Author Topic: Emigrants to Gilbert Islands, South Pacific  (Read 12501 times)

Offline dunscore

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Emigrants to Gilbert Islands, South Pacific
« on: Sunday 23 November 08 05:52 GMT (UK) »
Robert David Corrie went to the Gilbert Islands c. 1859.
He married twice to native ladies (his first wife dying in childbirth with their 6th child).  His second wife also had 6 children.  The children were sent to Sydney for schooling.
I believe Robert Corrie died c. 1915.
If anyone can tell me where I can find birth, death and marriage records for the Gilbert Islands and give me any info on the family please?

Dunscore

Offline pn

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Emigrants to Gilbert Islands, South Pacific
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 November 08 05:58 GMT (UK) »

Hi Dunscore,

Welcome to RootsChat...

There is a birth for a Robert David Corrie on FreeBMD

1842 West Derby, Lancashire re: 291 2d  1st quarter

West Derby is part of Liverpool.

Do know his parents names?

Pauline
Canada
Lancashire, Cheshire,Westmoreland,Ireland,Cumberland,Cornwall
Middlesex
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dunscore

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 November 08 02:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pauline,
Sorry I don't think I replied to you, answering your question.  Thanks for the info.

That was indeed the correct Robert Corrie as I knew year of birth and that it was in Liverpool, although you could add further to that.

His parents were Alexander (Brice) Corrie and Elizabeth (nee Dawson).  He had six siblings, born in various parts of England.

Cheers,
Dunscore

Offline Silou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 March 09 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dunscore

My name is Silou and I'm from the Tuvalu Islands (formerly known as the Ellice Islands).
There is a huge extended Corrie family in Kiribati (formerly known as the Gilberts Islands) which I think are all descendants of Alexander Corrie. The latter's 2nd wife was our great great grandmother Fetukula and was from the Ellice Islands. (Remember the Gilbert and Ellice Islands were once a British colony).
From what we heard from our grandfather, Iosefa (Joseph) his mother, Samalia got a sister called Meli. These two were Alexander Corrie's daughters from the Ellice Islands before he left for Fiji.
Fetukula later joined him in Fiji and from what we know, have other children borned in Fiji too hence the Corrie Family in Fiji.
It's unfortunate I cannot provide exact dates for Alexander's arrival in the Ellice Islands and the dates of his departure as nothing was written down in those days by our ancestors.
It is exciting knowing that the Alexander and Elizabeth names appear in your posting as we have those names in our family as well.
As far as we know, Alexander had a brother called Ben who was resided in the Gilbert Islands but did not come to the Ellice Islands.

I just hope this information will give you an idea that we know of the people you were looking for.

Yours sincerely,
Silou

Offline Silou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 March 09 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dunscore

Alexander Corrie (our great great grandfather might have been born in the Gilbert Islands).
I also know that Alexander's other siblings were:

Henry, Agnes, Ben, (Pauline???)

Will get back with other names as soon as I have them.

Thanks.
Silou

Offline Debby2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 February 10 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dunscore/Silou/Pauline,
I read with interest your various postings, as I too am looking for one Alexander B Corrie from Dumfries, husband of Elizabeth Dawson. They had 7 children, one of whom was also named Alexander Brice Corrie b 1838 d 1923 in Granville,NSW, Australia. His father, Alexander snr, AB Seaman, is who I am tracking.
Their other son, Robert David Corrie, settled in the Gilberts and married twice. I was under the understanding that David's 1st wife was a Maori who died giving birth to Agnes, and his 2nd wife was from the Gilberts. He apparently disappeared at sea in 1915 with his 2nd wife and 2 of their children. This Robert was witness to the signing of the Proclamation of The Gilberts as a Protectorate of Great Britain in 1892. Locating Alexander snr and any further descendants he and son Robert had, would be wonderful.
I have a large amount of information on Elizabeth Dawson and her family but virtually nothing on Alexander. He arrived in Australia as crew on the same ship as his wife and 6 out of 7 children in 1855 at Sydney from London on the 'Bangalore'. Elizabeth's sister Mary Ann Thomas, emigrated to Canada and Elizabeth's other siblings emigrated to Australia.
Hope to hear from you soon on the subject.
Regards
Debby

Offline taleicorrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 October 10 01:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My name is Talei Corrie, I am a direct descendant of Alex Corrie – who was my nana’s father [he was the one that married the Tongan lady Wai Lolomoli] 
and also my nana’s eldest brother My dad (Errol Corrie's Grandfather), he was the one who married the Samoan lady...

I dont know what help this has - but I'm really interested in learning more about my family... so any help would be appreciated :)

Look forward to speaking with you soon!

Talei

Offline dunscore

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 October 10 11:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Talei,
Lovely to hear from you.  I have actually stayed with a granddaughter of Alex Corrie in Brisbane and we keep in touch frequently. 

I am actually going on holidays in less than 2 weeks but when I return, I will get back in touch with you.  Recently I met my first relative from Kiribati who stayed with me when visiting Australia.  She was the granddaughter of Agnes Corrie who was Alex Corrie's sister.

Do you still live in Kiribati?  If so, I wonder what you know of Alex Corrie's father.  His name was Robert Corrie and both he and his wife and two of their children drowned in 1915 between Tarawa and Maiana.

I will be in touch with you again as soon as possible.

Dunscore

Offline taleicorrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 November 10 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi :)

No I live in Australia with my dad Errol Corrie :)

I dont know much but I love finding out about my family - I do hope to hear from you soon! My dad should know a lot - Aunty Meta should know alot she has family trees :)

Talk soon

Talei