Author Topic: Anastasia Best  (Read 7393 times)

Offline DarrenO

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Anastasia Best
« on: Saturday 22 November 08 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi first post time

I'm trying to find out as much as possible of mine and my wife's family history as I want to hand it down to my daughter who was born in May of this year.

A number of years ago, my father and I did some research and located Anastasia Best as being my G.G.G.Grandparent, being an unusual name i tried some online searching to no avail other than Griffiths has her recorded as Anastasia Rourke, which suggests her husband Michael died prior to the Carlow valuation (what year?), i only know that Michael was born in 1826. i was wondering if you could direct me to some other resources i could search on or possibly assist. i'd love to know more about this generation dates etc.

thank you and regards
Darren O'Rourke
Rourke's, Bowe's and Lawlor's of Carlow  Adamson's, Walker's, Nugent's and Murphy's of Dublin  O'Dea's and Keating's of Limerick  Murtagh's and Reilly's of Westmeath

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anastasia Best
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 December 10 19:40 GMT (UK) »
http://search.labs.familysearch.org
will get some 'Best' surnames, alas, only from 1864

Jack

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Anastasia Best
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 December 10 18:01 GMT (UK) »
A number of years ago, my father and I did some research and located Anastasia Best as being my G.G.G.Grandparent, being an unusual name i tried some online searching to no avail other than Griffiths has her recorded as Anastasia Rourke, which suggests her husband Michael died prior to the Carlow valuation (what year?), i only know that Michael was born in 1826. i was wondering if you could direct me to some other resources i could search on or possibly assist. i'd love to know more about this generation dates etc.

Do you know what religion your Best family were ?

Details for a number of Church of Ireland parishes in Co. Carlow are included on the Parish Record website at : www.irishgenealogy.ie

There are a number of registrations included for the surname on the website.
 see : Best CofI Bapt/Marr/Burials - Carlow

Most of the Griffith's valuation for Co. Carlow were published in 1852.

I would expect that Anastasia would be recorded under her married name on the return if she held property and her husband was deceased... did she remarry after her husband died ?

There are two properties listed on Griffith's where the landlord has the surname Best - both in the townland of Bestfield aka Dunganstown. The details state the land owner is 'Reps. of A.C. Best' - which stands for 'representatives of'. Usually this is mentioned where property was awaiting processing of probate after a death.

see also : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests