gaunt
Austin
Wells/Coultas
Hardisty
Grange
Wedgeworth/Knox

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 01 December 08 03:55 GMT (UK) »
Here they are, Jill...Lovely poem. What a fantastic keepsake!   J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 01 December 08 04:00 GMT (UK) »

So she may or may not be a rellie then? The acronym stands for Great War Veterans Association....
Do you still want us to see who this lady was, then?

J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Rossdal3

• RootsChat Veteran
  • The 3 Lions
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 01 December 08 04:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much JJ. Yes I would love to know who she was!

My thought is that she married a rellie.  My gt gt Grandmother was a Coultas and this envelope was addressed to her nephew Milfred Coultas. Her Daughter married Thomas Henry Holdsworth and so I have been checking my tree for a W Holdsworth who lived in BC. The W probably stands for William, which is a common name in my Holdsworth (my maiden name) line.

I hope that I haven't confused you too much!
 ;D ;D ;D

Jill
Holdsworth
Gill
Stead
Pawson
Holmes
Craven
Gaunt
Austin
Wells/Coultas
Hardisty
Grange
Wedgeworth/Knox

Offline m holdsworth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 25 October 15 23:57 GMT (UK) »
thanks China!   ;D  I have some great information from this post, thanks so much to all concerned   :-*

I was thinking that all my family lines just died out ie. had girls, but now I'm researching further, it seems that many of the males emigrated and then sent for wives or girlfriends.  What an adventure/leap of faith!!!  :-\

Cheers,
Jill
hey jill I stumbled on this post doing some family research my name is mike Holdsworth and john walker Holdsworth and Ethel were my great great grandparents are you related to them? im trying to find out what happened to john I think he died around 1945 seeing as I have a picture of him with my grandfather in 1944 but im not exactly sure also not sure if he served in ww1 any info is appreciated thanks mike 

Offline Rossdal3

• RootsChat Veteran
  • The 3 Lions
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 26 October 15 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike,

How nice to hear from you!  It looks as though our common ancestor was Charles Holdsworth born about 1796 in Idle Yorkshire England. He was my 4x Gt Grandfather. My 3x gt Grandfather was William Holdsworth born about 1819, so far William's wife was is unknown although she was called Mary and she died in 1832 before any census documents that are still remaining. Charles Holdsworth his son to Mary Hornby who Charles married in 1833 is your ancestor and my 3x great grand uncle.

I have some other information on my tree if you would like to email me at (*).

I don't however have a death listed on my tree. My maiden name was Holdsworth, however it was a very common name in Yorkshire in the 1800s

regards,
Jill 

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

thanks China!   ;D  I have some great information from this post, thanks so much to all concerned   :-*

I was thinking that all my family lines just died out ie. had girls, but now I'm researching further, it seems that many of the males emigrated and then sent for wives or girlfriends.  What an adventure/leap of faith!!!  :-\

Cheers,
Jill
hey jill I stumbled on this post doing some family research my name is mike Holdsworth and john walker Holdsworth and Ethel were my great great grandparents are you related to them? im trying to find out what happened to john I think he died around 1945 seeing as I have a picture of him with my grandfather in 1944 but im not exactly sure also not sure if he served in ww1 any info is appreciated thanks mike
Holdsworth
Gill
Stead
Pawson
Holmes
Craven
Gaunt
Austin
Wells/Coultas
Hardisty
Grange
Wedgeworth/Knox

Offline m holdsworth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 26 October 15 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike,

How nice to hear from you!  It looks as though our common ancestor was Charles Holdsworth born about 1796 in Idle Yorkshire England. He was my 4x Gt Grandfather. My 3x gt Grandfather was William Holdsworth born about 1819, so far William's wife was is unknown although she was called Mary and she died in 1832 before any census documents that are still remaining. Charles Holdsworth his son to Mary Hornby who Charles married in 1833 is your ancestor and my 3x great grand uncle.

I have some other information on my tree if you would like to email me at (*).

I don't however have a death listed on my tree. My maiden name was Holdsworth, however it was a very common name in Yorkshire in the 1800s

regards,
Jill 

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Cheers,
Jill
thanks for the reply id like to see the information you have but they erased your email I have a tree on ancestry.ca my profile name is mikell63 I have a lot of the older family members on it mostly just get stuck when I need info from the 1930s and sooner I think Canadian records have to be 90 years and older to be released your welcome to have a look to mikell_63@hotmail.com
thanks mike

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 26 October 15 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike...Rootschat removes email addresses for your protection. If you make just one more post, you'll be able to use the private messaging system. Just click on the little rectangular page-looking thingy under a person's profile on the left.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull