Author Topic: Robert DESNEY - Durham Crematorium  (Read 2004 times)

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
Robert DESNEY - Durham Crematorium
« on: Monday 24 November 08 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi, could i possibly take you up on your offer...even though i never originally posted a request on the durham board?!

See, my estranged grandad Robert Desney as he was known at his time of death was cremated at Durham Crematorium (Crem no.59375). His ashes were scattered in the Crematorium Garden there. In the beautifully decorated Book of Remembrance for Durham Crematorium his name is entered for the 16th April with the message ‘In memory of a dear husband & friend 1995’. This is curious as I know that his second wife Gladys had died before in 1989...anyway yes. I have seen this entry online, but i would like an image of it to put into my family book that i am writing (you cant download anything)...so I was wondering if you were anywhere near, whether you could possibly try to take a photo of this particular page. I'm not sure if this would be allowed or not...Also, would you be able to find out whether a plaque was erected for him and more importanly WHO entered the comments in the book of remembrance itself??

This would be a great help as I live a long way away in the northn of scotland, but if you are not able to help, that's no problem!

Thanks
Alison

If
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline Evie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barnaby
    • View Profile
Re: If you need help.... for Durham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 November 08 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrea :)

Thanks for the message I will see what I can do.

Hi Alison  :)

Unfortunately I don't live in Durham anymore. I'm just wondering if Andrea could possibly move this as a separate topic for you because I am sure someone may live near by that may be able to help you. I'm basically just helping on line. You could try and ring them they're usually very helpful. Good Luck with your search.

Evie
Booth, Hornsby, Northumberland & Durham
Jackson, Northumberland & Durham
Douthwaite, N Yorks & Durham
Geldard, N Yorks
Ward, Cheshire & W Yorks
Swallow, Boid, W Yorks
Kirby, Lowe, Studholme, Geary, Emery, Baldock

census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JayG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Robert DESNEY - Durham Crematorium
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 November 08 13:51 GMT (UK) »
I don't think you'll be allowed to take a photo of the book, but if you can I think you'd need to go that date (16/4) so the page was on display.

I think your best bet is to contact the crem, details can be found here.

http://www.durhamcrem.co.uk/index.html

Cheers

Jay

Offline NorthernerDownSouth

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 April 17 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am putting together War Records for Medals that have been passed down in my family and think I may be able to get hold of a picture for you of Robert Desney. Is it still wanted?

Kindest regards,

Rich

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 April 17 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Rich

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

Although Alison's profile shows she was online here a few months back, her email address is no longer valid so she won't get any notifications that we have posted on this topic.

Maybe she will return one day just on the off-chance, fingers crossed.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 April 17 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Rich

I've just been looking through some of Alison's post and she made contact with a relative here

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=243067.0

If all else fails you could try sending him an email using the encrypted details posted.

We don't normally allow email addresses in posts, but that one from so long ago must have slipped under the radar.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 November 18 01:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rich,

Wow! I have been absent from this site for over ten years - I changed my email many years ago. I spent many years researching my tree in a big way but then my Dad died and I lost the appetite for it. Robert Desney (aka originally Desmond Salter) is my dad's dad...and he was the ONLY missing piece of the jigsaw...

It would be absolutely wonderful if you could find a photo of him!!? He was always estranged to my dad. Nobody has ever seen a photo of him...

I am praying that you see this reply - it would mean the world to me as I would dearly love to know more about him and this line - Salter is my own Surname and I do not even know beyond my dad.

Fingers crossed that you see this...thank you so much for replying!

Alison xxx
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 December 18 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Welcome back to Rootschat :-)

May I ask if you ever got a photo of the page in the Book of Remembrance?

Boo

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 December 18 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Yes thanks - over ten years ago I managed to get a photo of the relevant page...still hoping that the poster above will return with the hope of a photo...

Alison