Author Topic: MacLeod/McKenzie Loch Broom  (Read 6428 times)

Offline mrsaird

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MacLeod/McKenzie Loch Broom
« on: Sunday 23 November 08 00:26 GMT (UK) »
I have unsuccessfully been trying to trace a birth certificate or census record for  a Margaret McLeod born in Loch Broom area in c1849. I have her in the 1901 census for Kincardine. Her father was a John McLeod a tailor and her mother a Jessie McKenzie. I can find no record of them in Loch Broom area. In the 1901 census her aunt Colina McKenzie, single aged 73 was staying with her. Her birthplace is given as Loch Broom but so far I have only found one Colina and the age is wrong. Margaret married in Croick Church a Donald McPherson when she was 19 years old.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MacLeod/McKenzie Loch Broom
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 November 08 01:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi  :)

If it helps, there is a baptism on the IGI (extracted) showing for a Colina McKenzie, Lochbroom on 7 February 1827. Father Charles. There is also one for 23 Aug 1829 but with father Kenneth.

However, there is  a death in Stirling 6 October 1913 of a Colina McKenzie, single, aged 85. Her parents are given as Charles McKenzie (weaver) and Bella m.s. McKenzie. The informant was a Bella Mcrae, niece.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 November 08 10:36 GMT (UK) »
I see that on their marriage cert. in 1868, Donald and Margaret were married 'according to the forms of the Free Church of Scotland' and Margaret was 19. Her parents were not stated as deceased on the cert.

If Margaret's family were of the Free Church when she was born, her baptism wouldn't appear in the records of the established Church of Scotland. The Old Parish/Parochial Records (OPRs) that are available on SP, IGI, etc. are only those of the Church of Scotland.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 November 08 10:51 GMT (UK) »
They appear to have only moved to Kincardine just before the 1861 census:

Kincardine, Ross & Cromarty:
71  ED 8 Page 4

John McLeod, 45, tailor
Janet, 40, tailor's wife
Maggie, 12,
Charlotte, 10
Bell, 8
Williamina, 2
Colina Mackenzie, sister in law, 34, dressmaker

all b. Lochbroom

Williamina's birth should be registered as this was after Jan 1855

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 November 08 10:56 GMT (UK) »
On 27 March 1859, when Williamina was born, the family were living at Morefield which is a small crofting area just to the West North West of Ullapool and on the shores of Loch Broom.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 November 08 11:08 GMT (UK) »

Morfield, Lochbroom  (written on census as Morfield but is today spelled Morefield)

75 ED 6 Page 25

Janet McLeod, 32, tailor's wife, ? Ross shire (get back to you on this)
Margt, 2, tailor's daughter, b. Morfield
Charlotte, 1, tailor's daughter, b. Morfield
Peggy McDonald, 19, servant, b. Rhue, Rossshire (about a mile further NW from Morefield)

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 November 08 11:17 GMT (UK) »
I think that Janet/Jessie was b. Keanachulish which is north of Ardmair. It's the nearest that i can come to the place written on the 1851 census (looks like Kinchulian).

I've known the area for over 30 years and lived there/holidayed there on and off for about 20 and it's the only place that I can think of that bears any resmblance to the writing.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 November 08 12:04 GMT (UK) »
John MacLeod, tailor, married to Janet Mackenzie, died 10 July 1891, Kincardine, R & C. His parents were  William MacLoed, corfter and Margaret, m.s. Maclean. Both deceased.

I've not yet found the death of Janet/Jessie.

Gadget

Offline mrsaird

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 November 08 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget
Thank you very much, that is absolutely great. I can now go and fit in another piece of the MacPherson side of the family. Now I am sifting through papers looking for an article in a newspaper re the death of Able Seaman David McKandie ( I dont think it should have the K) I had it in front of me the other day and now I have searched and searched, I have filed it somewhere it shouldnt be. :-[ but seriously that information is great and thanks once more.