Author Topic: Death Certificates HELP needed with a George English  (Read 3429 times)

Offline REEDY

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Death Certificates HELP needed with a George English
« on: Saturday 17 April 04 00:20 BST (UK) »
Could someone tell me if every death had to be registered especially between 1881 and 1891.
This may sound a bit of a stupid question but I am trying in vain to find the death of a George English I know where he was born, where he married and everything about his children but I cannot find his death. I know he was alive in 1881 living in York and he had died by 1891
I have written every death for a George English( even variants of the name from St Catherines none in the Yorks area. I have even wrote to the GRO but without Success. I am now going through the list from St Catherines writting to each office. Can anyone help
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Brown,Jude,Hubbard,Bailey,Anderson Norfolk
Dalton,French,Elwes Lincolnshire
Reed,Mcquillan,Sullivan,Ruan Ireland
Hollingworth,Watson,Newill Leeds
English,Bryant,Powell,Lee
Beeby,Robson
Ellar,Pryer,Ingledew
Dearing,Hailer,Simpson

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re:Death Certificates HELP needed with a George English
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 April 04 09:06 BST (UK) »
Maybe he fell into the river one night and was never recovered. Would he have had enough property for his family to have him declared dead to inherit it, or is he one of the common masses, whereby they would have had very little reason to go through the legal hassle?

Are there any newspapers of the period which could shed light on his disappearance? Or maybe he was simply visiting elsewhere when he died? Any George English deaths of the right age, wrong place so far?.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 April 04 09:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Deaths must be registered by law,  but if he were to have gone missing without the family knowing his fate they would not have had to register a death.  It is possible his body may have been one of the unknowns,  registered by the authorities,  then the family have to go through a whole different procedure to get him declared dead if they are unaware of his fate.

Not a very satisfactory answer I am afraid.  

A surprisingly large amount of people go missing every year today,  I fear that at the end of the 19C they would have had less tools to track them than today.

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 April 04 09:40 BST (UK) »
Do you know for definate that he died prior to 1891, or are you assuming this because you haven't found him on the census?

Could he have died later than 1891?

Offline REEDY

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 April 04 12:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your help so far regarding Georeg English death I have checked Newspapers for York but no luck I have one wrong death certificate for him in Ware right age but wrong occupation and wrong informant.I know that he was dead by 1894 because his wife remarried in Burnley Lancs I cannot find George on the 1891 census so I think he had died.  It looks like his wife was living under another name(Martha Andrews) with her children In Stockton Durham. Her real name was Ann Elizabeth English born Melbourne Yorks age about 48 in 1891. If anyone can help locate her it might help
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Brown,Jude,Hubbard,Bailey,Anderson Norfolk
Dalton,French,Elwes Lincolnshire
Reed,Mcquillan,Sullivan,Ruan Ireland
Hollingworth,Watson,Newill Leeds
English,Bryant,Powell,Lee
Beeby,Robson
Ellar,Pryer,Ingledew
Dearing,Hailer,Simpson