Author Topic: Ancrum Turnbulls  (Read 12780 times)

Offline Jimbly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ancrum Turnbulls
« on: Saturday 05 February 05 13:44 GMT (UK) »
We have traced our family back to Causewayend, Ancrum,looking for information on Walter Turnbull and son Walter,ages 37/38 and 5/6 respectively as of 1841 census. What happened to all the Turnbulls of Ancrum?  Thanks, Jim from Canada

Offline Andi R

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "Neither by chance nor fate"
    • View Profile
Re: Ancrum Turnbulls
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 March 09 23:42 GMT (UK) »
It may have taken four years but Ive found that one Turnbull (james) was married to a Helen Rutherford and he was a tennant at Bewcastle and she died aged 60 in March ???? and is buried at Ancrum and thats all I can make out on the attached pic

Ive tried every thing I can to the pic short of X ray and ultra sound  ;D ;D ;D

Probally useless but its here so
Co Durham_and_Roxburgh_Rutherford
Hampshire_Nichols
Durham_Wilkinson
Roxburgh_Burns_Pringle
Northumberland/Durham_Thompson_Rutherford
Cumberland_Nichols_(Holliday_Jackson-Flimby_area)
Whitehaven_Swainson
Whitehaven_Dobbins_Nulty

Offline Terie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 01:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jim,

this is a very large family of Turnbulls living around Causewayend in Ancrum,I wonder,  have you been in touch with Geri Whitlach who lives in Boise,Idaho,USA?

Geri is a descendant if this Turnbull family and has done quite a bit of research on them, I was able to help her out about 2 years ago with some records and photos of the Turnbull headstone from Ancrum Churchyard,a large red sandstone one, they were masons,

I have Walter Turnbull b Nov 23rd 1803, 3rd son of Richard & Isabella Turnbull, Richard died 1830 at Ancrum,
Walter married Margaret Michie, their son Walter married Elizabeth Ford,
do you recognize these names,

I can put you in touch with Geri if you want more info,

Amanda.
Robson,Hawick.
Dodds,Hawick
Huggan,Hawick.
Burns,Hawick.
Brash,Hawick.
Crawford,Lilliesleaf.
Hislop,Lilliesleaf.
Pollock,Roxburghshire.
Whillans,Wheelans,Scotland.
Kennedy,Ancrum.

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 21:54 GMT (UK) »
jimbly. My Turnbull OPRs shows Walter christened Ancrum 25-1-1805 with father shown as James Turnbull. No mother shown.
Possibly the Walters son Walter was born 1-2-1835 Ancrum with the parents shown as Walter Turnbull and mother Margaret Michie  who were married at Jedburgh on 28-12-1832

James Turnbull/Helen Rutherford marriage is not shown on OPRs probably they were married where she lived and not Ancrum.
You can get the Ancrum MIs from Borders family history Soc see web site.
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 April 09 20:22 BST (UK) »
jimbly I have found my Mi book for Ancrum.Three entries lying together.
1. In memory of Walter Turnbull,Mason who died at Causewayend 8-2-1904 aged 69yrsand Elizabeth Ford his wife who died there 25-10-1898 aged 58yrs also Elizabeth their daughter who died 10-4-1892 aged 24yrs.
2. In memory Richard Turnbull ,Mason son of William Turnbull,Mason and Isabella Davidson his wife died at Causwayside ancrum 5-6-1839(?) Isabella Turnbull wife of said Richard Turnbull and daughter of the late Walter Turnbull, weaver and portioner Lilliesleaf Jannet)?) WALKER(?) his wife died at Causewayside Ancrum -----also  George Turnbull son the above Richard Turnbull, Mason------
3. in mem ofWalter Turnbull who died at Chester 9-3-1864 aed 58yrs Jessie Renwick his wife died at ancrum 24-8-1881 aged 76yrs also a child whoi died in  infancy. also their eldest son James Turnbull who die at Lidgate ancrum 7-4-1905 aged 68yrs also Walter Turnbull youngest son of the above Walter Turnbull whoi died at Lanton Hall 15-1-1889 in the 66th year of his age  Jane SKEED who died at Lanton  Hall 3-6-1917 aged 70yrs.
I think No 3 is the one you are looking for. There are 32 headstones listed with Turnbulls but no other Walters.The photo provided by the other chap is also listed if you cannot read  it and want the info then let me know. Dont ask for the 32 listed but buy it from www.bordersfhs.org.uk.
Hope this helps
alan
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline Juniper0601

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 November 09 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,
I am researching my Turnbull origins from Ancrum, and also have an interest in Causeway End as members of my Brown and Turnbull families lived there over time.  I have back to William Turnbull (1753-bef 1837) m Isabella Davidson (christnd 1746,parents James Davidson and Isabel Easton. William and Isabella had Richard, George, Betty, William, Archibald, Janet, Peggy, Jean, all between 1778 and 1796. Richard's death is noted as June 5, 1830, Causeway End. He married in 1800 to Isabella Turnbull (b 1781 to Walter Turnbull and Janet Walker, Ancrum). Richard & Isabella had James, Walker RB, Walter (m Margaret Michie), Thomas C, Archibald C, Isabella (1817-1897) This Isabella Turnbull m Thomas Brown (1818-1888 Ancrum) and they had Thomas, Richard, Isabella, Elizabeth Davidson, Agnes, George, Margaret Scott, Janet Ann and John McEwan Brown. My gr-grandmother was Margaret Scott Brown who came to Australia in 1876.  I am slowly filling in the gaps and am very interested in the human stories surrounding these large families from Ancrum.  I would be interested in any information at all...especially about Causeway End and Ancrum itself. 
Jennie

Offline Wendidgo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 January 10 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello; It has been awhile since I viewed these posts.Thanks to Jennie!! Our line here in Canada is directly linked to William who married Isabella Davidson. We had no idea that Richard (d.1830) had so many siblings.Walter (m.Margaret Michie) had a son Walter m.Eliz.Ford,so far we have discovered that about 6 of their 13 children finally came to Canada. At this point,it seems that our mother is the last Turnbull of this line over here. As far as I recall,Walter and Margaret (Michie) also had a son George who moved to Australia and died in a place called Rookwood. Will post more info later. Thanks,James

Offline Jimbly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 January 10 22:06 GMT (UK) »
I have found the page reference for George Turnbull who we believe was buried in Rookwood Cemetery,Australia. If you are interested,Jennie,please contact me. James

Offline Juniper0601

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 January 10 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you James...am interested in any info at all on these Turnbulls.  My gr-grandmother Margaret Scott Brown came to Australia with some info/documentation but these were lost when the family chest containing all these items was stolen in the 1960s. It's been an interesting but rewarding journey to discover. The information I have to date has been gathered over time and Geri Whitlach also shared some research that she had undertaken.
Jennie