Author Topic: Corrie family *COMPLETED*  (Read 30807 times)

Offline dunscore

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Corrie family *COMPLETED*
« on: Sunday 23 November 08 05:39 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to locate information on
Robert David Corrie who went to the Gilbert Islands in the South Pacific c 1859.
His mother and siblings migrated to Sydney, Australia in approx 1855.

He married a native lady in the Gilberts and had family there.

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
Re: Corrie family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 November 08 07:30 GMT (UK) »
Dunscore, welcome to rootschat.

Which country was responsible for the Gilbert Islands in 1859?  Maybe there are records still extant from the 19th C and they are lodged with that country... Just a thought as I have no idea of family hostory in relation to there.  It's a hard one it would seem.

charlotte

Offline dunscore

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 November 08 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Charlotte,

I think possibly Germany may have been involved with the Gilberts at the time, although it was under control of Britain as from 1892.  It became independent in 1979.

Cheers,
Dunscore

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 November 08 12:12 GMT (UK) »
So the records for this period may be in Germany?  How did the Brits come to run the place then in 1892?  No wars then? Might give a clue as to where theearlier records are, which is the reason I'm asking.
charlotte

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 November 08 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dunscore
I believe that the Gilberts wwere formerly known as the Kingsmill Islands in the 19th Century, and became a British Protectorate in 1892, then in 1915 a British colony. 

During WW2 they were invaded in 1941 by the Japanese, who were eventually defeated by US troups.

In 1979 the Gilberts became the independent nation of Kiribati. 

I didn't find any mention of German rule there.  This doesn't exactly answer your question of where to search for records, I know.

Gillg
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline dunscore

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 November 08 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks CharlotteCH and Gillg,

You are right Gillg about the Protectorate in 1892 and Independence in 1979.  My g. uncle was actually a witness to the signing of the Proclamation, according to the website info on the G. Is.

I have looked for BDM records at the PRO and GRO in London, obviously tried the G.Is. (I think it is all too hard for them as I doubt they have ever had anyone ask for them in the past) and Fiji.  The lass at the latter, was helpful and said they are now kept in NZ.  Gave me a contact there.  Although we exchanged a couple of emails, it seems to have fizzled out and I am no further advanced! 

I know it is a challenge, but one I hope to sort eventually.  According to an article in a Pacific Is. magazine I have from 1969, his daughter who was still alive then, said Robert Corrie had 12 children.  First wife died in childbirth with their 6th and then he remarried and had another 6!!

I "found" a g. grandson of Robert Corrie a couple of months ago in Qld. but they do not have much info on his g. grandfather unfortunately.

Cheers,
Dunscore

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 November 08 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Is there anything in the idea of asking on the NZ Board where the records are kept?   Once you know that then you might be able to get a lookup from SKS or a reference Library might help.

charlotte

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 November 08 12:56 GMT (UK) »
As the records that you need are probably in NZ I am going to move your post there in case anyone can help, even though the family eventually migrated to Australia.

Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dunscore

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 November 08 00:34 GMT (UK) »
I believe the records of BDM (post 1877) for the Gilbert Islands are kept at the Western Pacific High Commission (presumably in Auckland).  A gentleman from from the Auckland University was going to check (or have someone do it for him) for me, but that was weeks ago and I have heard nothing since.

I know some of the births will not appear, as they are pre 1877, but most I think would be afterwards, certainly all children from the second marriage and at least a couple from the first marriage.

I believe Robert David Corrie died c.1915 according to the magazine article, but I have found a couple of dates in that same article that I know are incorrect.  His (then) 81 year old daughter may have been a bit muddled with dates!

Cheers,
Dunscore